I am Ram

Cooking with Covid! Recipes for the professional hunkerer

This thread is for simple, delicious recipes that can be made from pantry staples and thus can save your fellow MWCBoarder a trip to the grocery store. Got a kickass way to make box mac 'n cheese more interesting? Found a way to use those 80 lbs of oats you panic-bought at Costco? Have a favorite snow day recipe that never fails to raise your folks' morale? Post it here!

I'll start. Someone said in another thread that their store was sold out of bread. Well, it's not exactly a secret, but if you have flour and yeast, you have bread. I've made the "no-knead bread in a hurry" from Kitchn many times, and it's ridiculously easy and way better than most of the crap from the store. You'll need a Dutch oven or something similar for this:

(Quicker) No-Knead Bread
makes 1 loaf

3 cups bread flour
3/4 teaspoon regular yeast (not instant)
1 1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups water

Mix all the ingredients in the morning before you go to work. This should take about 3 minutes and leave you with a thick, slightly goopy dough. Mark Bittman calls it “shaggy.” Cover with a towel or some plastic wrap and leave it in the warmest spot in your kitchen. It should get a 6 to 8-hour rise.

When you come home from work lightly mist a counter or baking sheet with spray oil and turn dough out on it. Shape it roughly into a ball, mist with oil again, and cover with a towel or plastic wrap. Let proof for about an hour, or however long you have. (You can also proof your dough a little faster in the microwave!)

Heat the oven to 450°F. Put a Dutch oven (or one of these alternatives) in the oven to heat. When the dough has doubled in size, put it in the pan. You may have to pour it, pry it off the baking sheet, or just roll it in – the dough is very wet. Don’t worry if it looks a mess. Cover the pot with a lid and bake for 30 minutes. Remove lid and bake for another 15 minutes to let it brown.

You can be really sure that the bread is done when an instant-read thermometer inserted into the side of the loaf reads 210-220°F.

• Like 4

Rice Pilaf

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup orzo
  • 1/2 cup white rice
  • 1/2 yellow onion, finely diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed or minced
  • 1 tbsp olive oil or butter
  • 2 cups chicken broth or stock

Instructions

1. Heat oil or melt butter in saucepan or high walled saute over medium low heat
  2. Add orzo and toast until golden
  3. Add onion and cook until translucent
  4. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute
  5. Add white rice and chicken stock, stir until combined thoroughly
  6. Raise temperature to high until a boil is reached
  7. Drop temperature until a simmer is reached, cover, and let cook for ~20 minutes
  8. Season to taste with kosher salt and (preferably) freshly ground pepper

You can do a variant without orzo as well, in which case you use a full cup of white rice, skip step two, and add the rice with the chicken stock. It's really versatile, and you can do a lot of stuff with it. I'm making a lemon and parmesan variant tonight to eat with the chicken that I'm cooking for dinner. You could add vegetables, substitute wild rice, add chicken... really, the sky is the limit. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Well done.

Getting tired of Ramen Noodles ? Throw some frozen veggies into the boliing water and add a little garlic to kick it up a notch !

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

This is a pretty good recipe made from some pantry staples.

Cheesy white bean tomato bake

• ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 3 fat garlic cloves, thinly sliced
  • medium onion chopped
  • 6 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 2 (15-ounce) cans white beans (such as cannellini or Great Northern) or chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • ½ cup boiling water
  • Basil
  •  Kosher salt and black pepper
  • ⅓ pound mozzarella

Heat the oven to 475 degrees. In a 10-inch ovenproof skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Sauté the onions. Then Fry the garlic until it's lightly golden, about 1 minute. Stir in the tomato paste and fry for 30 seconds, reducing the heat as needed to prevent the garlic from burning.

Add the beans, water and generous pinches of basil, salt and pepper and stir to combine. Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the top, then bake until the cheese has melted and browned in spots, 5 to 10 minutes. If the top is not as toasted as you’d like, run the skillet under the broiler for a minute or 2. Serve at once

You can skip the onions, if you don’t have them hand. Or replace a can of beans with pasta. It’s all good.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, I am Ram said:

Definitely! Reminds me of this: 

Ramen noodles didn't exist when I was in college. We lived off pancake mix, crackers and the condiment packs we stole from a fast food restaurant.

• Haha 2

Americans Mayor

I'm throwing a corned beef roast into the crock pot for about 6 hours.

Around the fifth hour I'll throw in the mini potatoes (not sure of the name but they come in different colors in a netbag), bag of baby carrots, and about half a head of cabbage.

I wonder if they're still having the stripe bass derby in April, that would be fun to come out of self quarantine and go fishing. Stripe Bass is my favorite too.

• Cheers 2

8 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

Well done.

Getting tired of Ramen Noodles ? Throw some frozen veggies into the boliing water and add a little garlic to kick it up a notch !

I actually did ramen last night for fun. I eat a lot of ramen but this was the super cheap top ramen stuff.

I tossed peppers, onions, broccoli, cauliflower, and squash in olive oil, cracked pepper, and pink salt. Roasted them at 425 for 20 minutes (just until the broccoli started blackening), and then added some leftover chopped tri tip. Put some sriracha in the broth when cooking as well.

Topped the finished product with chopped scallions and radishes.

Honestly, it was pretty damn good. I mean, you are limited by how shitty those noodles are, but it was head and shoulders above just the standard package.

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

3 hours ago, RogueStout said:

I actually did ramen last night for fun. I eat a lot of ramen but this was the super cheap top ramen stuff.

I tossed peppers, onions, broccoli, cauliflower, and squash in olive oil, cracked pepper, and pink salt. Roasted them at 425 for 20 minutes (just until the broccoli started blackening), and then added some leftover chopped tri tip. Put some sriracha in the broth when cooking as well.

Topped the finished product with chopped scallions and radishes.

Honestly, it was pretty damn good. I mean, you are limited by how shitty those noodles are, but it was head and shoulders above just the standard package.

If your going to all that trouble, why not cook some real noodles ?  Sheesh.

And I am fecking jealous. Sounds like a tasty dish.

Americans Mayor

1 hour ago, Spaztecs said:

If your going to all that trouble, why not cook some real noodles ?  Sheesh.

And I am fecking jealous. Sounds like a tasty dish.

Ha, yeah it really wasn't much work. I had the veggies already in stock and was planning to make them, just wasn't too sure what I would pair them with.. I will definitely be using better ramen next time. I was really just wondering how good I could make the 10 cent version.

Mama brand is my go-to and Mike's Mighty Good brand if I am flush with $$.

81fP29Oe76L._SL1500_.jpg

cup-beef-ramen-soup-v3.jpg

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RogueStout said:

Ha, yeah it really wasn't much work. I had the veggies already in stock and was planning to make them, just wasn't too sure what I would pair them with.. I will definitely be using better ramen next time. I was really just wondering how good I could make the 10 cent version.

Mami brand is my go-to and Mike's Mighty Good brand if I am flush with $$.

81fP29Oe76L._SL1500_.jpg

I have some Mike's Mighty Good in my pantry right now. It's damn tasty.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, RogueStout said:

Mama brand is my go-to and Mike's Mighty Good brand if I am flush with $$.

81fP29Oe76L._SL1500_.jpg

I am going to have to look for this....after the zombie apocalypse.  Stores have been sold out of ramen for a while now.

3 minutes ago, BYUcougfan said:

I am going to have to look for this....after the zombie apocalypse.  Stores have been sold out of ramen for a while now.

What kills me is that I just keep the Mama brand stuff around all the time, and I went to order it just to replenish my pantry and it is now a month+ wait.

:pitchforks:

A good thing to make while you are working from home is bread.  I made a loaf of whole wheat sandwich bread today.  Yes, it takes a long time...around 4 hours, but that is duration and not your personal time, which is right around 25 minutes.  Mix the dough and start the first rise before you start work.  Forming the loaf and doing the 2nd rise takes about 5 minutes of your time.  Pop it in the oven and you are good.

• Like 1

These are currently my favorite ramen. Couple green onions, a bit of tofu or chicken, a little cheese - so, so good! They also exist in 2x spicy, but the regular version is already good for 5 hours of indigestion and a butthole lit up like 4th of July. Twice that seems unnecessary...

20190701000726_0.jpg

32 minutes ago, I am Ram said:

These are currently my favorite ramen. Couple green onions, a bit of tofu or chicken, a little cheese - so, so good! They also exist in 2x spicy, but the regular version is already good for 5 hours of indigestion and a butthole lit up like 4th of July. Twice that seems unnecessary...

20190701000726_0.jpg

Who the phuck eats tofu but a sheep!  That shit is nasty!

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, I am Ram said:

20190701000726_0.jpg

The 2x hot is +++++ing ridiculous. I bought a bunch because I heard they were really good and could not even eat three bites.

I plan to just halve the amount of paste/seasoning if I end up having to dip into those packages. 

• Cheers 1