Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

toonkee

Coronavirus Politics

10 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

Sorry. I've done nothing but drink cheap whiskey and good beer, and smoke lots and lots of grass the last week. My attention span is nil. 

Hey, it's 4:20 somewhere in America. Pass the peace pipe.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

The only constant is change. An overdone phrase perhaps but still true.

There is a constant ebb and flow to it all. The inequity in this country has again reached a peak. Economic, racial, issues in the justice system, access to healthcare, food and income insecurity. Power and influence controlled by the elite few and special interest. An erosion of purpose and ethics.

Then this pandemic hits in a presidential election year.

So much is in  the balance. Don't despair over a perceived relinquishing of individual rights. These are the kinds of events which can lead to a reset. This is the sort of nexus for change and renewal.

Or a downward slide into the history books.

Others see frustration, I see an opportunity.

One of the Final Five..........

31 minutes ago, mysfit said:

There is a constant ebb and flow to it all. The inequity in this country has again reached a peak. Economic, racial, issues in the justice system, access to healthcare, food and income insecurity. Power and influence controlled by the elite few and special interest. An erosion of purpose and ethics.

So much is in  the balance. Don't despair over a perceived relinquishing of individual rights. These are the kinds of events which can lead to a reset. This is the sort of nexus for change and renewal.

Opportunity for what? Be specific.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

1 hour ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Opportunity for what? Be specific.

1 hour ago, mysfit said:

I'm not trying to pick a fight here misfit, honestly.  But to me that is kind of whistling past the grave yard.

Those individual rights are codified for times like now, right phucking now.  Not when everything is going smoothly.

Do we have to take drastic short term measures, of course.  But Spock would not approve of our response to this pandemic.  It's not rational in my opinion.  I just got in a argument with my wife who says I'm taking this too lightly, and I swear I'm not.  It's a big freaking deal, and tens of thousands of Americans are going to die from it.  Some soon, some in years to come.  But it doesn't seem to me that mitigation measures are being decided based on risk analysis, it seems like a herd panic.  No one wants to be the one that didn't react enough.

The death ticker on websites and cable news is straight out of Ron Burgandy.  There is no context to it.  Look 9 Californians died from Covid19 today.  But on average 10.5 Californians die every single day of every single year from auto accidents.  Yet we all pack our loved ones into the car every day and drive wherever we are driving to. 

Is extreme social distancing the answer?  Especially long term?  Or is there a way to phase in people getting back to work, while still suspending school and large gatherings.  And should all states in a continent spanning country be pursuing the same course of action?  That discussion needs to take place.

25 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Oh stfu Justin. I swear to god these assholes all never miss a crisis to say look at how important I am.

So, your okay with the Corporate bailouts and slush funds ? This is our government at its worst.

This is not a D and R issue and which party is best equipped to deal with b.s. like this.

When will the electorate wake up and stop voting for the D' and R's ? They're the ones that created this bipolar and corrupted system where they just point fingers and assign blame.

Wake the Feck up America ! We need to run these asshoes off. With tar and feather, pitchforks and torches.

Falls off soap box

Sleepy Falling Down GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos

Americans Mayor

1 hour ago, CPslograd said:

I'm not trying to pick a fight here misfit, honestly.  But to me that is kind of whistling past the grave yard.

Those individual rights are codified for times like now, right phucking now.  Not when everything is going smoothly.

Do we have to take drastic short term measures, of course.  But Spock would not approve of our response to this pandemic.  It's not rational in my opinion.  I just got in a argument with my wife who says I'm taking this too lightly, and I swear I'm not.  It's a big freaking deal, and tens of thousands of Americans are going to die from it.  Some soon, some in years to come.  But it doesn't seem to me that mitigation measures are being decided based on risk analysis, it seems like a herd panic.  No one wants to be the one that didn't react enough.

The death ticker on websites and cable news is straight out of Ron Burgandy.  There is no context to it.  Look 9 Californians died from Covid19 today.  But on average 10.5 Californians die every single day of every single year from auto accidents.  Yet we all pack our loved ones into the car every day and drive wherever we are driving to. 

Is extreme social distancing the answer?  Especially long term?  Or is there a way to phase in people getting back to work, while still suspending school and large gatherings.  And should all states in a continent spanning country be pursuing the same course of action?  That discussion needs to take place.

Social distancing is a (relatively) short term solution to buy healthcare the time it needs to obtain equipment and to slow the rate of coronavirus admissions to something manageable. That's actually more of a concern than the mortality rate. How do we keep the number of hospital admissions low enough that it doesn't swamp the system and how low does that need to be in order to providing care for all the other illnesses requiring treatment. They've had to cancel all elective surgeries in order to have any hope of managing this. Elective surgeries keep hospitals in business. It isn't sustainable in the long run to have to put all that on hold.

While we buy that time in the near future, we also ramp up our testing capabilities.

When we have all that lined up ( 2 to 6 months), we can back off the social distancing. Testing, widespread testing capacity, along with contact tracing, will allow us to target more limited areas where we will need social distancing to manage the admission loads. Instead of entire states, it will be cities or counties.

All the while we work on a vaccine. Once we have that vaccine, this will become like our typical seasonal flu's in terms of managing it.

That's the path with the least disruption to the economy, best option to not overburden health care and also to minimize loss of life.

We have to respond now, aggressively, in order to preserve our health care system and especially the workers. Once we can test, we can back off that and then apply it over a smaller area with more precision.

In terms of opportunity, I'm talking about our society and the need to level the wealth and earning power. We need to transit from a factory based society to service with a more remote work base. We are at the point of the next phase after the industrial revolution. A recalibration of the workplace and structure of society. A change from factory to service.

This upheaval from the pandemic could, should, lead to more lasting change on the structure if our society.

It's not about going back to what we had so much as moving forward to something more equitable and sustainable.

One of the Final Five..........

30 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

So, your okay with the Corporate bailouts and slush funds ? This is our government at its worst.

This is not a D and R issue and which party is best equipped to deal with b.s. like this.

When will the electorate wake up and stop voting for the D' and R's ? They're the ones that created this bipolar and corrupted system where they just point fingers and assign blame.

Wake the Feck up America ! We need to run these asshoes off. With tar and feather, pitchforks and torches.

Falls off soap box

Sleepy Falling Down GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos

I normally agree with Justin Amash on most things. But comparing the two situations is just stupid. This isn’t like previous economic crises. Investment banks weren’t playing fast and loose with crappy mortgages, car manufacturers weren’t selling themselves up the river to short sighted unions, fools who didn’t understand how to monetize the internet weren’t speculating in a strange new arena. Nobody did anything wrong here.

The government shut the economy down. Picking nits and delaying while a lot of the country are losing their jobs with no market to get another one, seeing their life’s work go up in smoke, having to tell their people they can’t pay them...all while facing the prospect of have many loved ones die in a short time without even being able to attend a funeral because of the risk of spreading the germ to more loved ones. It’s beyond irritating to see them play normal politics when what is going on is anything but normal. If Amash or anybody else is so worried about too much of the money falling into the hands of people who don’t need it, raise their taxes next year and get it back later. But to quibble over bullshit like this is infuriating.

edit: also steps off soapbox

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

It's infuriating to watch our Nation destroy itself over petty bullshit. Attacking, blaming , finger pointing and one upping, just to have the satisfaction of saying, "I'm right."

angry tom and jerry GIF

Americans Mayor

As to those who think we should sacrifice our elderly for the good of the Nation, start with everyone of our elected leaders. They need to be the first sacrifices.

sacrifice GIF

Americans Mayor

Go phuck yourself Trump

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 hour ago, CPslograd said:

There is a way but it’s going to take testing.  If we can’t identify and isolate people early in a rifle shot approach then we are stuck with a shotgun approach.  The testing is coming.  And it’s coming pretty quickly.  Once we have it readily available we can transition to your model. But to transition now when we can’t identify infected patients before they become feverish would be a disaster.   

53 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

I normally agree with Justin Amash on most things. But comparing the two situations is just stupid. This isn’t like previous economic crises. Investment banks weren’t playing fast and loose with crappy mortgages, car manufacturers weren’t selling themselves up the river to short sighted unions, fools who didn’t understand how to monetize the internet weren’t speculating in a strange new arena. Nobody did anything wrong here.

The government shut the economy down. Picking nits and delaying while a lot of the country are losing their jobs with no market to get another one, seeing their life’s work go up in smoke, having to tell their people they can’t pay them...all while facing the prospect of have many loved ones die in a short time without even being able to attend a funeral because of the risk of spreading the germ to more loved ones. It’s beyond irritating to see them play normal politics when what is going on is anything but normal. If Amash or anybody else is so worried about too much of the money falling into the hands of people who don’t need it, raise their taxes next year and get it back later. But to quibble over bullshit like this is infuriating.

edit: also steps off soapbox

I would largely agree with you except in the case of Boeing.  I thinks it’s pretty hard to say they didn’t dig at least part of their grave.  Which doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be helped but when their CEO said we don’t want an equity position we will find other solutions I felt fine. Then go do so.  

35 minutes ago, tailingpermit said:

Did he really say “let them breath cake?”

I cannot find the quote in the two articles that include the headline.  

No but he’s questioning the need for ventilators because he’s a medical expert. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

50 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

I would largely agree with you except in the case of Boeing.  I thinks it’s pretty hard to say they didn’t dig at least part of their grave.  Which doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be helped but when their CEO said we don’t want an equity position we will find other solutions I felt fine. Then go do so.  

Boeing employs 150,000 people. 3 million filed for unemployment just this week. Things aren’t getting better soon. The scale of the problem is beyond what would be reservations in normal times.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.