Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

toonkee

Coronavirus Politics

3 hours ago, BYUcougfan said:

The head of WHO is from Ethiopia.  Ethiopia is a huge recipient of China's Belt and Road initiative as well as other investments.  It is not a stretch to think that there was some arm twisting by the Chinese....being the angels that they are.

Given the deepened ties between the ChiComs and Sub-Saharan Africa over the last couple decades, it'd be a lot more surprising if there wasn't some arm twisting. I saw the dictator in Rwanda was out trashing the US and pumping Chinese sunshine today. Would figure this Tedros fellow felt similarly. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

9 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Did he plant the money trees yet, or is he just going to magically pull this money out of his ass?

1 minute ago, sean327 said:

Did he plant the money trees yet, or is he just going to magically pull this money out of his ass?

Turn on the printing press!

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Can totally see trump doing this as he's desperate to see some economic improvement ..........that's his one campaign strong point .......desperation & his polling will come into play soon 

10 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Can totally see trump doing this as he's desperate to see some economic improvement ..........that's his one campaign strong point .......desperation & his polling will come into play soon 

When unemployment hits 25% will the cure be worse than the disease?  Serious question?   I’ve said from the beginning financially ruining millions of lives and destroying the economy may not be worth a months long shut down. 

9 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Trump can scream “open the country” until he’s blue in the face and the Governors can tell him to pound sand.  

What would be interesting if Trump threatened to hold back federal funding if they did not comply. 

2 minutes ago, mugtang said:

When unemployment hits 25% will the cure be worse than the disease?  Serious question?   I’ve said from the beginning financially ruining millions of lives and destroying the economy may not be worth a months long shut down. 

The economy will still end up destroyed, conventions, concerts, sports, etc, etc have all been canceled.  

A large number of furloughed employees will never return to the office and when the restaurants open back up there will be very few patrons. 

4 minutes ago, tailingpermit said:

The economy will still end up destroyed, conventions, concerts, sports, etc, etc have all been canceled.  

A large number of furloughed employees will never return to the office and when the restaurants open back up there will be very few patrons. 

So let’s put the final nail in the coffin by spending even more money we don’t have? 

8 minutes ago, mugtang said:

That is of course a very valid question but raises another question. 

If everything were open again tomorrow, would people in cities go out to restaurants and bars all of a sudden?  I wouldn't.  I don't think things will be normal until we get a vaccine, a proven successful treatment or some kind of strong herd immunity.  

17 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Good question........if things do open and try biz as usual, the chances of COVID 2.0 are possibly ripe.

If there can be a vaccine, then that changes the entire story 

Just now, sean327 said:

So let’s put the final nail in the coffin by spending even more money we don’t have? 

If I was starving and my credit cards weren't maxed out, I'm pretty sure I'd by dinner with my credit card.

I guess we could debate ramen versus steak and lobster but here we are. 

17 minutes ago, tailingpermit said:

Trump can scream “open the country” until he’s blue in the face and the Governors can tell him to pound sand.  

What would be interesting if Trump threatened to hold back federal funding if they did not comply. 

Isn't trump already playing that game with states right now...........if you praise him, he responds, if you complain, your a horrible person and ignored ........same as his handling the press in these pressers - He asks who your with & then responds with venom or glowing praise