Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

toonkee

Coronavirus Politics

37 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Because Democrats have actually done some research instead of listening to Fox News and know it will actually reduce the incidence of cheating.   Cheating like we saw in North Carolina and Georgia.   

Let’s be honest, the Republicans are against it because they want to keep cheating and mail in ballots makes it harder.   

A1B73F17-8E3E-4234-AE3D-C221A8642065.jpeg

v0icAvfW.jpg

12 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

The push for mail in ballots has happened in red and blue states, so I’m not sure why 100% of the people bitching about it are Republicans. 

Because generally, voting has an undesirable effect on Republicans.

13 hours ago, sactowndog said:

So glad our President is using the power of his office to add fire to unfounded conspiracy theories.  If he should win I can’t wait to see how much lower we can sink as a country...

8D5A8DFA-E7CF-423C-9647-AAE34ED318AA.png

Have you given any thought to this?

Assuming Trump doesn't get reelected, he will still have 10 weeks left in office. Just how much mischief do you think The Stable Genius will get into during that time? At a minimum he can be expected to pardon 100 or more slimy white collar criminals whose activities were similar to shit he's gotten away with over the years. Prolly also decide to use his authority to sign all kinds of executive orders like he once bitched about Obama doing. I'm thinking things like allocating buzillions of dollars to his Space Farce wet dream. And he'll have the ear of congressional nut jobs like Matt Gaetz, Devin Nunes and Jim Jordan. God knows what assinine ideas they'll push for him to enact.

21 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Assuming Trump doesn't get reelected, he will still have 10 weeks left in office. Just how much mischief do you think The Stable Genius will get into during that time? At a minimum he can be expected to pardon 100 or more slimy white collar criminals whose activities were similar to shit he's gotten away with over the years. Prolly also decide to use his authority to sign all kinds of executive orders like he once bitched about Obama doing. I'm thinking things like allocating buzillions of dollars to his Space Farce wet dream. And he'll have the ear of congressional nut jobs like Matt Gaetz, Devin Nunes and Jim Jordan. God knows what assinine ideas they'll push for him to enact.

No if he loses the Senate will finally stand up to him.  Many don’t like him.  They are just afraid of him.  If he wins however... god help us. 

Just now, sactowndog said:

No if he loses the Senate will finally stand up to him.  Many don’t like him.  They are just afraid of him.  If he wins however... god help us. 

You have a lot more faith in Moscow Mitch than I do. Plus, at least as to the power to pardon, the Senate has zero ability to control that. Obama, Dubya, Clinton, et al, it's commonplace for presidents to pardon people who should never have been let off the hook. But the vast majority of their actions were done during their last couple weeks in office whereas Trump has already pardoned a bunch of lowlifes and none of those presidents were the type of nutjobs Donald Trump is. For example, Dubya "commuted" Scooter Libby's sentence but didn't grant him a full pardon. Had Mr. Grumpy then been president he would have let Libby off scot free and turned Mar-a-Lago into the Playboy Mansion to hold a celebration for him.

33 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

There’s an entire thread filled with predictions of him refusing to step down or calling upon his followers to start a civil war.  Trust me when I say it will get bumped if Trump loses....   do you have any additional predictions to add?  

v0icAvfW.jpg

1 hour ago, NorCalCoug said:

There’s an entire thread filled with predictions of him refusing to step down or calling upon his followers to start a civil war.  Trust me when I say it will get bumped if Trump loses....   do you have any additional predictions to add?  

Here's mine. 

He'll leave, but he'll threaten not to and will constantly attempt to sow doubt about the results.

I feel confident in that because he did all that when he won.

My wild card prediction is that he will use "not leaving" as a bargaining chip for something.

2 hours ago, NorCalCoug said:

You won't find me joining those who say Trump might affirmatively encourage violence. However, since Charlottesville is proof that he won't outright condemn public demonstrations by bigots who support him unless forced to do so, I can easily see him standing by and allowing violence to occur without doing anything until public pressure demands it. I can also envision him tacitly fomenting demonstrations by claiming election misconduct regardless of the infinitesimal nature of the proof. By that I mean something like claiming he failed to win Michigan because two polling place allegedly opened 20 minutes late while ignoring the fact he lost the state by 50,000 votes so even if his claim was proved to be true, it couldn't have possibly altered the outcome.

Feel free to contend there's no way Donald Trump would ever so conduct himself.

25 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Here's mine. 

He'll leave, but he'll threaten not to and will constantly attempt to sow doubt about the results.

I feel confident in that because he did all that when he won.

My wild card prediction is that he will use "not leaving" as a bargaining chip for something.

Unless Moscow Mitch is even slimey than I think he is, there's no way Trump will be successul with such a bargaining chip charade. Doesn't mean I would put it past Trump at all, however. Mr. Grumpy has several coals still in the fire with regard to possible criminal activity and if they're still hanging around by the end of the year, I have little doubt he'll throw out bullshit trying to scare weak elected officials into worrying about a constitutional crisis.

How would I feel if that happened? To quote GW Bush, bring it on! I still subscribe to the Civil War analogy that our country then needed a horrific event to force the two major parties to get their lunatic fringes to STFU. So if Trump continues to have some support within the Republican Party after losing the election and the actual adults in that party refuse to take the bull by the horns and clean things up, we might need that nuclear option.

If Trump loses, I think he bitches and moans about "rigged" system, but does ultimately leave. I also think he pursues ways to monetize his cult following, launching media platforms catering to has followers with nativist agendas and conspiracy theories.

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

Regarding pardons, both parties have had some real stinkers after the election, and before inauguration. They should pass a law not allowing pardons to occur within 80 days of inauguration. The voters deserve transparency in pardons prior to election day.

110926run_defense710.jpg

7 hours ago, 818SUDSFan said:

You have a lot more faith in Moscow Mitch than I do. Plus, at least as to the power to pardon, the Senate has zero ability to control that. Obama, Dubya, Clinton, et al, it's commonplace for presidents to pardon people who should never have been let off the hook. But the vast majority of their actions were done during their last couple weeks in office whereas Trump has already pardoned a bunch of lowlifes and none of those presidents were the type of nutjobs Donald Trump is. For example, Dubya "commuted" Scooter Libby's sentence but didn't grant him a full pardon. Had Mr. Grumpy then been president he would have let Libby off scot free and turned Mar-a-Lago into the Playboy Mansion to hold a celebration for him.

Mitch would spend that ten weeks trying to get as many judges confirmed as he possibly can. 

22 minutes ago, Bob said:

lmfao at all those who think Trump would not cede office. TDS

C'Mon man, the guy who loved telling people ' You're FIRED' will take his FIRING like a man ? 

Don't see it happening.  But, hope you're right.

6 hours ago, 818SUDSFan said:

You won't find me joining those who say Trump might affirmatively encourage violence. However, since Charlottesville is proof that he won't outright condemn public demonstrations by bigots who support him unless forced to do so, I can easily see him standing by and allowing violence to occur without doing anything until public pressure demands it. I can also envision him tacitly fomenting demonstrations by claiming election misconduct regardless of the infinitesimal nature of the proof. By that I mean something like claiming he failed to win Michigan because two polling place allegedly opened 20 minutes late while ignoring the fact he lost the state by 50,000 votes so even if his claim was proved to be true, it couldn't have possibly altered the outcome.

Feel free to contend there's no way Donald Trump would ever so conduct himself.

Well to prove your point, Trump is already laying the groundwork with his typical unsubstantiated claims against mail in voting.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill.com/homenews/administration/499269-trump-escalates-fight-against-mail-in-voting%3Famp

15 hours ago, Mano said:

If Trump loses, I think he bitches and moans about "rigged" system, but does ultimately leave. I also think he pursues ways to monetize his cult following, launching media platforms catering to has followers with nativist agendas and conspiracy theories.

Read up about his campaign app... it's effectively Trump Cable News. 

14 hours ago, Bob said:

lmfao at all those who think Trump would not cede office. TDS

Other than maybe the Oregon State guy who mugtang banned after a few months last year, I'm not aware of anybody on this board who has predicted that.

20 hours ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Unless Moscow Mitch is even slimey than I think he is, there's no way Trump will be successul with such a bargaining chip charade. Doesn't mean I would put it past Trump at all, however. Mr. Grumpy has several coals still in the fire with regard to possible criminal activity and if they're still hanging around by the end of the year, I have little doubt he'll throw out bullshit trying to scare weak elected officials into worrying about a constitutional crisis.

How would I feel if that happened? To quote GW Bush, bring it on! I still subscribe to the Civil War analogy that our country then needed a horrific event to force the two major parties to get their lunatic fringes to STFU. So if Trump continues to have some support within the Republican Party after losing the election and the actual adults in that party refuse to take the bull by the horns and clean things up, we might need that nuclear option.

You have been inflicted with a late stage case of TDS. He is consuming your life. I’d say see a psychiatrist, but it’s too late for that.