Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lobo Amor

We got realignment talk!

People talk about Nebraska leaving the B1G.  Won't happen. Why would the leave one of the top 2 conferences for anything else?  Yeah their sports suck but they have stability, money, and improved academic prestige ( and access to the CIC).

Same with Mizzou.  They aren't leaving the SEC unless they could get into the B1G.  Money and stability plus playing in the best football conference.  

No one is leaving either of those conferences.

On 3/20/2020 at 2:12 PM, Lobo Amor said:

I'd have West Virginia in the ACC over Houston and Maryland over Memphis, and switch around Colorado and Kansas.

The ACC will never invite West Va.  Their bad feelings about them is historically ingrained for not being a confederate state.  Those Southern rednecks are stubborn in their way of thinking.      

3 hours ago, SDSUfan said:

Too many egos, WAY too many egos for anything resembling Pac-Big merger.

USC will not take a back seat to Texas. 

UCLA values its academic reputation far too much to join the academic also rans that populate the Big 12.   They'll stay with Stanford and Cal

Washington and Oregon might be tempted.

Losing Arizona would be addition by subtraction a as far as the Pac is concerned.  Their middling basketball success notwithstanding.  They're a football cripple

Az St has always and will forever be in the "sleeping giant" category so who knows?  For that matter, who cares?  They won't move the Big 12 needle

Depending who is involved the Academic standard could be enhanced in a merger.  
Texas and Kansas are already AAU members.  Missouri should they come is AAU.  The combined conference could have 12 AAU members.   

3 hours ago, Wyobraska said:

People talk about Nebraska leaving the B1G.  Won't happen. Why would the leave one of the top 2 conferences for anything else?  Yeah their sports suck but they have stability, money, and improved academic prestige ( and access to the CIC).

Same with Mizzou.  They aren't leaving the SEC unless they could get into the B1G.  Money and stability plus playing in the best football conference.  

No one is leaving either of those conferences.

Nebraska has talked about going back.  I think it’s unlikely but their athletics have suffered without playing in Texas.  A conference with 12 AAU schools isn’t exactly chopped liver. 

On 3/20/2020 at 11:43 AM, SleepingGiantFan said:

You mean by a loony bin resident, right?

Most realignment threads have at least a sliver of merit. This one, however, is a major fail.

This whole discussion was kicked off by comments by USC’s AD.

https://dailytrojan.com/2020/03/04/the-point-after-despite-all-the-rumors-usc-should-not-yet-leave-the-pac-12/

It’s been spurred by people being bored and having nothing else sports wise to talk about.   

26 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Nebraska has talked about going back.  I think it’s unlikely but their athletics have suffered without playing in Texas.  A conference with 12 AAU schools isn’t exactly chopped liver. 

Where is there any proof of that?  I think Snyder might have made a comment but I have never saw anything remotely like that from Nebraska.  You don't voluntarily leave the B1G for the reasons I listed.  

40 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

No, they havent.  Some of their fans have grumbled about the good ol days, but nobody in any position of authority has even hinted at returned.  Because it would be a dumb move.  Same with Arkansas and Missouri, who have fans with similar lamentations.

Btw...Nebraska's downtown started long before they left the Big 12.  It just accelerated when they did.  And their true heyday occured without them playing in Texas.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

15 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

Where is there any proof of that?  I think Snyder might have made a comment but I have never saw anything remotely like that from Nebraska.  You don't voluntarily leave the B1G for the reasons I listed.  

I have seen comments by Osborne I believe who I get isn’t in the current admin.   I get Nebraska may likely say no but a group of Oklahoma, Colorado, Kansas etc would be dumb not to ask.  

If Nebraska says no they have contingency plans in Baylor, Oklahoma State, Iowa State and even Arizona State.  

2 hours ago, aztech said:

The ACC will never invite West Va.  Their bad feelings about them is historically ingrained for not being a confederate state.  Those Southern rednecks are stubborn in their way of thinking.      

The Atlantic Confederate Conference?

1 hour ago, Wyobraska said:

I think he may be referring too Nebraska and Oklahoma wanting to resume their rivalry. The only way the yearly rivalry could resume is if they're in the sale conference.

1 hour ago, Lobo Amor said:

I think he may be referring too Nebraska and Oklahoma wanting to resume their rivalry. The only way the yearly rivalry could resume is if they're in the sale conference.

Grew up on OU/Nebraska being one of the big games every year. Miss that rivalry. Daughter and son in law live in Lincoln, they have no idea what they’ve missed. 

Realignment talk happens every year, normally after the school year is over. Other than the realignment moves of 2010-14, most of it's been rumors and hasn't panned out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_schools_changing_conference_in_the_2010–2014_NCAA_conference_realignment

Just for sh!ts and grins (and ignoring the “likelihood” of it all happening), a thought experiment:

USC, UCLA, Missouri, Nebraska to the Big 12.

Puts the Big 12 at 14, Pac 12 at 10, SEC at 13, and the B1G at 13.

SEC nabs Clemson, ACC poaches West Virginia (who has no intention of playing in a conference that is a state away from coast-to-coast), and Notre Dame is informed that their next TV deal won’t pay as much as their current one and finally agrees to join the B1G.

Big 12= 13, SEC= 14, ACC= 14, B1G= 14, Pac 12= 10.

Cincy goes to Big 12; Boise St., Nevada, UNLV, and San Diego St., go to the Pac-12*; AAC takes Appalachian St.; Sun Belt left holding the bag, or convinces someone to move to FBS.
*more hopeful than probable; another option is the Pac-12 goes back to being the Pac-10.

All P5 conferences at 14; all G5 conferences at 12 with possible exception of Sun Belt.

Is it fitting or irony that possibly the most versatile word in the English language is also of unknown origin?

5810036134_cb4d739b38_b.jpg

On 3/21/2020 at 7:09 PM, Spaztecs said:

I'm referring to recent success in this century

On 3/21/2020 at 7:11 PM, soupslam1 said:

Well you would be right if you were talking about 2019-2020. 

Reality lies between your polarized positions.

In the last dozen football seasons, UCLA has won just two bowl games and finished below .500 half the time whereas SDSU has 10 consecutive winning seasons during which it has won bowl games half the time. I'm not going to bother to delineate SDSU's basketball accomplishments over that period since they're well known here. As to UCLA, since winning four games in the tournament the Bruins haven't got past the Sweet 16, which they've reached three times, or just once more than SDSU and the Aztecs are almost certain to have gotten there this year whereas it's not clear UCLA would have qualified for the NCAAs and the Bruins actually had a losing season one year although SDSU did not.

Bottom line is that in basketball, the two schools have been pretty even the last dozen years but in football, SDSU has clearly been better.

With Dan Guerrero finally being pushed out the door, UCLA should soon reverse its negative football momentum and perhaps turn around its basketball stagnation but time will tell. In the interim, UCLA's athletics department is in the red as badly as Hawaii's and how embarrassing is that?

Boom goes the dynamite.

17 hours ago, sactowndog said:

Well absolutely nothing in that Daily Trojan article suggests that USC AD Mike Bohn even hinted at joining the MWC and the idea is preposterous.

One thing the Daily Trojan article does mention without expounding on it is the P12's overemphasis on Olympic sports. Nobody except school presidents and Title Niners gives a damn about Olys and success in them therefore doesn't help with Pac12 Network ratings nor do they bring in any box office or gear sales revenue.

Now Oregon State and Washington State being given a push out the door to the MWC might be a compromise that everybody inthe P12 except fans of those two schools could live with. (As far as I'm concerned, adding those schools and their tiny locations and fan bases wouldn't help the MWC one iota, however.)

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 hour ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

Reality lies between your polarized positions.

In the last dozen football seasons, UCLA has won just two bowl games and finished below .500 half the time whereas SDSU has 10 consecutive winning seasons during which it has won bowl games half the time. I'm not going to bother to delineate SDSU's basketball accomplishments over that period since they're well known here. As to UCLA, since winning four games in the tournament the Bruins haven't got past the Sweet 16, which they've reached three times, or just once more than SDSU and the Aztecs are almost certain to have gotten there this year whereas it's not clear UCLA would have qualified for the NCAAs and the Bruins actually had a losing season one year although SDSU did not.

Bottom line is that in basketball, the two schools have been pretty even the last dozen years but in football, SDSU has clearly been better.

With Dan Guerrero finally being pushed out the door, UCLA should soon reverse its negative football momentum and perhaps turn around its basketball stagnation but time will tell. In the interim, UCLA's athletics department is in the red as badly as Hawaii's and how embarrassing is that?

I don't understand how they could be in the red so much.  They get about $20 mil/yr and haven't made any capital improvements like a new stadium or arena.  Also sounds like the bRuin boosters may have shut off the money faucet.  Still, where is the money going?    

1 hour ago, aztech said:

I don't understand how they could be in the red so much.  They get about $20 mil/yr and haven't made any capital improvements like a new stadium or arena.  Also sounds like the bRuin boosters may have shut off the money faucet.  Still, where is the money going?    

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mercurynews.com/2020/01/24/uclas-budget-whammy-the-bruins-are-bleeding-cash-and-require-a-bailout-from-campus/amp/

2 hours ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

Well absolutely nothing in that Daily Trojan article suggests that USC AD Mike Bohn even hinted at joining the MWC and the idea is preposterous.

One thing the Daily Trojan article does mention without expounding on it is the P12's overemphasis on Olympic sports. Nobody except school presidents and Title Niners gives a damn about Olys and success in them therefore doesn't help with Pac12 Network ratings nor do they bring in any box office or gear sales revenue.

Now Oregon State and Washington State being given a push out the door to the MWC might be a compromise that everybody inthe P12 except fans of those two schools could live with. (As far as I'm concerned, adding those schools and their tiny locations and fan bases wouldn't help the MWC one iota, however.)

I think the comment was more about USC joining the Big 12.   That idea is possible but I think an airport meeting on a merger is more likely.  Both conferences have a population gap compared to the Big10 and Big 12.  Both conferences have deadwood to unload.