I am Ram

Cooking with Covid! Recipes for the professional hunkerer

Some friends along with my wife and I do something big in the spring when track and school are out.  Usually have fresh seafood shipped in and do that.  Looking to branch out this year and try something different…

Been looking at barbecuing a young goat or piglet.  Has anyone ever tried this before?  any recipes?  Have access to a big barbecue on wheels that I can bring home to do it on.  Also considering buying a rotisserie that I can use along with my fire pit.

any and all suggestions would be welcomed

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 702Canary said:

Does my man card get revoked if I do meal kits i.e. Hello Fresh? 

To be fair the shit is good

You’re man card has been revoked way before admitting to that…lol

never tried these but I have some friends who have and they seem to like them.

On 1/25/2022 at 12:32 PM, Wyoguns said:

Pissing off all the liars and shit talkers on this forum who view this as their own personal playground and take offense to having their own shit thrown back in their face makes me happy.

HelloFresh makes me happy also.  HomeChef is good also.

• Haha 1

On 1/25/2022 at 6:01 AM, 702Canary said:

Does my man card get revoked if I do meal kits i.e. Hello Fresh? 

To be fair the shit is good

Yes. I mean no, but yes. :shrug: It sure as poop doesn't have a place on my personal playground in this thread about cooking tho. 

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

On 2/15/2022 at 9:20 AM, Maynard Delecto said:

Chicken Andouille and Skrimp (skrimps added at the end) Gumbo, just as I got the simmer going. No pix of finished product (served with white rice), too damned good to waste time taking pix, Grade = A++++++++++++++++++ #EbonicsCuisine

20220214_171929.jpg.4f3274235aa6e1d470bed5a78dec4521.jpg

Thicken with a roux and andouille sausage is a must.  

On 1/25/2022 at 1:32 PM, Wyoguns said:

I do hello fresh too. It's decent. Probably 9 out of 10 recipes are great. We suck at meal planning so this works out. Also forces me to cook vs ordering in.

On 2/1/2022 at 3:01 PM, TheSanDiegan said:

Yes. I mean no, but yes. :shrug: It sure as poop doesn't have a place on my personal playground in this thread about cooking tho. 

You have to prep and cook the meals.  The only difference is you're not buying the stuff at the store and use a recipe card.  I think they give out big discounts on your first orders, you should try it.   Most of the meals I make are outstanding.  I like HomeChef a little better than HelloFresh.

Also if you live in a market that has a LazyDog, their TV dinner plans are the bomb diggity.

• Like 1

Really easy recipe if you have an Instant Pot (or a crock pot I suppose). 

• 1-2lbs of a beef roast (chuck, rump, etc.)
  • 1 Packet Brown Gravy
  • 1 Packet Italian Seasoning
  • 1 Packet Ranch Dressing
  • 1 Cup Beef or Chick Broth (or stock)

Sear the roast (if you want) on the saute setting in your instant pot. Add the seasoning packets, then the broth (you can use more if you want), cook on high pressure for 60-90 minutes depending on the size of your roast. Once cooked, manually release the pressure, shred the beef when ready, and serve over your starch of choice. I usually go with rice. With a crock pot, it's probably more like 6-7 hours. 

• Like 2

This is the only bread recipe you'll ever need if you're not into baking bread. It's a German Bauernbrot, and it's easy enough to replace most of your crappy grocery store bread with should you so choose. It's not inherently healthy, but it has five ingredients, and you can experiment with adding seeds, using whole grains, etc.

The bread this recipe makes is fairly small, but you can just double the ingredients for a larger loaf.

500 g (about 18 oz) all purpose flour

7 g (1/3 oz) dry yeast

300 ml (just over 10 oz) lukewarm water

10 g (just a little over 1.5 ts) salt

0.5 ts sugar (to get the yeast all sexed up)

Throw stuff together. Knead using either:

• Your man hands
  • Your fancy-ass Kitchenaid (which used to be so much better before they became a lifestyle product and were made in China)
  • Your hand mixer

Do this for about 8 minutes till you get a nice smooth dough. The dough should have absorbed all the water and flour and not be very sticky. Add small amounts of flour or water as needed. Don't worry if your dough doesn't turn out great, it'll still taste awesome. 

Put in a bowl, cover, throw into the fridge overnight. You COULD let the dough rest for just two hours at room temp and get a decent bread, but letting the yeast work overnight at cool temperature is key to great flavor. 

Fire up your oven to about 430. While your oven heats up, knead the dough one more time by hand and try to shape it into a nice round ball. Put in a proofing basket or any old bowl with a bit of flour or towel to prevent stickiness. 

Let your oven heat up for an hour. Any oven telling you it's reached temperature before that is lying to you.

Put the bread in for about 45 minutes. Score with a lame or sharp knife.

Your bread is ready when you knock it and it sounds hollow. If you have a thermometer, it should read just over 200. 

Enjoy! Get some nice butter, nice honey and be in heaven!

• Like 1

On 3/14/2022 at 8:36 AM, 702Canary said:

You have to prep and cook the meals.  The only difference is you're not buying the stuff at the store and use a recipe card.  I think they give out big discounts on your first orders, you should try it.   Most of the meals I make are outstanding.  I like HomeChef a little better than HelloFresh.

Also if you live in a market that has a LazyDog, their TV dinner plans are the bomb diggity.

its honestly not bad...the meals are really good too...i had a hellofresh subscription for a bit...let it lapsed when i was in county but probably will start it back up soon...lol its a good deal honestly...plus getting deiveries ilke that means not having to deal with the retards at the wegmans or wherever too...which is an added bonus...lol

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Drink a whisky and say to hell with covid.....Smoker grill sides:

Cut up cabbage, tomatos, onion, peppers, carrots, celery, etc.   Toss with a bit of italian dressing, red/black pepper, garlic, onion powder, fresh mushrooms....place on a veggy screen put on smoker grill at 220 for 15 to 20 mins.   Goes with any smoked meats fish etc.

Cut small potatos in half , rough up cut surface.  butter and any other spice you want onion garlic red black pepper paprica.   Can start in microwave. Finsh on grill. Half our at 220.

Cream cheese.  Season block with anything savory... bagel, onion garlic, red pepper.. or sweet ...brown sugar, cinnamon, etc.  220 for an hour. Put on toast, potato or crackers

Any of these can go in the grill with main course.

Introducing last night's Jethro* Dinner Salad: One roasted chicken breast, one Roma tomato, a half-heart of romaine, carrot, cucumber, and chives, feta cheese, and freshly-made croutons, with air-fried chicken skin sprinkled on top. Dressed with virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

IMG-9005.jpg

*A Jethro salad is one that once you've eaten half of it still looks like you haven't had a bite

Salad ProTip: Take five minutes to cube a slice of bread and add a tsp of butter into a skillet to make fresh croutons. Sprinkle with ground garlic once off the burner. Elevates the shit out of any rabbit food.

IMG-9003.jpg

• Like 3

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

On 4/14/2022 at 10:29 PM, Stealthlobo said:

Can't take credit for this one, miss did most of the work, but it came out amazing.

Prosciutto orzo carbonara topped with burrata and spinach:

20220414_200430.jpg

Looks freaking delicious. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1