Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GoLobos1012

Best MWC basketball games of all time?

I’m sure several ESPN channels are/will be showing replays of some great games of the past. It got me thinking, which games would you like to watch again?

One of the MWC tournament games that first came to mind for me was when UNM played UNLV in the quarterfinals way back in 2002, the double overtime game that ended 120-117. Also the UNM/BYU semifinal game from 2011 when Jimmer got his 52. Even though we lost that sure was something to watch. 

What MWC basketball games were some of the best?

The last championship comes to mind. I want to say there was a championship a few year back between New Mexico and San Diego State that was phenomenal as well. 

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

8 minutes ago, GoLobos1012 said:

One of the MWC tournament games that first came to mind for me was when UNM played UNLV in the quarterfinals way back in 2002, the double overtime game that ended 120-117.

That was a great one.  The Lou Kelly vs. Reuben Douglas battle.  

Although fairly meaningless, Dalron Johnson's half court shot to beat Wyoming early in MWC history was an entertaining contest with a wild finish.  

The crazy comeback late in Kruger's first season to beat SDSU in OT.  

1 hour ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

The last championship comes to mind. I want to say there was a championship a few year back between New Mexico and San Diego State that was phenomenal as well. 

You might be thinking of a late season game in which SDSU came back from about an 18-point deficit with about 5 minutes left to beat UNM at Viejas essentially won the conference regular season title for the Aztecs. I'm not going to bother researching it but Alford was coaching UNM at the time.

Those were the days when you could say MWC basketball was very good with a straight face.

Boom goes the dynamite.

2 hours ago, Ernie Baer said:

That was a great one.  The Lou Kelly vs. Reuben Douglas battle.  

Although fairly meaningless, Dalron Johnson's half court shot to beat Wyoming early in MWC history was an entertaining contest with a wild finish.  

The crazy comeback late in Kruger's first season to beat SDSU in OT.  

I have never seen the double A get that quite that quick, that was a brutal loss for the Pokes.

1 hour ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

You might be thinking of a late season game in which SDSU came back from about an 18-point deficit with about 5 minutes left to beat UNM at Viejas essentially won the conference regular season title for the Aztecs. I'm not going to bother researching it but Alford was coaching UNM at the time.

Those were the days when you could say MWC basketball was very good with a straight face.

Neal was the man in charge of that epic melt down.  UNM went on to win the tourney conference championship game in a rematch vs the Aztecs, most likely the game that the earlier poster was referring to.  UNM beat the Aztecs twice that year.  Los Lobos haven't been worth a damn since that year.  

Although not a MWC game I’d like to see the Loyola Marymount-Michigan game in the NCAA tournament in the Paul Westhead era. I remember the buildup for that game and how LMU killed the Steve Fisher coached Wolverines with the fast break.

3 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Although not a MWC game I’d like to see the Loyola Marymount-Michigan game in the NCAA tournament in the Paul Westhead era. I remember the buildup for that game and how LMU killed the Steve Fisher coached Wolverines with the fast break.

I just watched clips of UNLV/LM during their national championship run after Hank Gathers had died. Paul Westhead was a really good coach, but his team couldn't run with the rebs that night.

Anyway, for rebel fans, this is a six part series on youtube that surfaced again on twitter this afternoon, talking to Jerry and several of the players, because why not.. Many on this board probably have no idea why reb fans want that back, because they (other fans) have never had it.  And, no, it isn't 'MW', but it is UNLV.

2 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

I just watched clips of UNLV/LM during their national championship run after Hank Gathers had died. Paul Westhead was a really good coach, but his team couldn't run with the rebs that night.

Anyway, for rebel fans, this is a six part series on youtube that surfaced again on twitter this afternoon, talking to Jerry and several of the players, because why not.. Many on this board probably have no idea why reb fans want that back, because they (other fans) have never had it.  And, no, it isn't 'MW', but it is UNLV.

That was one of the funnest NCAA tourneys ever. That LM run was a thing of beauty until they ran into UNLV. Loved the duke beat down in the finals.

2008 TCU-UNLV MWC Tournament game at the Mack.  TCU had a terrible team, but for one shining moment, they exchanged blows with UNLV all night long.  UNLV won on the last shot with a Wink Adams three pointer.  TCU fired their coach and the Rebels went on to win the MWC Tournament.

11 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

very cool. Brings back some good memories. I was at the game at the T&M earlier when LMU and Hank Gathers came to town. 

And for the record. We understand why you want to get it back. What Mountain West fans don’t understand, is why UNLV fans don’t recognize that they won’t ever get it back.

16 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

very cool. Brings back some good memories. I was at the game at the T&M earlier when LMU and Hank Gathers came to town. 

And for the record. We understand why you want to get it back. What Mountain West fans don’t understand, is why UNLV fans don’t recognize that they won’t ever get it back.

who said we don't recognize we will never get that back, there will never be another team like that, anywhere. and definitely not another coach as good as tark was. what we hate is where we have been taken in the 8 years of rice and menzies, after finally gaining some respectability with kruger. although we will never 'get back' what we had, we should NOT be as awful as what we have been.

But for the last few years I have been saying that if we were to get a decent coach, we would get more recognition, and more quickly, than other teams in the conference, BECAUSE of what we had had, and we saw that this year, with being the team the national media said to 'watch out for', with a 17-14 record.

we are always going to expect more than finishing 6th or 8th in the league, there's no getting around it. who knows, maybe TJ can get the rebs back to at least making some semi-decent runs in the ncaa tournament again. :D

12 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

who said we don't recognize we will never get that back, there will never be another team like that, anywhere. and definitely not another coach as good as tark was. what we hate is where we have been taken in the 8 years of rice and menzies, after finally gaining some respectability with kruger. although we will never 'get back' what we had, we should NOT be as awful as what we have been.

But for the last few years I have been saying that if we were to get a decent coach, we would get more recognition, and more quickly, than other teams in the conference, BECAUSE of what we had had, and we saw that this year, with being the team the national media said to 'watch out for', with a 17-14 record.

we are always going to expect more than finishing 6th or 8th in the league, there's no getting around it. who knows, maybe TJ can get the rebs back to at least making some semi-decent runs in the ncaa tournament again. :D

I think I would agree with you if we were just talking about you or @toonkee, and a few others. You guys are level-headed. But a significant segment of UNLV fan base always thinks that they are the next coach away from rekindling the Tark days. These are the same people who try to characterize every SDSU accomplishment or any other conference mate’s run as small-time - without a passing thought to the idea that UNLV hasn’t come close to such “small-time” achievements in many years - because your program was great 30 years ago.

Your last line in this post is spot on. Yes, UNLV should be better than it has been. No, it’s not likely it will achieve what it did in the 80s and early 90s ever again. But it could and should be more competitive in the league. Until it gets to that point, though, talk of rekindling the magic from the 80s just looks delusional. 

15 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

I think I would agree with you if we were just talking about you or @toonkee, and a few others. You guys are level-headed. But a significant segment of UNLV fan base always thinks that they are the next coach away from rekindling the Tark days. These are the same people who try to characterize every SDSU accomplishment or any other conference mate’s run as small-time - without a passing thought to the idea that UNLV hasn’t come close to such “small-time” achievements in many years - because your program was great 30 years ago.

Your last line in this post is spot on. Yes, UNLV should be better than it has been. No, it’s not likely it will achieve what it did in the 80s and early 90s ever again. But it could and should be more competitive in the league. Until it gets to that point, though, talk of rekindling the magic from the 80s just looks delusional. 

oh, we will always be what you consider delusional, because if it happened once, when the odds were highly against tumbleweed tech becoming what it was, it could happen again. :)