Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

toonkee

Coronavirus Politics

Just now, pokerider said:

so your comparing people complaining about social distancing and congregating to racism and nazism huh.  You should apply for a job at the Washington Post.  

not even remotely close but nice try I guess

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

12 hours ago, FresnoFacts said:

Maybe he is just getting old and forgetful. I've been concerned about the age of both major candidates. :oldman:

President Trump in the past - "I have one of the great memories of all time."

But today "I haven’t left the White House in months except for a brief moment to give a ship the Comfort..."

Maybe if Trump had said "weeks", but "months" is stretching it.

Campaign Rallies - 3/2/2020 Charlotte NC; 2/28/2020 North Charleston SC; 2/21/2020 Las Vegas NV; 2/20/2020 Colorado Springs CO; 2/19/2020 Phoenix AZ; 2/10/2020 Manchester NH

Golf Outings - 3/08/2020 Trump Intl, West Palm Beach, FL; 3/07/2020 Trump Intl, West Palm Beach, FL; 2/15/2020 Trump Intl, West Palm Beach, FL

Other travel in Feb and March: 3/6//2020 Nashville TN & Atlanta GA; 3/5/2020 Scranton PA; 3/3/2020 Behesda MD; 2/29/2020 National Harbor MD; 2/24-25/2020 New Delhi India; 2/19/2020 Bakersfield & Rancho Mirage CA; 2/18/2020 Beverly Hills CA; 2/16/2020 Dayton Beach FL; and more in February

It's been a slow progression but the guy is losing it and unlike Biden, he has no stuttering problem to use as an excuse.

Will be a potential clusterphuck if Trump gets reelected. Unlike Reagan, he won't quietly acknowledge his mental deficiencies but do the opposite ("I'm a stable genius") and let others make decisions which he'll simply announce. Instead Mr. Grumpy will do even more stupid ass things than during his first term in office.

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 hour ago, toonkee said:

@thelawlorfaithful

You know what they say, great minds think alike.

:rotflmfao: 

I Love You Cat GIF by swerk

Bob is right.

Also, I could win the troll derby if I wanted to, I just choose not to.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

2 hours ago, pokerider said:

So FB should be the ones to decide this then ,  thats your point right?  Lets leave it up to FB to allow or disallow posts.   Apparently you just do what they tell you then, hope that works out for you. 

Considering its their platform, yes. It is up to Facebook.

Personally though? Haven't used Facebook, other than having an account, in about 2 years. Simply don't care for it.

Pretty much what I expect from Trump.  All the mother+++++er cares about is himself....

The drama involving Dr. Rick Bright, who led the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority, appeared to be the latest occasion when a senior official who contradicted Trump's pet causes paid with his job.

In staggeringly frank comments issued through his attorneys, Bright suggested that the leadership of the Health and Human Services Department was not committed to following science and wanted to fund drugs promoted by Trump's political allies. He also claimed the administration tried to broaden the use of hydroxychloroquine in an unsafe manner and may even have endangered lives by pushing the drug, which is typically used to treat lupus and other conditions.

"Sidelining me in the middle of this pandemic and placing politics and cronyism ahead of science puts lives at risk and stunts national efforts to safely and effectively address this urgent public health crisis," Bright wrote."Rushing blindly towards unproven drugs can be disastrous and result in countless more deaths. Science, in service to the health and safety of the American people, must always trump politics."

I really don't want a bunch of people on the other side "liking" my post here, cause it makes me feel like a self aggrandizing tool.

Trump is a terrible governor, and I'm intentionally using the lower case g.  Take Michigan for instance.  The Governor is clearly out of line.  I can't believe if Trump didn't go to Schumer and democrat governors offline, and say, "hey, this lady is off the hook, you need to reign her in on her lockdown policies" that they wouldn't put in a call or two.  I think they would do it because it would be in their own self interest to do so.

Instead, he repeats daily on his press briefings that he is going to defer to the governors, then he goes and tweets "LIBERATE MICHIGAN!".  Even though I agree with Trump on the specific issue, this is terrible governance.  It's uniquely Trumpian, and I hate it.  He knocks the beehive off the tree and creates a circus every time.

It's always personal with him.  They got in a spat over the malaria drug thing, where they were both out of line.  And because he was insulted, he wants to get even.  It shouldn't be about Trump personally, it should be about Trump's constituents in Michigan.  Whom would be better off if Whitmer adjusted her policy.  The way Trump is going about it, isn't stupid, it's selfish.  Incredibly selfish, which is worse than stupid.

1 hour ago, sactowndog said:

Pretty much what I expect from Trump.  All the mother+++++er cares about is himself....

The drama involving Dr. Rick Bright, who led the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority, appeared to be the latest occasion when a senior official who contradicted Trump's pet causes paid with his job.

In staggeringly frank comments issued through his attorneys, Bright suggested that the leadership of the Health and Human Services Department was not committed to following science and wanted to fund drugs promoted by Trump's political allies. He also claimed the administration tried to broaden the use of hydroxychloroquine in an unsafe manner and may even have endangered lives by pushing the drug, which is typically used to treat lupus and other conditions.

"Sidelining me in the middle of this pandemic and placing politics and cronyism ahead of science puts lives at risk and stunts national efforts to safely and effectively address this urgent public health crisis," Bright wrote."Rushing blindly towards unproven drugs can be disastrous and result in countless more deaths. Science, in service to the health and safety of the American people, must always trump politics."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/22/hydroxychloroquine-coronavirus-scientific-studies-research

That's a little more fair analysis from the far right wing Guardian.

4 hours ago, CPslograd said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/22/hydroxychloroquine-coronavirus-scientific-studies-research

A good overview of where we are so far. This pretty such says it:

"A panel of experts put together by the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, the agency led by Dr Anthony Fauci, released treatment guidelines for Covid-19 on 21 April. The panel said that there was insufficient data to “recommend either for or against” hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine. However, the panel recommended against the use of hydroxychloroquine with azithromycin due to the risk of cardiac arrhythmia."

We are still at a point where we can't recommend it yet. The president, luckily, seems to have backed down from it so hopefully the heavy trump supporters like that sdsu fan on here can also hold for a bit before we throw it at every positive case. We need to let the doctors, pharmacists, and other scientists have the time to keep researching it and other potential therapies.

7 hours ago, CPslograd said:

The point isn’t whether hydroxychloroquine is proven or not.  The point is Trump over riding his scientists or others and firing them when they dare to disagree because the science doesn’t support him.  

He repeatedly makes stupid off the cuff statements about things not supported by science and like a petty dictator forces those beneath him to agree.   The hurricane threatening Alabama comes to mind.  Now this drug as a wonder drug when it’s not proven and research is leaning towards a negative risk reward.  It’s horrible leadership and the kind of behavior exhibited by dictators around the globe. 

2 hours ago, Stealthlobo said:

A good overview of where we are so far. This pretty such says it:

"A panel of experts put together by the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, the agency led by Dr Anthony Fauci, released treatment guidelines for Covid-19 on 21 April. The panel said that there was insufficient data to “recommend either for or against” hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine. However, the panel recommended against the use of hydroxychloroquine with azithromycin due to the risk of cardiac arrhythmia."

We are still at a point where we can't recommend it yet. The president, luckily, seems to have backed down from it so hopefully the heavy trump supporters like that sdsu fan on here can also hold for a bit before we throw it at every positive case. We need to let the doctors, pharmacists, and other scientists have the time to keep researching it and other potential therapies.

Just wait until Trump fires Fauci next. 

9 hours ago, sactowndog said:

8 hours ago, CPslograd said:

I really don't want a bunch of people on the other side "liking" my post here, cause it makes me feel like a self aggrandizing tool.

Trump is a terrible governor, and I'm intentionally using the lower case g.  Take Michigan for instance.  The Governor is clearly out of line.  I can't believe if Trump didn't go to Schumer and democrat governors offline, and say, "hey, this lady is off the hook, you need to reign her in on her lockdown policies" that they wouldn't put in a call or two.  I think they would do it because it would be in their own self interest to do so.

Instead, he repeats daily on his press briefings that he is going to defer to the governors, then he goes and tweets "LIBERATE MICHIGAN!".  Even though I agree with Trump on the specific issue, this is terrible governance.  It's uniquely Trumpian, and I hate it.  He knocks the beehive off the tree and creates a circus every time.

It's always personal with him.  They got in a spat over the malaria drug thing, where they were both out of line.  And because he was insulted, he wants to get even.  It shouldn't be about Trump personally, it should be about Trump's constituents in Michigan.  Whom would be better off if Whitmer adjusted her policy.  The way Trump is going about it, isn't stupid, it's selfish.  Incredibly selfish, which is worse than stupid.

I posted my response before reading this post.   See the bolded parts.   We pretty much agree though we used different data points to arrive at the same conclusion.   Pathological selfishness is a very dangerous attribute in a leader whether it is manifested in my way or yours.

Interesting article comparing two very different approaches to the labor crisis east and west of the Atlantic:

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/04/04/kurzarbeit-coronavirus-pandemic-america-unemployment-apocalypse-europe-not/

America Is Having an Unemployment Apocalypse. Europe Chose Not to.

A trans-Atlantic chasm has opened up on pandemic labor policy. We’ll soon know which side got it right.

tl;dr: Many European countries are using Kurzarbeit, a form of temporary government wage subsidies, to prevent mass layoffs. If the recovery is swift, that's probably the better approach - providing stability for workers and allowing companies to be better positioned to ramp up again. If the economic recovery is slow, costs could become too high.

5 hours ago, I am Ram said:

Interesting article comparing two very different approaches to the labor crisis east and west of the Atlantic:

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/04/04/kurzarbeit-coronavirus-pandemic-america-unemployment-apocalypse-europe-not/

tl;dr: Many European countries are using Kurzarbeit, a form of temporary government wage subsidies, to prevent mass layoffs. If the recovery is swift, that's probably the better approach - providing stability for workers and allowing companies to be better positioned to ramp up again. If the economic recovery is slow, costs could become too high.

you know what they say...Kurzarbeit macht frei.