Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mysfit

Business impacts coronavirus

Layoffs are starting. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

My uncle owns a small party rental business and yesterday he got slammed with phone calls with people wanting to cancel their events. The Bakersfield Boat & RV show is this weekend that brings in quite a bit of money for him and vendors were calling him demanding their money back, but he kept telling them no that he was 3rd party and they needed to call the fairgrounds to demand a refund. He got calls from Chevron (they have a huge plant near Taft), Relay for Life, Halliburton, Cal State Bakersfield, Bakersfield College, and a few other places all wanting to cancel events he had scheduled through June. He had a nervous breakdown this morning after Cal State Bakersfield called him saying they might cancel graduation. If this quarantine lasts through May his business is in financial ruin. Small businesses all around the country are going to be devastated.   

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

It’s going to be tough times for a lot of people. I don’t think there was any policy jiu-jitsu that could have been done to prevent this though. Be proactive and you scare people, then the economy tanks. But just operating with a business-as-usual-just-wash-your-hands-a-lot approach and the large gatherings of people will eventually lead to a more serious outbreak, followed by an overwhelmed healthcare system, followed by more deaths. Then you truly go from panic to hysteria, and the economy tanks anyway, but worse. 

Sometimes shit just happens; call it a force of nature, act of god, whatever. But it happens and there is no magic policy combo that keeps the economy humming along without skipping a beat. 

Thank God The Donald is working hard to bail out the billionaires.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

2 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

It’s going to be tough times for a lot of people. I don’t think there was any policy jiu-jitsu that could have been done to prevent this though. Be proactive and you scare people, then the economy tanks. But just operating with a business-as-usual-just-wash-your-hands-a-lot approach and the large gatherings of people will eventually lead to a more serious outbreak, followed by an overwhelmed healthcare system, followed by more deaths. Then you truly go from panic to hysteria, and the economy tanks anyway, but worse. 

Sometimes shit just happens; call it a force of nature, act of god, whatever. But it happens and there is no magic policy combo that keeps the economy humming along without skipping a beat. 

Yep. This is a world war, with a germ instead of a bunch of nations. It’s going to be rough because we’ve not seen anything like this in our lifetimes. The economy will bounce back when we win. I believe in my fellow Americans. We’ll get through this.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

There will be great financial pain and this virus threat is 90%  is overblown.  The mainstream media doesnt care that it is at the core of creating a panic.

Again, I have said and agreed on other threads.  The power of our media to pretty much shut down America (1) for ratings, and (2) change our leadership is becoming near absolute.   The media pressure on business and govt to shut down is incredible. If you have any question about this, check out some "calming" news clips during the swine flu.

I am not downplaying this threat, but there is a difference between pressuring business/govt to close and isolating nursing homes or at risk people.  We can only hope folks will be questioning everything in a week or two....the people at the lower end of the economic scale will needlessly suffer most.

Lots of people will be losing a job in about a week. I mean lots of people. Then s***'s going to hit the fan. I just hope things backfire on the media and the Democrats.

110926run_defense710.jpg

8 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Yep. This is a world war, with a germ instead of a bunch of nations. It’s going to be rough because we’ve not seen anything like this in our lifetimes. The economy will bounce back when we win. I believe in my fellow Americans. We’ll get through this.

Thank God this country came together during the two world wars, we're going to fight each other instead of the virus. And I agree with the few, this thing is over blown and it's really little more than the nothing burger.

110926run_defense710.jpg

1 minute ago, modestobulldog said:

Thank God this country came together during the two world wars, we're going to fight each other instead of the virus. And I agree with the few, this thing is over blown and it's really little more than the nothing burger.

Well if we had decent testing then this situation would be less problematic.   I’m at home because I have a cough and no access to a test.   My son got back from Greece and is being asked to self quarantine because no test access.   

if you want to blame someone blame the idiot in the White House who spent weeks telling people like you it’s nothing instead of ramping up our testing capability.  Perhaps if he hadn’t closed the pandemic team we would have adequate testing already.   

6 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Well if we had decent testing then this situation would be less problematic.   I’m at home because I have a cough and no access to a test.   My son got back from Greece and is being asked to self quarantine because no test access.   

if you want to blame someone blame the idiot in the White House who spent weeks telling people like you it’s nothing instead of ramping up our testing capability.  Perhaps if he hadn’t closed the pandemic team we would have adequate testing already.   

The testing point is a farce. If he really wants to take a world war II approach, he should commandeer the toilet paper factories, get those things running 24/7 and the national guard delivering door-to-door.

110926run_defense710.jpg

9 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

The math of it tells me this thing is more than a nothing burger. And we will come together, in practice if not online. We will stay home more. We will be wary about our older loved ones, our loved ones with cancer and other diseases testing their immune system. This is a country full of good people. A free people, free to talk and argue and place blame where they think it should go. This thing would have been a lot worse if we carried on as if nothing was happening, so if it turns out to be not near as bad as it’s been sold keep that in mind.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

1 minute ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

The math of it tells me this thing is more than a nothing burger. And we will come together, in practice if not online. We will stay home more. We will be wary about our older loved ones, our loved ones with cancer and other diseases testing their immune system. This is a country full of good people. A free people, free to talk and argue and place blame where they think it should go. This thing would have been a lot worse if we carried on as if nothing was happening, so if it turns out to be not near as bad as it’s been sold keep that in mind.

You forget most Trumpers can’t do math.   They can’t calculate a death rate or comprehend that without testing to keep those asymptomatic carriers from spreading the disease community spread will occur.  They can’t look at Italy whose leadership dithered far too long and realize they are choosing who gets access to respirators and who has to die.   

5 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

The science of this is telling me very few people are dying as compared to flu.

110926run_defense710.jpg

5 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

The science of this is telling me very few people are dying as compared to flu.

You need new science then. A lot more people are dying of this compared to the flu. Right now nowhere near as many people have caught it as have caught the flu. If that many people do catch it you’re looking at a huge number.