I am Ram

Cooking with Covid! Recipes for the professional hunkerer

On 4/16/2022 at 6:34 AM, retrofade said:

Looks freaking delicious. 

Yeah it does. But...

On 4/14/2022 at 7:29 PM, Stealthlobo said:

Can't take credit for this one, miss did most of the work, but it came out amazing.

Prosciutto orzo carbonara topped with burrata and spinach:

20220414_200430.jpg

Dude that is absolutely mouth-watering... I think I licked my laptop screen on impulse when I saw this.

That being said, I have a couple questions... Carbonara, at least according to my Sicilian friend, is made with pasta. I see rice. And where is all the crushed black peppercorn for which carbonara derives its name? :hmmm:

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

On 5/22/2022 at 1:14 PM, TheSanDiegan said:

Yeah it does. But...

Dude that is absolutely mouth-watering... I think I licked my laptop screen on impulse when I saw this.

That being said, I have a couple questions... Carbonara, at least according to my Sicilian friend, is made with pasta. I see rice. And where is all the crushed black peppercorn for which carbonara derives its name? :hmmm:

Orzo, not rice :)

and we add the peppercorn after we dish up

• Like 1

On 5/22/2022 at 12:14 PM, Stealthlobo said:

Orzo, not rice :)

and we add the peppercorn after we dish up

Ahhh, my bad... guess it was right there in the dish name wasn't it? :facepalm:

But as I understand it, to be carbonara, you don't just dress it with black pepper - you actually have to cook the non-pasta component with the black pepper, no?

I mean, I only know how to cook it as it was taught to me by my Sicilian friend, but the mofo is Sicilian and has mad culinary skillz. And he went to great length explaining the reason why it was called carbonara. :shrug:

On 5/22/2022 at 1:25 PM, TheSanDiegan said:

But as I understand it, to be carbonara, you don't just dress it with black pepper - you actually have to cook the non-pasta component with the black pepper, no?

On 5/22/2022 at 1:25 PM, TheSanDiegan said:

Heh, ask the miss, she's the chef. I'm just the help 😂

From last week - reverse-seared ribeye, with white sage and rosemary butter-sauteéd mushrooms and paired poorly with a too-thin pinot:

IMG-8666.jpg

In retrospect, it was more miss than hit - properly dry-brined with kosher salt and rub. And cooked to perfection. However...

The white sage overpowered the mushrooms, which should have been cremini instead of white (the store was out of the former). That's two strikes. And given it's a ribeye, I should have finished with a sear on the grill (instead of a skillet) and traded fat content for char, which would have elevated the flavor significantly. Nope - swing and a miss.

Then, to top it off, I flung the bat on my wild swing into the stands, which proceeded to put someone's grandma in a coma, by chosing to hold onto better structured and more complex Bordeaux varietals (saving them for what, exactly?) and instead chose a suboptimal pairing with what turned out to be a very mediocre pinot.  

Lessons learned. Will likely re-attempt for Father's Day next month.

#WhitePeopleProblems

On 5/22/2022 at 4:06 PM, TheSanDiegan said:

From last week - reverse-seared ribeye, with white sage and rosemary butter-sauteéd mushrooms and paired poorly with a too-thin pinot:

IMG-8666.jpg

In retrospect, it was more miss than hit - properly dry-brined with kosher salt and rub. And cooked to perfection. However...

The white sage overpowered the mushrooms, which should have been cremini instead of white (the store was out of the former). That's two strikes. And given it's a ribeye, I should have finished with a sear on the grill (instead of a skillet) and traded fat content for char, which would have elevated the flavor significantly. Nope - swing and a miss.

Then, to top it off, I flung the bat on my wild swing into the stands, which proceeded to put someone's grandma in a coma, by chosing to hold onto better structured and more complex Bordeaux varietals (saving them for what, exactly?) and instead chose a suboptimal pairing with what turned out to be a very mediocre pinot.  

Lessons learned. Will likely re-attempt for Father's Day next month.

#WhitePeopleProblems

Well hey… what are hits without misses.