Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

toonkee

Coronavirus Politics

35 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Not usually 

Then people in food and hospitality are making much less on unemployment than when they work.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

19 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

Does that depend on if they were declared as income, or not reported?

That’s my understanding 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

11 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Then people in food and hospitality are not making more money on unemployment than when they were working.

servers may not be depending on the gig but I guarantee bus boys and hostesses are.  But let’s say they’re getting $200 + the additional $600 federal amount on unemployment, most servers aren’t making $800 a week in wages and tips.  That’s 40k a year.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

27 minutes ago, mugtang said:

servers may not be depending on the gig but I guarantee bus boys and hostesses are.  But let’s say they’re getting $200 + the additional $600 federal amount on unemployment, most servers aren’t making $800 a week in wages and tips.  That’s 40k a year.  

How many bus boys and hostesses are heads of household? People who work full time in restaurants, especially in expensive urban areas, rely very heavily on tips. And many of them also supplement their incomes on gig economy jobs. Rideshare are toast right now. I dunno about food delivery.

I'm just saying people in blue areas are getting hammered too. And that's not even taking in to account that is going to absolutely hammer whole industries and sectors that are just hunkering down right now.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

2 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

How many bus boys and hostesses are heads of household? People who work full time in restaurants, especially in expensive urban areas, rely very heavily on tips. And many of them also supplement their incomes on gig economy jobs. Rideshare are toast right now. I dunno about food delivery.

I'm just saying people in blue areas are getting hammered too. And that's not even taking in to account that is going to absolutely hammer whole industries and sectors that are just hunkering down right now.

I must’ve missed something.  What’s this about blue (and I’m assuming red areas)? I recognize that the entire hospitality industry has been destroyed by this shit.  

15 minutes ago, mugtang said:

I must’ve missed something.  What’s this about blue (and I’m assuming red areas)? I recognize that the entire hospitality industry has been destroyed by this shit.  

Sorry... I'm responding to the idea that trump supporters are being hit harder economically by this than others. An assertion you didn't make, but one I seem to be demanding  you defend.

Too many conversations going on  at once. 

2 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Sorry... I'm responding to the idea that trump supporters are being hit harder economically by this. An assertion you didn't make, but one I seem to be demanding  you defend.

Too many conversations going on  at once. 

It’s alright, I get it.

I don’t think it’s fair to say that Trump supporters are being hit harder.  That’s a ridiculous assertion and anybody that believes that is an idiot. 

17 minutes ago, mugtang said:

It’s alright, I get it.

I don’t think it’s fair to say that Trump supporters are being hit harder.  That’s a ridiculous assertion and anybody that believes that is an idiot. 

I do think there will be different impacts at different times for different communities and populations. That's how it was post 2008. 

22 minutes ago, mugtang said:

It’s alright, I get it.

I agree. It's more hitting swaths of classes than anything. Anybody outside the professional or leisure classes at this point is getting whalloped. Merchants included (for the most part with some exception of course) 

4 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

I agree. It's more hitting swaths of classes than anything. Anybody outside the professional or leisure classes at this point is getting whalloped. Merchants included (for the most part with some exception of course) 

Kinda happy to be in the professional class tbh.  Not to brag. 

2 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Kinda happy to be in the professional class tbh.  Not to brag. 

Same. It could be a lot worse right now. And it is a lot worse for a lot of people. The price we shall pay for being a service-based economy I suppose. I just hope things get better before they get royally crazy. Well, royally crazier than they already are anyway. 

2 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

Same. It could be a lot worse right now. And it is a lot worse for a lot of people. The price we shall pay for being a service-based economy I suppose. I just hope things get better before they get royally crazy. Well, royally crazier than they already are anyway. 

Agreed.  My job isn’t secure long term although I think I’m through September to get taxes done.  Unless my company sells my department (which is within the realm of possibility). Although I think they’d sell us to Berkshire Hathaway so it may not be the end of the world if it happened. 

Things are gonna get real bad here next year or so for people who work in government, education and the media. 

1 hour ago, THEUniversityofNevada said:

In these crazy times it’s hard to differentiate between who is right and who is wrong, but if you find yourself yelling at the very people that are risking their lives to save yours...then odds are you’re in the wrong. When history looks back on these days, Trumpers will be the embarrassment of the Republican Party.