Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

toonkee

Coronavirus Politics

2 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

This is true, but service workers, freelance workers and hospitality workers in urban areas are also getting hammered, and a lot of them are deep blue. So it's not clear how that people in red areas are hurting the most. I'll be interested to see those studies when they come out. And they definitely will.

It's complicated.  Freelance workers are absolutely getting hosed.  A lot of hourly hospitality workers are actually making more on unemployment right now than they were when they were working.  

Other fields too.  That's why Lowes and home Depot are doing mass hirings.  Remember you don't have to get let go to get unemployment anymore if you can claim it's a hardship due to Covid.  Which about anyone with a kid or elderly parents can do.

The Trump core demographic is definitely getting hammered more than most.  Meanwhile, they live in areas that have the least issue with Covid generally.

1 minute ago, CPslograd said:

It's complicated.  Freelance workers are absolutely getting hosed.  A lot of hourly hospitality workers are actually making more on unemployment right now than they were when they were working.  

Other fields too.  That's why Lowes and home Depot are doing mass hirings.  Remember you don't have to get let go to get unemployment anymore if you can claim it's a hardship due to Covid.  Which about anyone with a kid or elderly parents can do.

The Trump core demographic is definitely getting hammered more than most Meanwhile, they live in areas that have the least issue with Covid generally.

Hmmm....anecdotally, I'm not sure they are. Las Vegas and other tourist based places are getting shellacked and will continue to do so likely long after the grand re-opening, as people will likely just be reluctant to travel for a while.  Events will likely slowly filter back. many of those workers are Hispanic and in blue states like Nevada and California. Plenty of urban folks are getting s-canned and let go.

I'm certainly not diminishing the economic pain  of "trump's demographic" though. I'm sure there's plenty of financial anxiety to go around. I'm just not sold that this is hitting Trumpers so unfairly yet. 

But your last sentence seems to make a lot of sense. But as a type that I think of that meat packing shutting down because hundreds are getting sick.  It's so hard to make good decisions about what to do because we just don't really know what's happening altogether.

The SBA loan plus up is the big political fight.  The democrats governors can only keep extending the lockdowns if the Feds pay for it.  That's why Pelosi is digging in her heels on the payroll protection loans even though she is holding a bad hand on fighting the clean bill.

1 hour ago, NevadaFan said:

America was more educated in the 30s than it is now? I find that hard to believe. 

What I said was hyperbolic to make a point. Which is that the percentage of un- or ill-informed people in today's America is shocking.

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 minute ago, toonkee said:

Hmmm....anecdotally, I'm not sure they are. Las Vegas and other tourist based places are getting shellacked and will continue to do so likely long after the grand re-opening, as people will likely just be reluctant to travel for a while.  Events will likely slowly filter back. many of those workers are Hispanic and in blue states like Nevada and California. Plenty of urban folks are getting s-canned and let go.

I'm certainly not diminishing the economic pain  of "trump's demographic" though. I'm sure there's plenty of financial anxiety to go around. I'm just not sold that this is hitting Trumpers so unfairly yet. 

But your last sentence seems to make a lot of sense. But as a type that I think of that meat packing shutting down because hundreds are getting sick.  It's so hard to make good decisions about what to do because we just don't really know what's happening altogether.

Las Vegas is getting hosed.  But are the hourly hotel workers?  At least in the short term?

Your last paragraph is a good point, and goes to the argument that NVGiant has been making.

1 minute ago, CPslograd said:

Las Vegas is getting hosed.  But are the hourly hotel workers?  At least in the short term?

Your last paragraph is a good point, and goes to the argument that NVGiant has been making.

Some are not, that is true. Sands corp and Wynn are still paying most.

I believe MGM folks are laid off though.

3 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

It is. But those are our two bad options. Use the credit card or prepare for mass civil unrest as more and more people sink underwater. There is no economy out there to alleviate their suffering, the government shut it down.

Yes. I haven't seen anybody say so here but I'm beginning to wonder whether Trump might get reelected in part because he's pushed for getting people back to work whereas a number of Democratic governors have been dragging their feet on doing so.

Boom goes the dynamite.

26 minutes ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

Yes. I haven't seen anybody say so here but I'm beginning to wonder whether Trump might get reelected in part because he's pushed for getting people back to work whereas a number of Democratic governors have been dragging their feet on doing so.

That's something I've been thinking about.  I think if the economy is recovering in the fall, not recovered but on the right track, then Trump has an easy election.  If not, the crazy hair sniffer has a solid shot.  All other factors remaining status quo of course (no new wars, etc.).

1 hour ago, CPslograd said:

The Trump core demographic is definitely getting hammered more than most.  Meanwhile, they live in areas that have the least issue with Covid generally.

That is another reason for UBI.  We have made things so complicated that a lot of people are slipping through the cracks.  Just simplify all these programs.

Posted Image

3 hours ago, BYUcougfan said:

If a football (or basketball, or soccer, or whatever) player wants to pay for a venue, play the national anthem, and invite media to film him/her kneeling through it.....then go for it.  A perfectly good expression.  If you do it using a platform someone else paid for and is paying you to represent them there, then you get what you have coming to you.

This is quite different than what the folks in Michigan are doing.

Who knew the reaction was all about employers rights. I mean, the 49ers were supportive of it, and matched Kap’s million dollar pledge.  So I am sure it was about that.

6 hours ago, FresnoFacts said:

It goes back further and is bigger than just the trust with government. Americans also have lower trust that their fellow Americans will do the right thing.

Various studies like the General Social Survey have been tracking a decline in American's trust in government and each other since the late 1960s.

In the US, the percentage of people who trust government in Washington DC fell decades ago and just bounces up and down slightly now. The high point since 1972 was 48% in 2001, still less than half the US trusting government. A quick summary:

• 73% in 1958
  • 77% in 1964
  • 65% in 1966
  • 54% in 1970
  • 36% in 1974
  • 29% in 1978
  • 33% in 1982
  • 45% in 1984
  • 33% in 1990
  • 21% in 1994
  • 39% in 2000
  • 48% in 2001
  • 31% in 2006
  • 22% in 2010
  • 19% in 2014

I think the sadder one is our trust in other Americans. Since 1990, interpersonal trust (measured by agreement with the statement "most people can be trusted") has been between 30% and 35%.

Sweden is a high trust country. For example, the government recommends but does not legally require vaccination. Yet 98% of Swedish parents vaccinate their children.

Way back when a mans word and a hand shake meant something. Now there are neighbors suing neighbors over silly things. There are also a ton of scam artists out there. I may trust a small circle of family and friends. Outside of that I’m wary of most people until I get to know them. How many people do you trust? 

1 hour ago, NVGiant said:

Who knew the reaction was all about employers rights. I mean, the 49ers were supportive of it, and matched Kap’s million dollar pledge.  So I am sure it was about that.

Why would you conflate the reaction to a provocative act and whether the person had the right to use a platform he/she did not pay for to grandstand?

23 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Way back when a mans word and a hand shake meant something. Now there are neighbors suing neighbors over silly things. There are also a ton of scam artists out there. I may trust a small circle of family and friends. Outside of that I’m wary of most people until I get to know them. How many people do you trust? 

Nah. People are at least as trustworthy as they've ever been and a hell of a lot more trustworthy than say the 1880s. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

11 minutes ago, BYUcougfan said:

Why would you conflate the reaction to a provocative act and whether the person had the right to use a platform he/she did not pay for to grandstand?

Because employer rights had nothing to do with the reaction. You should probably come up with another excuse as why it’s so different. The backlash had nothing to do with the venue of the protest. 

10 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Because employer rights had nothing to do with the reaction. You should probably come up with another excuse as why it’s so different. The backlash had nothing to do with the venue of the protest. 

Sorry, but I am not even sure what you are saying anymore.

4 hours ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

And given the idiocy of so many of their fellow citizens, why should they?

80 years ago, when Americans heard W.C. Fields say "never give a sucker an even break," they were all well enough educated to know he was joking. Today, when Jim Rome says "if you aren't cheating, you aren't trying," half of his listeners are so clueless that they think he's being serious.

Probably because they are SEC FANS where it is serious. 

3 hours ago, toonkee said:

Do your tips count toward unemployment? 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

22 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Do your tips count toward unemployment? 

Not usually 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater