Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

toonkee

Coronavirus Politics

3 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Boeing employs 150,000 people. 3 million filed for unemployment just this week. Things aren’t getting better soon. The scale of the problem is beyond what would be reservations in normal times.

Like I said I mostly agree with you.  Boeing being the only possible exception.

9 minutes ago, mugtang said:

No but he’s questioning the need for ventilators because he’s a medical expert. 

Could it be possible that one of his medical experts on the task force believes that 40,000 ventilators for NY is unnecessary?

That misleading clickbait of a headline is pure trash.

1 hour ago, Wyobraska said:

I've never heard of The Intercept website.  Anyone else?  

https://theintercept.com/2020/03/26/americans-for-prosperity-cdc-coronavirus/

The Koch brothers need to go to work in NYC hauling corpses from from the morgue to the cemetery.

Rat Feckin bastards.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

26 minutes ago, mugtang said:

No but he’s questioning the need for ventilators because he’s a medical expert. 

He's not a medical expert, but he has claimed to have a natural instinct for science.

:rimshot1:

Americans Mayor

14 minutes ago, tailingpermit said:

Could it be possible that one of his medical experts on the task force believes that 40,000 ventilators for NY is unnecessary?

That misleading clickbait of a headline is pure trash.

And you some how magically know more then the mayor of NYC, the Guv of NY, and their medical advisors ?

Quit playing politics asshoe !

Animation Dog GIF by UGLY GIFS

Americans Mayor

She’s having a temper tantrum.  She does know that corporations employ people and this is so those people don’t get laid off and are forced on to the government unemployment rolls, right?

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

11 hours ago, mysfit said:

Social distancing is a (relatively) short term solution to buy healthcare the time it needs to obtain equipment and to slow the rate of coronavirus admissions to something manageable. That's actually more of a concern than the mortality rate. How do we keep the number of hospital admissions low enough that it doesn't swamp the system and how low does that need to be in order to providing care for all the other illnesses requiring treatment. They've had to cancel all elective surgeries in order to have any hope of managing this. Elective surgeries keep hospitals in business. It isn't sustainable in the long run to have to put all that on hold.

While we buy that time in the near future, we also ramp up our testing capabilities.

When we have all that lined up ( 2 to 6 months), we can back off the social distancing. Testing, widespread testing capacity, along with contact tracing, will allow us to target more limited areas where we will need social distancing to manage the admission loads. Instead of entire states, it will be cities or counties.

All the while we work on a vaccine. Once we have that vaccine, this will become like our typical seasonal flu's in terms of managing it.

That's the path with the least disruption to the economy, best option to not overburden health care and also to minimize loss of life.

We have to respond now, aggressively, in order to preserve our health care system and especially the workers. Once we can test, we can back off that and then apply it over a smaller area with more precision.

In terms of opportunity, I'm talking about our society and the need to level the wealth and earning power. We need to transit from a factory based society to service with a more remote work base. We are at the point of the next phase after the industrial revolution. A recalibration of the workplace and structure of society. A change from factory to service.

This upheaval from the pandemic could, should, lead to more lasting change on the structure if our society.

It's not about going back to what we had so much as moving forward to something more equitable and sustainable.

People won't lock themselves in their rooms for 6 months. They may nOt even do it for 2. Let alone to get closer to some utopia that half of them dont want anyways. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

11 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

I normally agree with Justin Amash on most things. But comparing the two situations is just stupid. This isn’t like previous economic crises. Investment banks weren’t playing fast and loose with crappy mortgages, car manufacturers weren’t selling themselves up the river to short sighted unions, fools who didn’t understand how to monetize the internet weren’t speculating in a strange new arena. Nobody did anything wrong here.

The government shut the economy down. Picking nits and delaying while a lot of the country are losing their jobs with no market to get another one, seeing their life’s work go up in smoke, having to tell their people they can’t pay them...all while facing the prospect of have many loved ones die in a short time without even being able to attend a funeral because of the risk of spreading the germ to more loved ones. It’s beyond irritating to see them play normal politics when what is going on is anything but normal. If Amash or anybody else is so worried about too much of the money falling into the hands of people who don’t need it, raise their taxes next year and get it back later. But to quibble over bullshit like this is infuriating.

edit: also steps off soapbox

Wed be in a much better position to handle the crippling debt that will come out of this if the tea party practiced in the last 3.5 years what they preached in the 7 before that. The dude has a point.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

52 minutes ago, mugtang said:

She’s having a temper tantrum.  She does know that corporations employ people and this is so those people don’t get laid off and are forced on to the government unemployment rolls, right?

Are the Corps going to pay us ? I doubt it.

Obviously, the Senate and House have zero shame about this excessive pork flowing to the billionaires while they argue over whether the working classes are getting to much money.

The Donald Has Made America Great Again !  

For Billionaires

Americans Mayor

What a clown

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Yeah, it's definitely confusing. Maybe Trump was banking on this GM deal being good to go, so he wasn't worried about ventilators moving forward? And now that they're apparently not holding up their side of the deal he's pissed off? I dunno.

There's a lot of talk about how Trump and Obama would handle this differently, I think this is the big one. I'm guessing Obama would have used his DPA powers right away and gotten hammered by the Right for "over-reach", as opposed to Trump's strategy of using DPA as leverage to get corporations to do stuff on their own. 

2 minutes ago, FresnoFacts said:

Last night, Trump was on Hannity questioning the need for large numbers of ventilators.

Today he is blasting corporations for not building them fast enough.

I was just going to post this article from The Hill

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/489849-trump-lashes-out-at-gm-ford-over-ventilators

What an absolute cluster+++++ of a president

He likes capitalism when it works for him. But he expects everyone else to set aside when he wants something

Retooling a factory is not cheap. It costs money BUT it also puts a lot of people and suppliers to work.

I don't think it's possible to have someone WORSE in the oval office than what we have right now. The anti-leader leader

One of the Final Five..........

3 minutes ago, Fort Fun said:

Yeah, it's definitely confusing. Maybe Trump was banking on this GM deal being good to go, so he wasn't worried about ventilators moving forward? And now that they're apparently not holding up their side of the deal he's pissed off? I dunno.

There's a lot of talk about how Trump and Obama would handle this differently, I think this is the big one. I'm guessing Obama would have used his DPA powers right away and gotten hammered by the Right for "over-reach", as opposed to Trump's strategy of using DPA as leverage to get corporations to do stuff on their own. 

They sent a quote of 1 billion for the retooling and product

His White House said oh no thanks we don't like the price. And so it dropped.

No one does anything for free. That's capitalism.....

One of the Final Five..........

4 minutes ago, mysfit said:

800,000 physicians can't all be wrong 

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5e7e0bb3c5b6256a7a29273f

zombomeme27032020102743.jpg.66c4bec12da31ddd3e0210815bc3762a.jpg

Americans Mayor