Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

toonkee

Coronavirus Politics

Some of you left leaning types spend way too much time paying attention to what Trump says. You must love being aggravated. Haven’t you learned by now most of it has little value. You would save yourself a lot of grief by tuning him out. I rarely watch his news conferences even about the Cvirus. I pay more attention to what he actually does politically and particularly those things which have an influence on policies that get passed by Congress. Most things I like, some I don’t

And yes he is a buffoon but I still fear him less than Democrat candidates and Democrat policies. 

2 minutes ago, retrofade said:

It's almost as if they don't have brains of their own.....

Seriously?

We're faced with a serious crisis and all they can offer is partisan pablum?

They're like borg

One of the Final Five..........

19 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Some of you left leaning types spend way too much time paying attention to what Trump says. You must love being aggravated. Haven’t you learned by now most of it has little value. You would save yourself a lot of grief by tuning him out. I rarely watch his news conferences even about the Cvirus. I pay more attention to what he actually does politically and particularly those things which have an influence on policies that get passed by Congress. Most things I like, some I don’t

And yes he is a buffoon but I still fear him less than Democrat candidates and Democrat policies. 

You don't think what he SAYS right now is as important, or more important, than what he DOES right now? Especially as it pertains to the house arrest situation (which is largely dictated by the state and local authorities)? Because I've been a vocal in my critique of how these house arrests have been communicated, implemented and planned for. But I also have enough sense to know that turning the issue of whether you stay in your home or not into a referendum on how you feel about Trump is a very, very bad thing. And you can argue that Newsom and all the other governors and local leaders who pulled the trigger on house arrests early were acting in a way to set themselves apart from Trump, to be 'men of action,' to make the president look bad politically. I may even agree with some of that analysis. But the fact is that Trump in the tweet posted above seems to be turning what should be a coordinated and unified (if complex and multi-faceted) response into a MAGA rally. 

If Trump really cared about getting people back to work, he would at this moment be actively working with the governors of the hardest hit states and offering what they need both rhetorically and materially (words and ventilators) while also making a clear, cohesive and consistent argument to them behind closed doors that these shutdowns can't go on forever and pressuring them to get an exit strategy for these shutdowns higher on their priorities list. The problem with that is these kinds of moves require trust between leaders that is only gained through ongoing relationships from which you can build the assumption of good faith and clarity of intent. That would have required that he act like an adult for the past 3.5 years and build relationships with the governors of the biggest states in the union. Interestingly enough, he had a chance to do that in California... during a disaster, no less. But instead of using those horrible fires as opportunities to build relationships with state leadership and the emergency apparatus here, he talked about how there is no drought and how California should mow the grass more in federal forests. 

I want our leaders to put human interaction, commerce and free movement of people higher on the priorities list than the public health apparatus seems to want it to put them. I'm with you there. But dude is actually making it harder to do that in any cohesive way by making statements like these. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

2 minutes ago, mysfit said:

He's the +++++ing president of the United states 

Of course people pay attention to what he says. It goes with the job 

yes they do.....55+% of America laughs at what trump says................37% buy every lie he spits out ................what's left probably just ignore him entirely 

11 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

yes they do.....55+% of America laughs at what trump says................37% buy every lie he spits out ................what's left probably just ignore him entirely 

It's the narcissism that his election is even on people's minds right now 

He should be keeping his eye on the +++++ing ball right now

PANDEMIC

One of the Final Five..........

19 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Trouble is, probably 25% of that 55% won't bother to vote in November whereas close to 100% of that 37% will.

That's among the reasons I just couldn't be a Democrat anymore. Way too many of them don't want to do anything more than bitch and moan.

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

As compelling an idea as it is that the xenophobia and incompetence totally makes the divisiveness of his rhetoric worth it. We hate his policies, too. So we're all good. 

34 minutes ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

Trouble is, probably 25% of that 55% won't bother to vote in November whereas close to 100% of that 37% will.

That's among the reasons I just couldn't be a Democrat anymore. Way too many of them don't want to do anything more than bitch and moan.

Can't disagree..........Cult 45 will turn out in the 95 to 99% range.

Then there's the "Berner" / progressive crowd who'd just let trump have a 2nd term and sit and watch as the GOP & trump stack the courts for the next 25-30 years imploding their "progressive apancea" 

Trump will lose the overall popular vote as he did in 2016.........but all he needs is some key states and he wins the EV 

So between the Electoral College and the US Senate the USA is basically under minority rule often times 

1 hour ago, mysfit said:

He's the +++++ing president of the United states 

Of course people pay attention to what he says. It goes with the job 

Yet all it does is stress you out. Are you masochistic? You can get the same info over the web in a much more concise and coherent form. 

2 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

I went to this tactic probably 2 years into his term.  It was amusing at first watching him make the Left apoplectic, but the schtick gets old.  What he actually does is far more important to me.  For what is currently happening, it would be better if he sent Pence out.  When that happened over the weekend, the press conference completely changed.  Pence answered like a normal person and the press stopped asking all of the stupid gotcha questions they typically try to bait Trump with.

43 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Can't disagree..........Cult 45 will turn out in the 95 to 99% range.

Then there's the "Berner" / progressive crowd who'd just let trump have a 2nd term and sit and watch as the GOP & trump stack the courts for the next 25-30 years imploding their "progressive apancea" 

Trump will lose the overall popular vote as he did in 2016.........but all he needs is some key states and he wins the EV 

So between the Electoral College and the US Senate the USA is basically under minority rule often times 

As I said once before, I actually think this. There are some Bernie Bros who although they may know that Sanders only has about a 50/50 chance of still being alive four years from now are quietly hoping that Biden will lose to Trump and then the country will be so effed up by 2024 that if Bernie can't run yet again, because AOC will turn 35 a month from the 2024 election that she could actually get elected. As terrible and unthinkable as that might be, in my view it wouldn't any more terrible or unthinkable than Trump's election. :USFlag:

Boom goes the dynamite.