Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ridgeview2

34 years of blood, sweat and tears, gone in 2 weeks. (Update)

My uncle called me tonight in tears. His business that he opened up with my grandfather in 1986 will be closing its doors because of the Coronavirus shutdowns. He ran a small party rental business here in Bakersfield and the paranoia/fear of the pandemic has completely destroyed his business. He has set up concerts for the biggest names in music including Michael Jackson, AC/DC, George Strait, and Garth Brooks. He cashed in his 401k that was worth over $275k and after the market crashed has been reduced to $75k. Just two weeks ago we were making final preparations for my wedding and how we were going to seat everyone and decorate the tables. Now I know that's not going to happen and we will need to find alternatives. I am literally shaking, my blood is boiling and I'm simply devastated with what is happening to our community. He is not the only one closing their doors, family owned restaurants that have been here for 50+ years are closing for good.

The most frightening thing he told me though was what his secretary said to him earlier today. She is married to a line worker at Grimmway Farms and if you think panic buying is a problem right now, just wait 8-10 months from now when we have a real food shortage. The CDC and state officials have placed Grimmway farms on mandatory quarantine because the lines aren't big enough for workers to be spaced 3 feet apart on the sorting line. None of the workers are out in the fields and they just received news that all of the fields next week have to be disced under when the carrots and other crops haven't even been picked yet!! All the crops and fruits left are those that are in cold storage that will run out in 3 months. It will take 2 months to clear the fields and then replant which will take another 2-3 months and grow. Grimmway Farms and Bolthouse Farms both worth billions are in danger of going under and not be able to provide food for the central valley and the rest of the United States. California is the bread basket for this country and 1/4 the planet. Shit is getting real! Our governor has no phucking clue what he's doing and the damage he is causing. I'm done, I am simply done. I'm crying right now.    

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

I’m really sorry to hear that about your uncle that’s terrible.  :( 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

15 minutes ago, ridgeview2 said:

My uncle called me tonight in tears. His business that he opened up with my grandfather in 1986 will be closing its doors because of the Coronavirus shutdowns. He ran a small party rental business here in Bakersfield and the paranoia/fear of the pandemic has completely destroyed his business. He has set up concerts for the biggest names in music including Michael Jackson, AC/DC, George Strait, and Garth Brooks. He cashed in his 401k that was worth over $275k and after the market crashed has been reduced to $75k. Just two weeks ago we were making final preparations for my wedding and how we were going to seat everyone and decorate the tables. Now I know that's not going to happen and we will need to find alternatives. I am literally shaking, my blood is boiling and I'm simply devastated with what is happening to our community. He is not the only one closing their doors, family owned restaurants that have been here for 50+ years are closing for good.

The most frightening thing he told me though was what his secretary said to him earlier today. She is married to a line worker at Grimmway Farms and if you think panic buying is a problem right now, just wait 8-10 months from now when we have a real food shortage. The CDC and state officials have placed Grimmway farms on mandatory quarantine because the lines aren't big enough for workers to be spaced 3 feet apart on the sorting line. None of the workers are out in the fields and they just received news that all of the fields next week have to be disced under when the carrots and other crops haven't even been picked yet!! All the crops and fruits left are those that are in cold storage that will run out in 3 months. It will take 2 months to clear the fields and then rleplant which will take another 2-3 months and grow. Grimmway Farms and Bolthouse Farms both worth billions are in danger of going under and not be able to provide food for the central valley and the rest of the United States. California is the bread basket for this country and 1/4 the planet. Shit is getting real! Our governor has no phucking clue what he's doing and the damage he is causing. I'm done, I am simply done. I'm crying right now. 

I know it's no solace to you or your family, but Newsom knows exactly what he is doing by collapsing our economy. The phrase "Never let a good crisis go to waste" has never been more a propos.

ezgif-5-959914ff2250.gif.f0cc4fc558f5a154dc6ff5904c80bf34.gif

Yup. It may just turn out for every life we "possibly" save, another 5 are ruined.

Nobody really knows how bad things will be or how quick this can be handled, but I just don't have a good feeling about it.

If this isn't temporary and only 30 days max. It's going to get real bad.

DUI's have gone up this week in Vegas.

88k deaths from alcohol per year in the US

50k deaths from suicides per year in the US

Some people will be saved from the big bad corona virus, but when all these people who were in thriving jobs just last week are now caught in limbo without a job, stuck at home, nothing to do?

Drug, alcohol and mental illness will fill those numbers instead.

We'll see if it's all worth it in the end. I'm gonna say no in most cases.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

23 minutes ago, Maynard Delecto said:

I know it's no solace to you or your family, but Newsom knows exactly what he is doing by collapsing our economy. The phrase "Never let a good crisis go to waste" has never been more a propos.

Every time he opens his mouth fear mongering spews out. Schools haven't even been closed for 3 days and he's already saying students will likely not return until the Fall. He just made a proclamation for schools to close for 3 weeks. Not even 48 hours later he's saying they will be closed for the remainder of the year. How about we wait the 2 weeks then evaluate where we are at THEN make a decision to close the schools for the rest of the year.  

58 minutes ago, ridgeview2 said:

The most frightening thing he told me though was what his secretary said to him earlier today. She is married to a line worker at Grimmway Farms and if you think panic buying is a problem right now, just wait 8-10 months from now when we have a real food shortage. The CDC and state officials have placed Grimmway farms on mandatory quarantine because the lines aren't big enough for workers to be spaced 3 feet apart on the sorting line. None of the workers are out in the fields and they just received news that all of the fields next week have to be disced under when the carrots and other crops haven't even been picked yet!! All the crops and fruits left are those that are in cold storage that will run out in 3 months. It will take 2 months to clear the fields and then replant which will take another 2-3 months and grow. Grimmway Farms and Bolthouse Farms both worth billions are in danger of going under and not be able to provide food for the central valley and the rest of the United States. California is the bread basket for this country and 1/4 the planet. Shit is getting real! Our governor has no phucking clue what he's doing and the damage he is causing. I'm done, I am simply done. I'm crying right now.    

Set up a go fund me.  I will contribute 200 and others will too.   Post the link here and on the Barkboard. 

3 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Set up a go fund me.  I will contribute 200 and others will too.   Post the link here.   

Thank you for the kind offer, I will speak to him about it. He will be making one last Hail Mary pass tomorrow when he meets with the hospital board directors about getting a contract to be the tent provider for Coronavirus testing around the county. When I find out more information I'll let you know.   

Just now, ridgeview2 said:

Thank you for the kind offer, I will speak to him about it. He will be making one last Hail Mary pass tomorrow when he meets with the hospital board directors about getting a contract to be the tent provider for Coronavirus testing around the county. When I find out more information I'll let you know.   

It’s time for us all to come together regardless.   

1 hour ago, ridgeview2 said:

Just two weeks ago we were making final preparations for my wedding and how we were going to seat everyone and decorate the tables. Now I know that's not going to happen and we will need to find alternatives.

I'm done, I am simply done. I'm crying right now.    

Sorry to hear about your family’s struggles. But don’t lose hope. While there is tons of uncertainty some things might not be as bad as they seem right now. Maybe some of the stimulus stuff can help out.

Also just wanted to say about the wedding - Congrats! - however it ends up happening. And remember that the only thing that matters is you two enjoying each other. 

45 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Sorry to hear about your family’s struggles. But don’t lose hope. While there is tons of uncertainty some things might not be as bad as they seem right now. Maybe some of the stimulus stuff can help out.

Also just wanted to say about the wedding - Congrats! - however it ends up happening. And remember that the only thing that matters is you two enjoying each other. 

I think we have decided to still hold the ceremony in the church (priest, bride/groom, wedding party, immediate family), but we will have the reception with everyone a few months down the road in June after the isolation has been lifted. It will definitely be a story to tell our children about and will be one of the more unique weddings my friends have ever attended. Lol  

1 hour ago, ridgeview2 said:

I'm sorry for your uncle.  That's tough.  Well written post by you.

On your other point, I did get a little freaked out when a realtor I am working with who owns three meat processing plants said his deliveries didn't come today.  You are right, there will be some shortages.  We have food, and I don't see people starving, but there will be supply chain interruptions.

Ridge - sorry to hear all that and I hope it works out.  Seems crazy what is being forced on that ag business.  We need all the production available now.

110926run_defense710.jpg

Things are uncertain and scary, for sure. It's terrible what your family is going through. 

My sister-in-law was to get married soon. Like yours, it has been altered. As a matter of fact, we spoke of the same idea. I think she's too upset to go through with it anytime soon. This is affecting life in ways no one imagined before last Friday afternoon.

My sister-in-law and her fiance were supposed to go on a cruise to Baja two weeks ago. After lots of pleading from my wife, she agreed to cancel it. All we're happy that she did. Especially after the news of quarantined ships.

Anyway, congratulations to you and your fiance. Continue to be that great team through this.

11 minutes ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

Things are uncertain and scary, for sure. It's terrible what your family is going through. 

My sister-in-law was to get married soon. Like yours, it has been altered. As a matter of fact, we spoke of the same idea. I think she's too upset to go through with it anytime soon. This is affecting life in ways no one imagined before last Friday afternoon.

My sister-in-law and her fiance were supposed to go on a cruise to Baja two weeks ago. After lots of pleading from my wife, she agreed to cancel it. All we're happy that she did. Especially after the news of quarantined ships.

Anyway, congratulations to you and your fiance. Continue to be that great team through this.

We are scheduled to take our honeymoon to Hawaii in the first week of May, but we will probably cancel that. We don't want to risk air travel right now. We will probably drive to the coast and spend  a week in a hotel. Thank you for the kind words, my uncle is very resourceful and I know he has the connections to land on his feet. It is just horrifying how in just 10 days our economy has been crippled and millions of lives are financially ruined.  

I to am saddened at the news of your family business going under. You aren't alone in this. I and many others are wondering what the future holds as well.

As to the discing of fields with food growing in them , wtf ?

As to your pending nuptials, congrats. I do feel bad that you can't have the celebration you would like,  but the more important issue is you and your brides decision to share your life together. That, is more important than the party. Don't allow the loss of a celebration to impact the start of a life's journey together.

Best of luck to you and yours no matter how this current situation unfolds.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

6 hours ago, ridgeview2 said:

So sorry to hear about your uncle. There’s got to be a better way to deal with this. The panic and fear is doing infinitely more damage to Americans than the virus itself. I have a soft spot for Bakersfield and Team Kern County. I grew up over the mountains in Ridgecrest which, of course, is eastern Kern County. 

kat.jpg

9 hours ago, ridgeview2 said:

I feel for you and your uncle.  There are people living in fantasy land right now, but people in the real world will pay a huge price.  Somehow, we are going to shut down the entire country for not just weeks, but months, and the government is going to save us with printed money.