Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

toonkee

Coronavirus Politics

Ventilators can't be made solely at a car factory. Certain components still need to reside with current manufacturers. But they can help with some of it.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/27/business/automakers-ventilator-production-coronavirus/index.html

I imagine trying to educate the small fingered vulgarian on the distinctions and variables would be an epic undertaking 

One of the Final Five..........

1 hour ago, smltwnrckr said:

Wed be in a much better position to handle the crippling debt that will come out of this if the tea party practiced in the last 3.5 years what they preached in the 7 before that. The dude has a point.

No he doesn’t. The tea party congressmen voted like they did before. But when the rest of the party wants to make a deal, you get these blown out spending bills like we always do.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

On 3/22/2020 at 11:26 AM, NorCalCoug said:

They wouldn’t have.  This is team politics and nothing more.

Agree nothing would have stopped it. However it is possible the US would have been better prepared when it got here had we left the CDC team on the ground in China.

45 minutes ago, Fort Fun said:

Yeah, it's definitely confusing. Maybe Trump was banking on this GM deal being good to go, so he wasn't worried about ventilators moving forward? And now that they're apparently not holding up their side of the deal he's pissed off? I dunno.

There's a lot of talk about how Trump and Obama would handle this differently, I think this is the big one. I'm guessing Obama would have used his DPA powers right away and gotten hammered by the Right for "over-reach", as opposed to Trump's strategy of using DPA as leverage to get corporations to do stuff on their own. 

Even if Obama did, which he wouldn’t have until he heard about Coronavirus from the news, we’re not built to ramp up production how everybody wants. There is not enough people in the country with hands on experience of producing ventilators that could train ten others on the job to do it well. There is craft and skill involved at producing anything, and those are in short order for producing the things we need. What America is built to do is finance, distribution, and to consume foreign produced goods. Trump is an idiot, GM is trying, but it’s not so simple as saying those automobile line mechanics can just become expert ventilator craftsmen overnight.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

18 hours ago, toonkee said:

So gross...

And she's wondering whether stores may "waive" their policy of allowing returns within 30 days of purchase? Either she meant "rescind" and misspoke or she's clueless about what's actually been going on in retail.

But it's all good 'cause she checks the eye candy box.

Boom goes the dynamite.

17 hours ago, CPslograd said:

Yes, of course there needs to be some mitigation.  Closing schools is understandable,

But closing them for SIX MONTHS with virtually no data as to the extent to which the virus was going to impact society as Gavin Newsom did in our state is ridiculous. To paraphrase Sir Francis Bacon, knowledge is power and acting without knowledge is stupidity.

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 hour ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

No he doesn’t. The tea party congressmen voted like they did before. But when the rest of the party wants to make a deal, you get these blown out spending bills like we always do.

To say the tea party still existed as a group of spending hawks in any cohesive way when that budget passed is silly. That Justin Amash is reminding us of this probably only bothers the people who know this deep down to be true.

Edit: Honestly, I dont have it in me to relitigate a dead movement. I don't have a problem with Justin Amash having it in him though. Since he was very much part of it. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

2 hours ago, mugtang said:

She’s having a temper tantrum.  She does know that corporations employ people and this is so those people don’t get laid off and are forced on to the government unemployment rolls, right?

I'm not a fan of her or her little tantrum here that doesn't provide any substance from this clip, however, her and everyone should be questioning how we got here as a country and if this bailout was correct. 

Boeing has made plenty of missteps prior to this pandemic.  If they had avenues to explore for loans if the government imposed too many restrictions, then shouldn't they have to use those avenues first?  They should have had to put up assets for collateral and tried to secure a loan.  Anytime a large disaster hits, companies shouldn't get to go to the government for a free handout.  This is not how capitalism works. 

Also, why has a single airline manufacturer been able to gain so much power in the US and basically become a monopoly?  They abuse their position and make large profits off of government contracts already.  

These businesses need to go the traditional loan route as much as possible in these scenarios.  The taxpayers should not be on the hook for trllions of dollars for companies who do not prepare themselves for large scale problems.  I understand the last bailout and this one were extreme circumstances, but if the companies were in better shape the bailouts wouldn't have to be so large and companies should not be too big to fail.  

America is ruled by corporations and the tax payers are being put in an even worse situation now with this bailout.  Democrats and Republicans have brought us to this point.  These corporations abuse their power more now than ever through politics, handouts, and not paying their share or trying to improve the nation's they do business in by spying their fair share of tax.  Governments obviously need to do a better job as well with using taxes well and not wasting them.

I haven't finished this article yet either, but there could be bigger issues happening here too in regards to the Fed and treasury 

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/feds-cure-risks-being-worse-110052807.html

12 hours ago, tailingpermit said:

Did he really say “let them breath cake?”

I cannot find the quote in the two articles that include the headline.  

It's the publication's headline based on the column's assertion that Trump's approach to the coronavirus has been somewhat akin to Marie Antoinette's reply that if the French people were rioting because they had no bread, they should just eat cake.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Just now, SleepingGiantFan said:

It's the publication's headline based on the column's assertion that Trump's approach to the coronavirus has been somewhat akin to Marie Antoinette's reply that if the French people were rioting because they had no bread, they should just eat cake.

It’s pure clickbait trash.  

Will companies being bailed out be forced to actually give refunds to their customers? Cuz the airline and travel insurance companies are basically keeping my money. If they are getting any of this bailout money, they seem to be getting it at both ends. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

22 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

I'm not a fan of her or her little tantrum here that doesn't provide any substance from this clip, however, her and everyone should be questioning how we got here as a country and if this bailout was correct. 

Boeing has made plenty of missteps prior to this pandemic.  If they had avenues to explore for loans if the government imposed too many restrictions, then shouldn't they have to use those avenues first?  They should have had to put up assets for collateral and tried to secure a loan.  Anytime a large disaster hits, companies shouldn't get to go to the government for a free handout.  This is not how capitalism works. 

Also, why has a single airline manufacturer been able to gain so much power in the US and basically become a monopoly?  They abuse their position and make large profits off of government contracts already.  

These businesses need to go the traditional loan route as much as possible in these scenarios.  The taxpayers should not be on the hook for trllions of dollars for companies who do not prepare themselves for large scale problems.  I understand the last bailout and this one were extreme circumstances, but if the companies were in better shape the bailouts wouldn't have to be so large and companies should not be too big to fail.  

America is ruled by corporations and the tax payers are being put in an even worse situation now with this bailout.  Democrats and Republicans have brought us to this point.  These corporations abuse their power more now than ever through politics, handouts, and not paying their share or trying to improve the nation's they do business in by spying their fair share of tax.  Governments obviously need to do a better job as well with using taxes well and not wasting them.

I haven't finished this article yet either, but there could be bigger issues happening here too in regards to the Fed and treasury 

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/feds-cure-risks-being-worse-110052807.html

It’s my understanding that the bailout is a low interest loan that must be paid back. 

Same deal that Ford was given after the financial crisis, Ford paid back the loan on time and the government made money. 

Holy phuck.

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 hour ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

And she's wondering whether stores may "waive" their policy of allowing returns within 30 days of purchase? Either she meant "rescind" and misspoke or she's clueless about what's actually been going on in retail.

But it's all good 'cause she checks the eye candy box.

Bimbo

One of the Final Five..........