Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

toonkee

Coronavirus Politics

he Times reports the president’s family trusts all have investments in a mutual fund whose largest holding is Sanofi, the manufacturer of Plaquenil, the brand-name version of hydroxychloroquine. Associates of the president, including Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross, have also run funds that hold investments in the pharmaceutical firm.

One of the Final Five..........

25 minutes ago, mysfit said:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/trumps-personal-stake-in-the-malaria-drug-maker-sanofi-could-be-as-small-as-99-2020-04-07

The New York Times says Trump has a “small personal stake” in Sanofi, the French drug manufacturer that produces the drug.

The report doesn’t say how small, but it notes that his three family trusts have investments in a Dodge & Cox mutual fund whose largest holding is Sanofi. A fund that matches this description is the Dodge & Cox International Stock Fund US:DODFX, which at last check was 3.3% invested in Sanofi.

Trump’s 2019 financial-disclosure form lists stakes in Family Trusts 1, 2 and 3 valued at between $1,001 and $15,000. So if Trump has the maximum $15,000 in each of the trusts, he holds a stake in Sanofi that’s worth $1,485 — and, at the minimum, just $99.

It turns out he does look to have more than that modest sum invested in Sanofi, because, unmentioned in the Times report, his trusts also hold broader European stock-market index funds. 

The iShares Core MSCI EAFE ETF US:IEFA has 0.67% of its holdings in Sanofi, and Sanofi is a 0.78% holding for the iShares MSCI EAFE ETFUS:EFA, which is neither surprising nor notable, in that the French drug maker is so large.

And Trump has a small stake in basically every big company you can think of.

The amounts he owns of that company are so small and inconsequential to somebody like Trump.  I doubt he even knows he’s invested in it. 

Plus I’d imagine quite a few Americans are invested in that mutual fund even without knowing it. 

https://www.kiplinger.com/slideshow/investing/T001-S001-the-30-best-mutual-funds-in-401k-retirement-plans/index.html

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

36 minutes ago, mugtang said:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/trumps-personal-stake-in-the-malaria-drug-maker-sanofi-could-be-as-small-as-99-2020-04-07

The amounts he owns of that company are so small and inconsequential to somebody like Trump.  I doubt he even knows he’s invested in it. 

Plus I’d imagine quite a few Americans are invested in that mutual fund even without knowing it. 

https://www.kiplinger.com/slideshow/investing/T001-S001-the-30-best-mutual-funds-in-401k-retirement-plans/index.html

Almost like there is a reason to put your assets in a blind trust when you are president so you don't give the image of conflict of interest even if its bogus. 

1 minute ago, tspoke said:

Almost like there is a reason to put your assets in a blind trust when you are president so you don't give the image of conflict of interest even if its bogus. 

Believe me I get that.  I don’t like that he didn’t put his assets into a blind trust. It’s always bothered me. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Just now, mugtang said:

Believe me I get that.  I don’t like that he didn’t put his assets into a blind trust. It’s always bothered me. 

Yeah it wasn't a shot at you. Was just pointing out when people start railing on the media for fake news about this. It was good to point out the truth about it but also that it's an easy fix for the president to stop these conflict of interests stories. 

2 hours ago, mugtang said:

There are a number of things to be concerned about with Trump but this is not one.   Why spend time on this topic when you have the IG fiasco, suspension of Habeas Corpus, scapegoating the WHO, treatment on Crozier.   The list goes on but that topic isn't on the list.

2 hours ago, sactowndog said:

There are a number of things to be concerned about with Trump but this is not one.   Why spend time on this topic when you have the IG fiasco, suspension of Habeas Corpus, scapegoating the WHO, treatment on Crozier.   The list goes on but that topic isn't on the list.

Scapegoating the WHO? Uhh, that one is pretty justified.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

4 hours ago, mugtang said:

If you thought that he gave two shits about his stake in Sanofi then look back to 2017 when his speech of direct price negotiation of prescription drugs devalued the company by nearly 3 billion euros. 

18 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Scapegoating the WHO? Uhh, that one is pretty justified.

The got a test out much sooner than we did.   Yes they have to deal with bad actors in China but they weren't minimizing this thing.  Given how much better much of the world has done handling this pandemic than us you don't hear them complaining.

5 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

The got a test out much sooner than we did.   Yes they have to deal with bad actors in China but they weren't minimizing this thing.  Given how much better much of the world has done handling this pandemic than us you don't hear them complaining.

Ummm, they had boots on the ground in China. They knew the scope of the problem and lied to the world, touting Chinese talking points. They were bad actors as well.

2 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

What are you talking about? They literally towed the CCP party line the entire time as this thing was spreading around the world. They had one job, one single job, and instead of doing it they echoed propaganda without a hint of skepticism. The only parts of the world that have handled this well are the ones who instinctively didn’t believe China from the outset. 

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

1 minute ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

What are you talking about? They literally towed the CCP party line the entire time as this thing was spreading around the world. They had one job, one single job, and instead of doing it they echoed propaganda without a hint of skepticism. The only parts of the world that have handled this well are the ones who instinctively didn’t believe China from the outset. 

Didn’t Trumptard initially echo that same rhetoric? Can he throw himself under the bus?

1 minute ago, NevadaFan said:

Didn’t Trumptard initially echo that same rhetoric? Can he throw himself under the bus?

Trump can go to hell. But he doesn’t have the power to make people stupid about what happened. They choose that on their own.

12 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Dude China was in lock down and people could not get flights out.  Exactly how was the WHO minimizing this thing.  I have messages to people in China starting in Nov.  Not to mention the US had their own intelligence data.

Nor do you or I know what the WHO was saying privately to intelligence agencies.  Yes global political statements regarding China have to be handled delicately as the NBA found out or you can end up with no data.