Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

toonkee

Coronavirus Politics

8 hours ago, toonkee said:

Seems to me there is some left right separation on this board with regard to the degree of alarmism and I can't figure why. 

Thinker righty types are all serious and resigned to the end of civil liberties and rioting and sustained depression. Lefties are posting memes and are busy yelling at Trump.

I'm relatively chill about this actually. Just taking it day by day. Might even say I enjoy getting away from the routine. I just feel it will work out somehow.

Anywhoo I'd like some intelligent postulations on the right left disconnect here if you don't mind.

Animated GIF

I don't know if we are using "lefty" as just some kind of shorthand.  But...just because I vehemently oppose the last two moron GOP presidents and people like Moscow mitch doesn't say anything about my ideology... just my patriotism. 

Posted Image

Trump made it known he wanted Crozier fired so the bootlicking Esper got it done.

Given the past 3 years I'm not sure why this comes as a surprise to anyone 

One of the Final Five..........

22 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

Despite tensions and angles on some policy moves......anyone who thinks Limbaugh has any credibility or even offers anything other than the nectar of stupidity to his, obviously low IQ cult following, can't grasp that a certain % of people have been totally indoctrinated into a literal idiocracy that exists inside the right wing, which is exactly what the right wing message machine of Fox, limaugh, beck, levin & numerous other propagandists set out to do years ago........ to create a cult of low IQ unthinking droolers that hang on every lie, fabrication and smoke screen told to them and go forth and reaffirm those lies into the greater world via the recent explosion of social media outlets.

We are becoming two Americas............one where people dwell in reality, conscious thought and can discern actual facts from lies and bull crap..........and one where the indoctrinated cult of RW propaganda have so brainwashed their followers, that analysis of reality is beyond their comprehension and they have just become robotic parrots of years of being gleefully willing to be subjected to levels of idiocy that would make every past propagandist in history marvel at the accomplishment of dumbing down a large segment of one countries population to the point you question their ability to function in society :oldman:

"These are perilous times. Over the last three years, much of what the Guardian holds dear has been threatened – democracy, civility, truth. This US administration is establishing new norms of behaviour. Anger and cruelty disfigure public discourse and lying is commonplace. Truth is being chased away. "

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/apr/04/trump-coronavirus-science-analysis

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

My wife and I just watched a video about the anti-vaccine movement.

It made me wonder how many of them will literally climb over and push aside  the pro vax crowd to get their "Corona vaccines."

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

10 hours ago, mugtang said:

Reading that opinion piece it doesn’t sound like Trump was really involved in the decision making process.  The WH authorized the investigation but then Modly said Trump wants him fired.  But, based on the reading of piece I don’t think Trump was involved in the firing. 

Ok from everything I have read on this including multiple Washington Post articles, the Politico article, Trump’s statements on it, the article on the TR’s visit to Vietnam, here is my supposition on the chain of events

1) the SecNav and others wanted the anti China strategic projection of docking in Vietnam.  So they had the TR make a port call in Feb when Trump and others were minimizing the crises.

2) in March the virus starts to spread on the TR and the SecNav gets involved to keep the operation quiet.

3) the administration’s goal of keeping the operation quiet to not add fuel to the belief Trump downplayed this virus and the Captain’s goal of keeping his crewman safe starts to come into conflict and the SecNav gets uncharacteristically involved to put a lid on sailors leaving the ship in mass.

4) the Captain desperate for his crew writes a widely circulated letter which gets leaked to put pressure on SecNav and Trump.  

5) Trump gets pissed at being made to look bad and tells the SecNav to relieve the Captain of his command.

6) on Saturday Trump comes out with his support for the Military leaders (who had nothing to do with it) and blames the Captain for coming into port in Vietnam.   (Standard Trump playbook)

1 hour ago, Bob said:

Left leaning people are fiscally irresponsible while conservatives worry about that sort of thing. That's my postulation.

Bob, I asked for intelligent responses.

giphy_(1).gif

15 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Ok from everything I have read on this including multiple Washington Post articles, the Politico article, Trump’s statements on it, the article on the TR’s visit to Vietnam, here is my supposition on the chain of events

1) the SecNav and others wanted the anti China strategic projection of docking in Vietnam.  So they had the TR make a port call in Feb when Trump and others were minimizing the crises.

2) in March the virus starts to spread on the TR and the SecNav gets involved to keep the operation quiet.

3) the administration’s goal of keeping the operation quiet to not add fuel to the belief Trump downplayed this virus and the Captain’s goal of keeping his crewman safe starts to come into conflict and the SecNav gets uncharacteristically involved to put a lid on sailors leaving the ship in mass.

4) the Captain desperate for his crew writes a widely circulated letter which gets leaked to put pressure on SecNav and Trump.  

5) Trump gets pissed at being made to look bad and tells the SecNav to relieve the Captain of his command.

6) on Saturday Trump comes out with his support for the Military leaders (who had nothing to do with it) and blames the Captain for coming into port in Vietnam.   (Standard Trump playbook)

So why does this matter?

It matters because Trump further demonstrates that even in times of national crises, Trump has a pathological need to put his needs above all else.

The US desperately needs a centrally coordinated response and distribution of medical equipment and personnel.   But Trump and Krushner’s mentality raises real questions of whether they will do the right thing or the thing that benefits them.  Same goes for the slush fund that Trump used signing statements to avoid Congressional oversight.   @mysfit is correct to be very concerned.  But alternatively, I don’t know what alternatives we have.   

4 hours ago, mysfit said:

Trump made it known he wanted Crozier fired so the bootlicking Esper got it done.

Given the past 3 years I'm not sure why this comes as a surprise to anyone 

Damn. Thanks for the info. I didn’t realize you had a position so high in the Pentagon. 

I have nothing but contempt for a person who would take shots at a governor while it's the people in the state who are suffering. 

That's just unconscionable 

20 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Wait what?   Context?

+++++ing small fingered vulgarian claiming ohhh too bad that governor (Illinois) didn't do so good.

He acts like he's doing a favor for stuff Americans already paid for 

He's lobbing paper towels at us

(I borrowed that one, in the interest of transparency)

Giant +++++wad

ydroxychloroquine, an unproven treatment for coronavirus, Trump said again, “What do they have to lose?”

“We don’t have time to take a couple years to test it out,” he said.

Updated at 

Can we please sue the giant +++++wad for practising medicine without a license?

7 hours ago, sactowndog said:

Sounds like a reasonable scenario. I would add that it is likely Trump personally ordered the stupid port call in Vietnam because he believed it would assist in his negotiations with North Korea and China.  Trump has always believed the coronavirus was just like the common cold (Rush Limbaugh) or just another common flu (FoxNews) since he gets all his information from right wing media and ignores the intelligence community because the intelligence community is out to get him as is demonstrated by the fact that intelligence briefings do not center on praising Trump himself. 

Who can blame Trump?  The entire intelligence community does not provide him with information that can help him in his reelection campaign to make America great again.  

1 hour ago, mysfit said:

+++++ing small fingered vulgarian claiming ohhh too bad that governor (Illinois) didn't do so good.

He acts like he's doing a favor for stuff Americans already paid for 

He's lobbing paper towels at us

(I borrowed that one, in the interest of transparency)

Giant +++++wad

Why are you even watching the dipshit?  It’s basically the same as attending a MAGA rally.   

5 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Damn. Thanks for the info. I didn’t realize you had a position so high in the Pentagon. 

Come on. When Trump is on a multi interview PR campaign to justify the firing you know for sure he was behind it.  He’s not ever been that subtle.   

here is the latest PR campaign.  No way SecNav did this shit on his own.  How many rounds of starting with I didn’t do it and ending with okay I did it and I would do it again do you have to hear?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/trump-backs-dismissal-of-uss-roosevelt-captain-11586042319

by the way, the good Captain is now Positive for Covid.  Let’s all hope he is okay.