Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

toonkee

Coronavirus Politics

1 hour ago, youngrebelfan40 said:

Appealing to "moderate Republicans" is a lost cause for Democrats. They are so married to the Trump cult literally nothing he says or does could ever get them to switch sides and vote for a moderate Dem. 

If Trump wins again look for the Dems to say +++++ it and nominate a literal Communist in 2024, who may even win. 

I thought this was going to happen this year. If Biden loses, what’s left of the a Democratic party will make Bernie look like a moderate.

1 hour ago, youngrebelfan40 said:

Appealing to "moderate Republicans" is a lost cause for Democrats. They are so married to the Trump cult literally nothing he says or does could ever get them to switch sides and vote for a moderate Dem. 

If Trump wins again look for the Dems to say +++++ it and nominate a literal Communist in 2024, who may even win. 

That's not true at all. Both my wife and myself voted for Trump over Hillary, but are looking at Biden if a 3rd party candidate does not come along. Better a dotard than a retard.

2 minutes ago, Los_Aztecas said:

That's not true at all. Both my wife and myself voted for Trump over Hillary, but are looking at Biden if a 3rd party candidate does not come along. Better a dotard than a retard.

Might have just found my new campaign slogan

6 hours ago, youngrebelfan40 said:

Wrong. I would have issues with him if:

1) He raised taxes significantly

2) He facilitated illegal immigration and benefits to illegals. 

3) He significantly increased regulations across the board

4) He supported Universal health care

5) He supported a big carbon tax on everyone 

6) He supported dropping student debt and providing a free college education to everyone

7) He strangled business with higher taxes and regulation

8) He advocated for strict gun control making it more difficult to buy a fire arm.

9) He had the FBI and CIA in his back pocket

10) He advocated for unlimited abortion to the extent a baby that survived abortion would be allowed to die. 

11) He advocated for big government.

At that point I would not consider supporting him, and would vote libertarian. 

According to Axios about the daily coronavirus briefings:

A number of Trump's most trusted advisers — both inside and outside the White House — have urged him to stop doing marathon televised briefings.

• They've told him he's overexposed and these appearances are part of the reason polls aren't looking good for him right now against Joe Biden.
  • "I told him it's not helping him," said one adviser to the president. "Seniors are scared. And the spectacle of him fighting with the press isn't what people want to see."

But Trump has defended the practice, telling critics that the briefings get good ratings.

<snip>

Another source close to the deliberations said there simply isn't enough new material to justify Trump appearing before the press every day. "I mean, you wonder how we got to the point where you're talking about injecting disinfectant?" the source wondered aloud.

• These conversations were underway before Trump suggested that researchers investigate whether doctors could cure coronavirus by injecting people with disinfectant. But a source said it finally seems to have dawned on Trump, after this incident, that these briefings aren't helping him. The CDC and other public health officials responded obliquely to the comment by telling people not to drink bleach.

https://www.axios.com/trump-daily-coronavirus-briefings-809becf3-9913-4b71-9f92-1930ad1d29b0.html

5 hours ago, Los_Aztecas said:

I didn't vote for either last time.

I still dislike Trump.  But I'll probably vote for him this time because I don't want to see another round of state bailouts like '08.  And you can see that's exactly what will happen if the democrats win the executive and the Senate.  That was the holdup for the second round of SBA funding. 

Also, at least Trump seems to show some concern for the fact that the economy is losing a million jobs a day and needs to open up as soon as possible.

But Trump is terrible, and a second term won't be better.  His conduct at press briefings is ridiculous.  

7 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

I still dislike Trump.  But I'll probably vote for him this time because I don't want to see another round of state bailouts like '08.  And you can see that's exactly what will happen if the democrats win the executive and the Senate.  That was the holdup for the second round of SBA funding. 

Also, at least Trump seems to show some concern for the fact that the economy is losing a million jobs a day and needs to open up as soon as possible.

But Trump is terrible, and a second term won't be better.  His conduct at press briefings is ridiculous.  

I would like to see your realistic scenario where the Dems take the Senate....  

4 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Wrong. I would have issues with him if:

1) He raised taxes significantly

2) He facilitated illegal immigration and benefits to illegals. 

3) He significantly increased regulations across the board

4) He supported Universal health care

5) He supported a big carbon tax on everyone 

6) He supported dropping student debt and providing a free college education to everyone

7) He strangled business with higher taxes and regulation

8) He advocated for strict gun control making it more difficult to buy a fire arm.

9) He had the FBI and CIA in his back pocket

10) He advocated for unlimited abortion to the extent a baby that survived abortion would be allowed to die. 

11) He advocated for big government.

At that point I would not consider supporting him, and would vote libertarian. 

He has repeatedly done this with immigration crackdowns, bailouts, corporate subsidies, and infrastructure proposals. Looks like you're voting Libertarian!

Also if persecuting powerless undocumented people and making them suffer is second on your list of policy priorities, you're probably not a moderate.

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

16 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

Democrats won't win the Senate. 

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

5 hours ago, Los_Aztecas said:

I hate to say it, but you're an exception.

Most "moderate Republicans" have already made their peace with Trump, and many have even come to like him. Stockholm Syndrome.

22 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

Here are the numbers.   The Dems aren’t winning the Senate and you are too smart not to know it...

https://www.politico.com/2020-election/race-forecasts-and-predictions/senate/

I call BS here....   

Let’s even assume the unlikely occurs and the Dems are lucky enough to beat Thillis in North Carolina, Collins in Maine, Gardner in Colorado and McSally in Arizona and win the Presidency.   

They still have Manchin who is an old time Blue dog Democratic that won’t vote for any of the progressive house agenda you say you fear.   Most of this “I hate Trump, but I will still vote for him” is just code for teams and shit.   

39 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

Not only is he the only one who cares about jobs apparently, he’s also got some home remedies for you to try so we can all get back to work.