Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

toonkee

Coronavirus Politics

33 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

It could, but I don't think it will.  China knows they're on the international hot seat right now.  I'd guess they are looking for ways to save face and get out of their international pickle rather than exacerbate anything.  We can push them pretty hard right now if it stays out of the papers (trade, etc.).  I don't see any country other than third world crazies wanting to get into an altercation in the middle of dealing with a pandemic at home.

I can see China creating an incident right now to distract from Covid in a heartbeat.

19 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

This is literally an argument for why isolating China through bilateral trade and removing production makes WW3 more likely.

I think we have to move production out of China.  I'm fine with what Abe is doing for instance.

15 minutes ago, FresnoFacts said:

Maybe he is just getting old and forgetful. I've been concerned about the age of both major candidates. :oldman:

President Trump in the past - "I have one of the great memories of all time."

But today "I haven’t left the White House in months except for a brief moment to give a ship the Comfort..."

Maybe if Trump had said "weeks", but "months" is stretching it.

Campaign Rallies - 3/2/2020 Charlotte NC; 2/28/2020 North Charleston SC; 2/21/2020 Las Vegas NV; 2/20/2020 Colorado Springs CO; 2/19/2020 Phoenix AZ; 2/10/2020 Manchester NH

Golf Outings - 3/08/2020 Trump Intl, West Palm Beach, FL; 3/07/2020 Trump Intl, West Palm Beach, FL; 2/15/2020 Trump Intl, West Palm Beach, FL

Other travel in Feb and March: 3/6//2020 Nashville TN & Atlanta GA; 3/5/2020 Scranton PA; 3/3/2020 Behesda MD; 2/29/2020 National Harbor MD; 2/24-25/2020 New Delhi India; 2/19/2020 Bakersfield & Rancho Mirage CA; 2/18/2020 Beverly Hills CA; 2/16/2020 Dayton Beach FL; and more in February

Did he forget or lie/exaggerate?

I'll help you, it's the second one. He does it all day every day. 

Just now, toonkee said:

It's the best, the greatest.  Just ask anyone, we are doing it better than anyone has ever done it.  All these wonderful people will tell you, and they are really wonderful people, the brightest, better than anyone else in the world.  And they say I'm doing the best job, the greatest job that's ever been done. 

46 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

I think we have to move production out of China.  I'm fine with what Abe is doing for instance.

I hate China, but severing economic codepenedence does and will make a largescale war more likely. The idea of China caring about an international hot seat or being brought to heel through any sort of trade requires economic interconnectedness. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

34 minutes ago, toonkee said:

I know he lies but some of his fans don't believe he does. Maybe saying he is old :oldman: might, might get through to some of them.

52 minutes ago, happycamper said:

I mean... unless they become an effective monopoly and they're an impediment to a free market, right?

That's actually a good point.  When will the Facebook monopoly end?  And it will, without any intervention from my sister at the DOJ and the anti trust department.  At some point it will fragment just like every other form of media.  I wonder when, why, and how?

Personally I avoid politics on Facebook,  and only rarely break my own rule there.  I did a little bit recently when my wife got in a row with our school districts anemic offerings for remote learning.

18 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

I hate China, but severing economic codepenedence does and will make a largescale war more likely. The idea of China caring about an international hot seat or being brought to heel through any sort of trade requires economic interconnectedness. 

I understand that POV.  I held it for years.  I don't anymore because I see no reason to think what we have done has worked.

6 hours ago, happycamper said:

I mean... unless they become an effective monopoly and they're an impediment to a free market, right?

I mean, one can use still use Twitter or LinkedIn as social channels too, right? Facebook is not an essential good or service like a utility and there are still alternative platforms people can use.

But back to the point that was being made by Bob ... do I agree with Facebook removing the protest content? No. Do they have the right to monitor and regulate what is displayed on their network? Yes. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

1 hour ago, BSUTOP25 said:

I mean, one can use still use Twitter or LinkedIn as social channels too, right? Facebook is not an essential good or service like a utility and there are still alternative platforms people can use.

But back to the point that was being made by Bob ... do I agree with Facebook removing the protest content? No. Do they have the right to monitor and regulate what is displayed on their network? Yes. 

Like you use facebook? No. That would be kinda like saying "well sure only Ford can sell pickups but you can feel free to buy a chevy nova"

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

14 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Like you use facebook? No. That would be kinda like saying "well sure only Ford can sell pickups but you can feel free to buy a chevy nova"

Fair enough as I pretty much stopped using Facebook after the Wyoming fanbase formed a posse to hunt me down. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

9 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

https://www.foxnews.com/world/china-germanys-bild-in-war-of-words-after-newspaper-scorched-xi-over-coronavirus

Germany is the superpower of factory tooling and China is obviously their biggest customer for that.  So they've always looked the other way just like we have.  

I think the Chinese heavy handed propaganda response has backfired.

Kudlow has already talked about doing what Abe is doing.  I get your concerns, I have them too, but I think the train has already left the station.

9 hours ago, CPslograd said:

I understand that POV.  I held it for years.  I don't anymore because I see no reason to think what we have done has worked.

It's not really a POV, it's a fact. Two things have prevented a world war between nuclear powers... world trade and mutually assured destruction. So it has worked in terms of preventing a hot war between world powers and in terms of lifting people put of poverty. 

I'm not even saying i like or agree with those policies. I'm saying that all the people saying that it is a truism that globalism failed or whatever are being myopic. The last decade has seen a rise in nationalism, a rise in strongman leaders. The next decade will see a rise in economic isolation and a decrease in trade. Those leade in a very specific direction. It's the thing I'm actually worried about most in all this. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

9 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

https://www.foxnews.com/world/china-germanys-bild-in-war-of-words-after-newspaper-scorched-xi-over-coronavirus

Germany is the superpower of factory tooling and China is obviously their biggest customer for that.  So they've always looked the other way just like we have.  

I think the Chinese heavy handed propaganda response has backfired.

Kudlow has already talked about doing what Abe is doing.  I get your concerns, I have them too, but I think the train has already left the station.

I have been saying for years we need to figure out a way to force China to do the right thing on the world stage and that companies have become apologists for them. Because of the money involved. I just dont trust trumps approach that he alone will be able to negotiate a bilateral deal that achieves anything, and I dont trust that stoking nationalism and anti-other sentiment will achieve this either. So we have a complex problem and all signs point to an attempt to solve it with an ineffective solution that is simple and populist. Not good.

22 minutes ago, Bob said:

EUu9A97XYAUcGd8?format=jpg&name=medium

Bob. This isn't communism. Communism is bad in a different way. Right now you're the "everything I don't like is a nazi" meme

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

15 hours ago, son of a gun said:

The Orange Menace would rather pat himself on the back then answer simple questions.

As for Facebook protest; if idiots want to congregate, infect each other, infect their loved ones, and then people simply in proximity, they should find their own platform to talk on. Facebook complied with a common sense request.

So FB should be the ones to decide this then ,  thats your point right?  Lets leave it up to FB to allow or disallow posts.   Apparently you just do what they tell you then, hope that works out for you. 

Just now, tspoke said:

5kqfmmht01u41.jpg

eek. And I've been listening to behind the bastards so I've been well informed on the whole "jewishness and bolshevism IS THE SAME" thing. yikes. 

2 minutes ago, happycamper said:

eek. And I've been listening to behind the bastards so I've been well informed on the whole "jewishness and bolshevism IS THE SAME" thing. yikes. 

so your comparing people complaining about social distancing and congregating to racism and nazism huh.  You should apply for a job at the Washington Post.