Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mysfit

Business impacts coronavirus

33 minutes ago, Jackrabbit said:

There will be great financial pain and this virus threat is 90%  is overblown.  The mainstream media doesnt care that it is at the core of creating a panic.

Again, I have said and agreed on other threads.  The power of our media to pretty much shut down America (1) for ratings, and (2) change our leadership is becoming near absolute.   The media pressure on business and govt to shut down is incredible. If you have any question about this, check out some "calming" news clips during the swine flu.

I am not downplaying this threat, but there is a difference between pressuring business/govt to close and isolating nursing homes or at risk people.  We can only hope folks will be questioning everything in a week or two....the people at the lower end of the economic scale will needlessly suffer most.

Maybe I'm not looking in the right places, but I don't really see it.  The media reports I read are just reporting what's happening (closures, rates, advice from medical professionals). I see all the panic being caused from social media like pics of empty shelves everywhere and telling friends/family)strangers to stock up all everything. 

9 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

You forget most Trumpers can’t do math.   They can’t calculate a death rate or comprehend that without testing to keep those asymptomatic carriers from spreading the disease community spread will occur.  They can’t look at Italy whose leadership dithered far too long and realize they are choosing who gets access to respirators and who has to die.   

I think you’re being unkind. We’ve spent years being told Nazis are taking over the country, that net neutrality would kill people, that world war three was imminent, that Vladimir Putin controls our elections; there’s no shortage of stupid things that were wrong we’ve been told and people paraded about. It’s as old as Aesop. 

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

2 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

I think you’re being unkind. We’ve spent years being told Nazis are taking over the country, that net neutrality would kill people, that world war three was imminent, that Vladimir Putin controls our elections; there’s no shortage of stupid things that were wrong we’ve been told and people paraded about. It’s as old as Aesop. 

Perhaps but one can take the numbers quoted by Trump, do basic math, and realize the concern.   For the right wing nut jobs to Pooh Pooh this stuff is ridiculous.  Here is an article about France which is ahead of us.

http://www.leparisien.fr/societe/coronavirus-c-est-plus-grave-que-prevu-12-03-2020-8278890.php

12 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

You need new science then. A lot more people are dying of this compared to the flu. Right now nowhere near as many people have caught it as have caught the flu. If that many people do catch it you’re looking at a huge number.

To follow on your point.  The death rate for the flu is .1%.   The math that matters @modestobulldog is the death rate not the absolute numbers.   

Ok back to the business impacts.  Apple is closing all of its stores until March 27th.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

7 minutes ago, Stealthlobo said:

Maybe I'm not looking in the right places, but I don't really see it.  The media reports I read are just reporting what's happening (closures, rates, advice from medical professionals). I see all the panic being caused from social media like pics of empty shelves everywhere and telling friends/family)strangers to stock up all everything. 

This is how I see it also.

Why does it seems to only be the usual Trump apologist who are parroting that this is an overblown "media" induced panic?

What I've seen is constant 24/7 coverage because this is the biggest global story at this time. I've asked several posters to link any videos that show the mass media "inducing panic"...so far, crickets.

As you said,decisions for all the actions which have been taken so far have been made by commissioners and business professionals and are based in advice from our government agencies and the medical/scientific community.

26 minutes ago, Stealthlobo said:

Msnbc fox cnn are virus 24-7.   My retired inlaws only watch cable tv.   They have pretty much freaked out and isolated themselves in their house.

1 minute ago, Jackrabbit said:

Msnbc fox cnn are virus 24-7.   My retired inlaws only watch cable tv.   They have pretty much freaked out and isolated themselves in their house.

Yes, they are reporting it 24/7. They are, supposedly, "news" organizations. It is the current story world wide. What do you think they're going to report?

Some have complained that it's "the way" they report it. Whatever the hell that means.

And yes, CNN has been criticizing the President and his response, or lack there of, to this crisis.

And Fox has been defending the President and criticizing their competitors. So, in other words, business as usual.

And your, I assume, elderly in-laws probably should reduce their outside contacts. I know my parents who now live with my sister are planning on staying close to home for at least the next few weeks.

11 minutes ago, Jackrabbit said:

They were reporting on it 24/7 when I was in India and Germany last week, but they were freaking out and panicking like they are here.  Something with the American mentality that feeds off itself when it comes to panicking...

1 hour ago, modestobulldog said:

The testing point is a farce. If he really wants to take a world war II approach, he should commandeer the toilet paper factories, get those things running 24/7 and the national guard delivering door-to-door.

Dude it certainly isn’t a farce to me when I’ve been in Santa Clara and I have mild symptoms.  Given my wife could easily die from Corona Virus having already severely compromised lungs, knowing what is behind my cough is kind of important.  

56 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Yes, they are reporting it 24/7. They are, supposedly, "news" organizations. It is the current story world wide. What do you think they're going to report?

Some have complained that it's "the way" they report it. Whatever the hell that means.

And yes, CNN has been criticizing the President and his response, or lack there of, to this crisis.

And Fox has been defending the President and criticizing their competitors. So, in other words, business as usual.

And your, I assume, elderly in-laws probably should reduce their outside contacts. I know my parents who now live with my sister are planning on staying close to home for at least the next few weeks.

For the press to say the prez is lacking in reponse infers a panic and its simply not true.  Inlaws are in their mid 60s and in fairly good health.

If news gave us realistic risks and infection rate it would be different.....the way they report it 

1 minute ago, Jackrabbit said:

For the press to say the prez is lacking in reponse infers a panic and its simply not true.  Inlaws are in their mid 60s and in fairly good health.

No it doesn't. Especially if it's true, and so far his message has been less than inspiring.

CNN and MSNBC criticize the President everyday. Has their reporting inferred "panic" before?

What's Fox reporting? Are they telling all their watchers to go about their daily routine as if nothings happening?

2 hours ago, Jackrabbit said:

There will be great financial pain and this virus threat is 90%  is overblown.  The mainstream media doesnt care that it is at the core of creating a panic.

Again, I have said and agreed on other threads.  The power of our media to pretty much shut down America (1) for ratings, and (2) change our leadership is becoming near absolute.   The media pressure on business and govt to shut down is incredible. If you have any question about this, check out some "calming" news clips during the swine flu.

I am not downplaying this threat, but there is a difference between pressuring business/govt to close and isolating nursing homes or at risk people.  We can only hope folks will be questioning everything in a week or two....the people at the lower end of the economic scale will needlessly suffer most.

Absolutely but let's not confine the blame to the "mainstream" media. It's being overblown just as badly in all media.

It can be assumed that everyone who posts here has attended college if not obtained some sort of graduate degree. As such, none of us should be doing things like buying every roll of toilet paper we can get our hands on. What the hell is the rationale behind that? Something as illogical as thinking that you're going to have to be quaranteened in your home for six months? Or that toilet paper factories are going to be shut down? The paranoia out there makes me seriously concerned about just how dimwitted millions of our fellow citizens must be.

Boom goes the dynamite.

16 minutes ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

Absolutely but let's not confine the blame to the "mainstream" media. It's being overblown just as badly in all media.

It can be assumed that everyone who posts here has attended college if not obtained some sort of graduate degree. As such, none of us should be doing things like buying every roll of toilet paper we can get our hands on. What the hell is the rationale behind that? Something as illogical as thinking that you're going to have to be quaranteened in your home for six months? Or that toilet paper factories are going to be shut down? The paranoia out there makes me seriously concerned about just how dimwitted millions of our fellow citizens must be.

They just don’t have experience being locked down. You see the same things during hurricane season every year, and those people do have that experience.

Fun fact, the comfy butt wipe Americans are used to is mostly produced in North America. Should be something widely disseminated but apparently that doesn’t get you clicks and views.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

100% agree with this. Scratch that, 110% agree with this:

https://reason.org/commentary/telecommuting-is-helping-fight-covid-19-and-can-help-companies-and-cities-over-the-long-term/

A long-term increase in telecommuting could reduce greenhouse gas emissions, while also reducing government spending on infrastructure.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

13 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

100% agree with this. Scratch that, 110% agree with this:

https://reason.org/commentary/telecommuting-is-helping-fight-covid-19-and-can-help-companies-and-cities-over-the-long-term/

A long-term increase in telecommuting could reduce greenhouse gas emissions, while also reducing government spending on infrastructure.

I agree, long overdue.  A programmer friend of mine only had to go in the office one day per week.  He said it was easier to focus at home.

110926run_defense710.jpg

7 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

I agree, long overdue.  A programmer friend of mine only had to go in the office one day per week.  He said it was easier to focus at home.

I’m way more productive at home. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

6 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

I go into the office 4 days a week and telecommute on Fridays. The only reason my department goes into the office at all is the outdated views of my direct boss. She doesn’t trust anyone to work from home. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg