I am Ram

Cooking with Covid! Recipes for the professional hunkerer

My gal just made a pot of bouillabaisse using the canned fish, oysters, and clams in the cabinet. Garden veggies and herbs. Including garden saffron for that golden yellow color.

IMG_20200325_133615055.jpg

• Like 1

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

Best start getting a layer of fat on while you still can to survive the upcoming months of food rationing.

Bacon Cheeseburger Burrito - Serves one

1 lb ground beef
1/2 lb bacon cut into pieces
1/2 cup white onion chopped
1/2 cup pickles cut into medallions
1/4 cup ketchup and mustard
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
2 large flour tortillas
4 sticks of marbled cheddar cheese

Fry the bacon in a medium high saucepan or pot for 5 minutes. Add a splash of water to render the fat. Continue cooking for an additional 3-4 minutes or until the bacon has reached the consistency you like. Extract the bacon from the grease and set aside.
Cook the ground beef in a medium high pan until the beef has fully browned. Extract the liquid keeping the beef in the pan.
Add the onions to the beef and cook until the onions start to soften about 5 minutes
Turn the heat to low, add half the cheese, ketchup, mustard and pickled and mix well until the cheese has melted. Separate the remaining cheese in half.
Place the tortilla on a flat surface. Spread half the cheese around the surface of each tortilla. Place on a microwave safe plate on microwave for about a minute or until the cheese has melted. Place tortilla on a cutting board.
Add half the mixture to the center of the tortillas. Place 2 sticks of cheese in the center (of each tortilla) of the burger mixture. Roll the tortillas making sure the burritos are fully closed.
On a low pan, fry the burritos for about 3 minutes seam side down sealing them. Enjoy!

IMG_6330-800x800.jpg

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

Today I'm making fast chili.

1 green pepper diced

1 red pepper diced

1 onion diced

1 lb ground beef

1 can black beans

1 can kidney beans

1 can RoTel or equivalent

1 can corn (optional)

I cook the peppers and onions in about a tablespoon of oil. I salt and pepper the mixture. After it's cooked how I like, I add the beef. After the beef browns, I add: cumin, chili powder, paprika, dried minced garlic, dried cilantro, cayenne, white pepper and more salt and black pepper (All to taste. I don't measure it, but add more cumin and chili powder than everything else).

Then I add the RoTel, beans and corn. I add the juice that's in the canned beans, but not the liquid in the corn.

Bring to a boil for about 10 mins.

I serve with a tortilla, sour cream, and shredded cheese.

IMG_20200325_183736192.jpg

• Like 2

I BBQ a Trader Joe's peppered marinated pork loin over Weber Smoky Joe charcoal grill.  Wife did baked potatoes, asparagus, and garlic bread. Best pork loin I have ever had.

• Like 1
110926run_defense710.jpg

Italian Stromboli

1/2 pound sliced capicola. 
1/2 pound pepperoni. 
1/2 pound of mozzarella. 
Pizza dough from Trader Joe’s (or you can make your own).

Egg wash. 
Oregano. 
Can of Marinara. 

Preheat oven to bake @ 400 degrees, roll out pizza dough into a long oval shape.  Two rows of capicola to end of dough followed by 3 rows of pepperoni, cover with mozzarella cheese. Fold ends in and roll the dough until sealed like a burrito.  Cover top with egg wash, slice open spots to allow steam to escape and then cover with oregano. 

Cook 20-25 minutes until brown, serve with marinara on side for dipping...

125A4B0F-E51E-4D23-A782-10F8B85DCF07.png

• Like 3

On 3/16/2020 at 10:23 AM, bsu_alum9 said:

Make per instructions.  Add about 8 oz. of shredded cheese.  Can of drained tuna.  Large amount of black pepper and Tabasco.

Variation on this add

1 can cream of mushroom soup

Some frozen peas

Bake at 350 for 20-30 min

One of the Final Five..........

Bread and cheese is still relatively available in my area so I thought I'd post. I'll definitely be making this tomorrow as it's Friday and I can't have meat. I've been hooked on his videos the last few days, he's wholesome, upbeat, funny, and family friendly which is something I've been needing during these crazy times. 

• Cheers 1

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

I make this about once a month ... so good.   Its very rich in flavor.

https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/slow-cooker-beef-stroganoff/1b3f2c90-0924-4744-a7c2-1b82a4d4e133

Ingredients

1/4 cup butter,

2 lb boneless beef sirloin steak, cut into 3x1/2x1/4-inch strips, (I slice up a couple of rib eyes steaks vs. sirloin steak)

1 cup chopped onion,

2 cloves garlic, finely chopped,

1 can (10.5 oz) condensed golden mushroom or cream of mushroom soup,

1 carton (8 oz) sliced fresh mushrooms,

1/2 teaspoon salt,

1/4 teaspoon pepper,

4oz cream cheese, cubed (from 8-oz package),

1 container (8 oz) sour cream

6 cups hot cooked noodles or rice SAVE $

Steps

In 12-inch skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add beef strips, onion and garlic; cook 7 to 9 minutes or until beef is browned.
    In 3 1/2- to 4 1/2-quart slow cooker, mix beef mixture, soup, mushrooms, salt and pepper.
    Cover; cook on low heat setting 5 to 6 hours or until beef is tender.
    Stir cream cheese into beef mixture until melted. Stir in sour cream until well blended. Serve over noodles.
  • Like 1

On 4/19/2020 at 12:45 PM, Maynard Delecto said:

Scrambled eggs, grits, and homemade hashbrowns 

20200419_095718.jpg.3b0baea79f530a4d39c7d687d9b27901.jpg

20200419_104510.jpg

I don't know how anyone eats grits.

They look like they have the texture of diarrhea. 

• Like 1

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

14 minutes ago, RogueStout said:

I don't know how anyone eats grits.

They look like they have the texture of diarrhea. 

I’m surprised how much I’ve seen them on this thread, I thought they were a southern thing.  

You have to be careful when ordering breakfast in Illinois, northern Illinois you’ll get hash browns/home fries but in southern Illinois you’ll get grits. 

• Like 1

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/145060/idaho-style-finger-steaks/

Serve with french fries and the following condiment delicacy:

1/3 cup mayonnaise 

1/3 cup ketchup 

1/2 teaspoon chipotle chile powder

1 teaspoon garlic salt

Culinary perfection.

• Cheers 2

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg