Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

toonkee

Coronavirus Politics

2 hours ago, alum93 said:

6 white guys and Ivanka.  Lovely.  Trump family make up 2/7 of the council.  I'm sure they will get it right.

Their race is irrelevant.  But it’s laughable that Ivanka and Jared are on that task force. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 hour ago, UNLV2001 said:

Nevada not included....

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 hour ago, UNLV2001 said:

What are the details? If the governor of Washington has a major say in whether I can go to a local park in my county like a month from now, I'm going to be annoyed. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

2 hours ago, alum93 said:

6 white guys and Ivanka.  Lovely.

Yeah but with Ivanka's conversion, four are Jewish. That's as much diversity as there used to be in an entire 5-story Trump tenement building.

Boom goes the dynamite.

25 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

What are the details? If the governor of Washington has a major say in whether I can go to a local park in my county like a month from now, I'm going to be annoyed. 

We can go to parks. just social distance and don't play on playground equipment. So maybe if the governor of Washington has a major say, you're going to be unexpectedly relieved

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

Just now, UNLV2001 said:

yes, saw NV left out - Wonder why NV not included ?!?! 

Yeah. Kinda shocked as Sisolak seems to follow California’s lead on this (right or wrong and I don’t really have an issue with how Sisolak has handled this for the record). 

Just now, mugtang said:

Yeah. Kinda shocked as Sisolak seems to follow California’s lead on this (right or wrong and I don’t really have an issue with how Sisolak has handled this for the record). 

That and the three states along with NV have Govs on the same wavelength politically at least 

Just now, happycamper said:

We can go to parks. just social distance and don't play on playground equipment. So maybe if the governor of Washington has a major say, you're going to be unexpectedly relieved

Hm. I think if the governor of Washington opened my neighborhood park, I wouldn't be for it. I'd be against it. Cuz eff Washington. They think they're so smart and great, what with their orcas and their volcanoes and whatnot. 

But seriously, I think this is generally more of a sign to be optimistic than not. But I'll believe it when I see the details. My hope is the interstate stuff will generally be limited to travel so you don't get a situation like you did on the east coast. I get the sense that my most recent local restrictions are related more to state and regional restrictions AND to publicized perceptions on how well or poorly we are doing at staying in our homes than on the actual numbers here. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

5 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

That and the three states along with NV have Govs on the same wavelength politically at least 

Yeah.  We’re California’s largest border so :shrug:

9 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Hm. I think if the governor of Washington opened my neighborhood park, I wouldn't be for it. I'd be against it. Cuz eff Washington. They think they're so smart and great, what with their orcas and their volcanoes and whatnot. 

But seriously, I think this is generally more of a sign to be optimistic than not. But I'll believe it when I see the details. My hope is the interstate stuff will generally be limited to travel so you don't get a situation like you did on the east coast. I get the sense that my most recent local restrictions are related more to state and regional restrictions AND to publicized perceptions on how well or poorly we are doing at staying in our homes than on the actual numbers here. 

First, we were first in giving ventilators to New York, now this. Oregon and our liberal, bi-sexual governor are quietly leading you all. Time to buy some stock in Subaru and kombucha, because we’re taking this bitch over! 

4 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

First, we were first in giving ventilators to New York, now this. Oregon and our liberal, bi-sexual governor are quietly leading you all. Time to buy some stock in Subaru and kombucha, because we’re taking this bitch over! 

Don't pretend Oregon is anything more than a stretch of highway between California and Seattle. 

2 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Don't pretend Oregon is anything more than a stretch of highway between California and Seattle. 

My real question is if any Oregonians will get the vaccine since vaccine’s are apparently harmful and so many idiots in Oregon are anti-vaxxers.... :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, mugtang said:

My real question is if any Oregonians will get the vaccine since vaccine’s are apparently harmful and so many idiots in Oregon are anti-vaxxers.... :rolleyes:

I bet Marin has more anti-Vaxxers

5 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

The stretch of Highway is the only part we let Californians see

1 minute ago, NVGiant said:

I bet Marin has more anti-Vaxxers

Almost certainly, at least per-capita.

2 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

The stretch of Highway is the only part we let Californians see

I don't need to see the wilds of the interior of that state to know I don't want to. I just have to smell the hitch hikers in Shasta City. 

5 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

I don't need to see the wilds of the interior of that state to know I don't want to. I just have to smell the hitch hikers in Shasta City. 

That’s the smell of freedom