Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mysfit

Business impacts coronavirus

1 hour ago, modestobulldog said:

I agree, long overdue.  A programmer friend of mine only had to go in the office one day per week.  He said it was easier to focus at home.

I am much more productive at home.  I am on calls 12-14 hours a day.  In an office this translates to people bugging me in my office dozens of times a day.

7 minutes ago, nashvillepoke said:

I am much more productive at home.  I am on calls 12-14 hours a day.  In an office this translates to people bugging me in my office dozens of times a day.

My issue as well. I constantly have people dropping by my office to chit chat about stupid unimportant shit during the day. That and I have a 1.5 hour commute (only 26 miles) both directions, so I waste 3 hours a day in the car. I’m typically angry and exhausted at the end of my commute.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

30 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

My issue as well. I constantly have people dropping by my office to chit chat about stupid unimportant shit during the day. That and I have a 1.5 hour commute (only 26 miles) both directions, so I waste 3 hours a day in the car. I’m typically angry and exhausted at the end of my commute.

Now we understand 😀.  Just kidding, that was my commute too. Last summer, I started taking the Altamont Corridor Express commuter train when it increased to 1:45 each way.  Now it is 2 hours each way, but much lower stress.  I plan to retire in a few months.  For me, this just might be a financial windfall at the end of my career.  The lower interest rates will increase the lump sum pension payout, and with a few months flexibility, I may just get axed instead of retirement with a one-year severance package.

110926run_defense710.jpg

28 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

Now we understand 😀.  Just kidding, that was my commute too. Last summer, I started taking the Altamont Corridor Express commuter train when it increased to 1:45 each way.  Now it is 2 hours each way, but much lower stress.  I plan to retire in a few months.  For me, this just might be a financial windfall at the end of my career.  The lower interest rates will increase the lump sum pension payout, and with a few months flexibility, I may just get axed instead of retirement with a one-year severance package.

Good luck man. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

2 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

I did consulting in Fort Collins for a while and then took a job with Xcel Energy in downtown Denver. I used to commute from west Fort Collins to downtown Denver.  7 miles of stop lights on Harmony to get to the 25, then 55 miles to outside Denver and 10 miles through heavy traffic, then deal with downtown street traffic. Then I’d have to park and pay $9 to $50 to park for the day depending if there was a day Rockies game, then walk 3/4’s of a mile to my building through sometimes below zero blizzard conditions having homeless trying to bum money off me, then wait in line to get through building security, take the elevator to the 5th floor stopping at every floor, then walk to my desk. Then take the elevator to the basement to get a company truck, fight downtown traffic to get to a job site I had to look at. I lasted 3.5 years and burned out on that job. My worst day with weather was 3 hours each way. 

kat.jpg

Statewide, Publix is starting to shut down at 8PM every night (they usually close at 11PM) so as to deep clean the places every night. 

Got to say, I'm shocked at how orderly things are around here. I've seen none of the crazy shit other people are posting on FB and elsewhere...it's business as usual around here, if not a lot more subdued because of how empty the town is. The stores are all full though and everything orderly. The bars are open, and I haven't seen anyone get into a fistfight over bottled water yet. 

I think it has something to do with the fact there's hurricanes down here every year...people are just simply used to a variety of impending doom-esque crises and act as such. It's almost too orderly. 

2 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

Statewide, Publix is starting to shut down at 8PM every night (they usually close at 11PM) so as to deep clean the places every night. 

Got to say, I'm shocked at how orderly things are around here. I've seen none of the crazy shit other people are posting on FB and elsewhere...it's business as usual around here, if not a lot more subdued because of how empty the town is. The stores are all full though and everything orderly. The bars are open, and I haven't seen anyone get into a fistfight over bottled water yet. 

I think it has something to do with the fact there's hurricanes down here every year...people are just simply used to a variety of impending doom-esque crises and act as such. It's almost too orderly. 

I was going to post something similar but I'll leave this.......

" If you want Floridians to take the coronavirus seriously. ...have Jim Cantore report on it."

21 hours ago, Jackrabbit said:

Msnbc fox cnn are virus 24-7.   My retired inlaws only watch cable tv.   They have pretty much freaked out and isolated themselves in their house.

Cable news has blown everything out of proportion for decades. It’s why our collective point of views can be so distorted.

There will be a long tail of impacts in some industries.

The overstocking/hoarding will reduce the sale of some products for some time after this passes.

For example, depending upon the source I've seen a per capita toilet paper use in the US estimated at 1 to 3 standard size rolls per week. Without getting into arguments about which is correct lets just use 2 standard rolls per person per week.

If Americans were in complete isolation/lockdown for a month (totally prevented from going out shopping or receiving home delivery which is unlikely) then that is 8 standard rolls per person needed, say 4 of the double/mega rolls per person, to get thru a crisis.

Some households have already stocked way more than that as if it were Armageddon coming.

Paper product companies will likely have a sales slump in the second and third quarters of 2020.

16 minutes ago, FresnoFacts said:

There will be a long tail of impacts in some industries.

The overstocking/hoarding will reduce the sale of some products for some time after this passes.

For example, depending upon the source I've seen a per capita toilet paper use in the US estimated at 1 to 3 standard size rolls per week. Without getting into arguments about which is correct lets just use 2 standard rolls per person per week.

If Americans were in complete isolation/lockdown for a month (totally prevented from going out shopping or receiving home delivery which is unlikely) then that is 8 standard rolls per person needed, say 4 of the double/mega rolls per person, to get thru a crisis.

Some households have already stocked way more than that as if it were Armageddon coming.

Paper product companies will likely have a sales slump in the second and third quarters of 2020.

Yep, one hell of a whipsaw.

110926run_defense710.jpg

On 3/14/2020 at 12:20 PM, BSUTOP25 said:

100% agree with this. Scratch that, 110% agree with this:

https://reason.org/commentary/telecommuting-is-helping-fight-covid-19-and-can-help-companies-and-cities-over-the-long-term/

A long-term increase in telecommuting could reduce greenhouse gas emissions, while also reducing government spending on infrastructure.

Somebody here thought you were joking and maybe you were. However, I'm a self-employed consultant in L.A. who travels not only to SoCal but the Bay Area, Vegas and sometimes Arizona and Oregon for work. I see almost no reason that people couldn't hire me to work by Skype but I've literally never had such an offer. Rather, they choose to pay me mileage and often travel time to meet with them. It's asinine and I'm sure there are millions of people just like me.

But let's get real. Close to half of our fellow citizens don't give a rat's ass about the environment.

Boom goes the dynamite.

10 minutes ago, nashvillepoke said:

Actually it isn't. Hitler and Mussolini never took over private industry.

Communism yes, fascism no.

Boom goes the dynamite.