Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

toonkee

Coronavirus Politics

As I said before...this will be the reason this virus situation will last into the summer, not all states are on the same time frame of taking action ..some states will see recovery while others will plunge into the depths of the contagion 

32 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

NEVER thought i'd see trump publicly thank Rachel Maddow :shrug:

NEVER thought I'd see t

Strange times. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

22 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

CP, I don't know how old you are, but a long look at American History shows that after every event of restricted Civil Rights, typically during times of war and/or pandemic, within 10-15 years we witnessed an expansion of our Civil Liberties.

Revolutionary War - Bill of Rights

War of 1812 - Starting in the 1820's, States started granting voting rights to all white males over the age of 21.

Civil War- abolotion of slavery, the granting of citizenship to all born in the US, expansion of voting rights to black males.

WW1 and Spanish Flu - Woman's Sufferage

WW2 - Civil Rights movement. Elimination of poll taxes and litmus testing.

Post 9/11 emergency powers act, Stop and Frisk, etc. - expansion of Civil Rights to LGBTQ.

Somehow, I think we will come out of this okay.

@NVGiant

3 hours ago, tailingpermit said:

It’s my understanding that the bailout is a low interest loan that must be paid back. 

Same deal that Ford was given after the financial crisis, Ford paid back the loan on time and the government made money. 

Last I saw Ford was scheduled to pay it back in 2022.  Did they pay it back early?  Government has lost a lot on GM and Chrysler if I understand it all correctly.

Also, why can't a company like Boeing go secure their money from traditional sources instead of the government?

1 hour ago, Wyobraska said:

Last I saw Ford was scheduled to pay it back in 2022.  Did they pay it back early?  Government has lost a lot on GM and Chrysler if I understand it all correctly.

Also, why can't a company like Boeing go secure their money from traditional sources instead of the government?

Interesting.  I heard they all paid it back early and we made money on the deal.   You would think this historical fact would be data we could all agree upon.

Just now, FresnoFacts said:

Trump says tonight he told Pence not to call governors who are not "appreciative" of what is being done. He specifically singled out Michigan and Washington.

I thought there were 50 states to help. :shrug:

If you don't kiss the ring, you don't get help.

31 minutes ago, FresnoFacts said:

Trump has appointed Peter Navarro as the Defense Production Act policy coordinator.

Yeah

The guy who doesn't believe there is a shortage of PPE

One of the Final Five..........

22 minutes ago, FresnoFacts said:

Trump says tonight he told Pence not to call governors who are not "appreciative" of what is being done. He specifically singled out Michigan and Washington.

I thought there were 50 states to help. :shrug:

Referred to Michigan governor Gretchen Whitmer as "that woman in Michigan" in the process. 

3 minutes ago, mysfit said:

Yeah

The guy who doesn't believe there is a shortage of PPE

I believe China is the world's largest producer of PPE. The US imports large amounts of PPE from China.

Navarro is anti-China, look at his books the last few decades. He has been opposed to Chinese imports. Supposedly he pushed for the tariffs on China.

55 minutes ago, FresnoFacts said:

I believe China is the world's largest producer of PPE. The US imports large amounts of PPE from China.

Navarro is anti-China, look at his books the last few decades. He has been opposed to Chinese imports. Supposedly he pushed for the tariffs on China.

And he still made the comment recently that he didn't believe the medical community when it claimed they didn't have sufficient PPE

One of the Final Five..........

On 3/26/2020 at 3:43 PM, CPslograd said:

I'm finding it utterly depressing how quickly people on both sides of the spectrum have gladly abided our new police state.

Phucking thousands of years it took mankind to earn freedoms, and we give them all up cause we are scared.

I'll never forget this lesson as long as I live.

I mean... what lesson? That governors can make declarations that, when supported by most of the population, will be voluntarily followed?

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

14 minutes ago, happycamper said:

I mean... what lesson? That governors can make declarations that, when supported by most of the population, will be voluntarily followed?

Yeah, I'm not buying that our little timeout to help keep the effects of a pandemic to shoe level is this grand acquiescing to the police state and tyranny. It's been a week or two.