Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ph90702

My company told us we have to work from home.

3 minutes ago, sjsbuff said:

No doubt this is having a wide-spread effect on the entire world, but I wouldn't judge it now.  I'd judge it when it's ran it's course.  Whenever that is... 

I think it’s safe to start judging it now.  80+% of the cases only result in mild symptoms.  Anyone under age 60 and who has no underlying health condition has a less than 1% chance of dying.

Rudy Gobert said he could’ve played.  Tom Hanks is able to do interviews.

The NCAA Tournament, and life, should have gone on.  Most people would’ve decided to go watch the games.  They think the risk is worth it.  I know that I’m not altering my life at all.

The individuals who are at higher risk should take precaution as they have a legitimate chance at dying.

In principle, this is not really different than the flu.  And the mortality rates are misleading.  There are people who got it who will never know.

Something to think about re. working from home.  How long can you do it?  All these travel restrictions, closing public interactions, shutting down colleges, etc. will be effective in restricting the pace of infection.  That's a good thing as it takes some pressure off of the health care workers in dealing with the sick, but at some point it's still going to make it's way in.  At some point we have to interact with other folks and take the chance on getting sick.

The fastest (and most inhumane) way to deal with this is to ignore it, bury the dead, and move on with a mostly resistant population.  That's obviously not an option so decreasing the rate of the spread is the best approach.  It's going to make it easier to deal with, but will extend the time till it's in our rear view mirror.  This approach not only (hopefully) keeps hospitals from getting overrun, but also buys some time for science to develop treatments and vaccines.  Either way though, a ton of folks are going to get it.  It's just a matter of when.  It's something I'm trying to be smart about, but I don't believe hiding in my basement for a couple of weeks and then getting out in public again will save me.

2 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

I think it’s safe to start judging it now.  80+% of the cases only result in mild symptoms.  Anyone under age 60 and who has no underlying health condition has a less than 1% chance of dying.

The NCAA Tournament, and life, should have gone on.  Most people would’ve decided to go watch the games.  They think the risk is worth it.  I know that I’m not altering my life at all.

The individuals who are at higher risk should take precaution as they have a legitimate chance at dying.

In principle, this is not really different than the flu.  And the mortality rates are misleading.  There are people who got it who will never know.

Eh, practice away, Doctor Who.  Me?  I'll leave my white Halloween doctor's coat (Dr. Jeckyll, don't you know) in the closet for use another day, thank you very much...

2 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

Something to think about re. working from home.  How long can you do it?  All these travel restrictions, closing public interactions, shutting down colleges, etc. will be effective in restricting the pace of infection.  That's a good thing as it takes some pressure off of the health care workers in dealing with the sick, but at some point it's still going to make it's way in.  At some point we have to interact with other folks and take the chance on getting sick.

The fastest (and most inhumane) way to deal with this is to ignore it, bury the dead, and move on with a mostly resistant population.  That's obviously not an option so decreasing the rate of the spread is the best approach.  It's going to make it easier to deal with, but will extend the time till it's in our rear view mirror.  This approach not only (hopefully) keeps hospitals from getting overrun, but also buys some time for science to develop treatments and vaccines.  Either way though, a ton of folks are going to get it.  It's just a matter of when.  It's something I'm trying to be smart about, but I don't believe hiding in my basement for a couple of weeks and then getting out in public again will save me.

I definitely agree about trying to curb the rate of infection, but I will NEVER agree with cancelling the NCAA Tournament.

We live in a society now where we are willing to do anything in an attempt to get 100% safety.  That is VERY troubling to me.  Life inherently has risks.  That’s the price of freedom.

This virus is way overblown.  Unless you are over 60 or have underlying health conditions, there’s no reason to worry.

Its essentially no worse than getting the flu.  We don’t shut the world down over the flu.

The really good news is that the CDC reports that one of the best disinfectants for the disease is alcohol.

So, if you have to work from home, drink heavily!

I have been working from home for 8 years,  it was an adjustment at first, but I wouldn't have it any other way at this point.  The biggest problem I have still to this day is the times.  When I worked in an office, you always had this feeling that you had to leave at 5 - 6 pm.  When working from home I get pretty absorbed and them I look at the clock and it is 8 or 9 pm

I'm in state government and my department implemented red level protocols this evening which is our highest emergency level.  We can't shut down, regardless, so I'll be going in unless ill or quarantined because of exposure.  My laptop was updated today to allow me to work from home if quarantined.

1 hour ago, ph90702 said:

This virus is way overblown.  Unless you are over 60 or have underlying health conditions, there’s no reason to worry.

Its essentially no worse than getting the flu.  We don’t shut the world down over the flu.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/nation-world/national/article241095161.html

Read, it's not very nice too everybody... Don't take this lightly, it is on the level of airborne pneumonia, which it causes.

2 hours ago, ph90702 said:

You're talking about approx. 150 million American citizens. There are approx. 50 million Americans age 60 or older. Approximately half of Americans suffer from cardiovascular disease. The measured crude fatality rate of symptomatic covid-19 patients with cardiovascular disease is over 13%.

While you may be at low risk, your indifference plays loosely with a lot of lives.

Co-morbid-CFA.jpg

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

32 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

You're talking about approx. 150 million American citizens. There are approx. 50 million Americans age 60 or older. Approximately half of Americans suffer from cardiovascular disease. The measured crude fatality rate of symptomatic covid-19 patients with cardiovascular disease is over 13%.

While you may be at low risk, your indifference plays loosely with a lot of lives.

Co-morbid-CFA.jpg

There is no hard number for at-risk populations, it's always a range. The top range increase for cardiovascular patients vis a vis the flu is 13% as well.

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

3 hours ago, ph90702 said:

This whole coronavirus shit is way overblown.

It would be one thing if this was a new generation form of AIDS and this was a death sentence, but that’s not the case.

It has been a death sentence for dozens of people in the orient, in Europe and a few on cruises and vacations. Over 230 have died from it at least.  It is getting worse and will continue to get worse for some time. Perhaps it is overblown but I will not take unnecessary risks because of your opinion. I remember in the 60's and 70's when aids came to the fore many magazines had articles written by physicians and medical researchers stating that aids was very overblown. In fact one of the big magazines (Time, US World Report, Look,) I don't remember which stated that it was impossible for a woman to be infected by a man with aids and that this had been proven by research on African aids patients by the precursor of the WHO. Obviously untrue then and now. Beware PH but if you really want the disease go to a dating site and advertise for an infected female to date.

3 hours ago, kalua pig said:

as a professional gambler,pimp,and drug dealer,working from home is nothing new.

Pig you get more and more interesting. Perhaps this is why Bow has PM ed a letter to me expressing his endless love for you. Or he may just be inebriated again but I prefer that it is the former. Or for your sake the latter.

1 hour ago, Wyovanian said:

There is no hard number for at-risk populations, it's always a range. The top range increase for cardiovascular patients vis a vis the flu is 13% as well.

True. And valid point regarding the correlation between influenza and cardiovascular disease deaths. However I would appreciate it if you could please cite the source for your 13% figure?

I went looking for it myself, and while I could not find it, I did find a current revised number (10.5%) for the co-morbid fatality rate for covid-19 patients with cardiovascular disease, as published today in the American Journal forManaged Care in which it references this clinical bulletin dated March 6 from the American College of Cardiology. 

And while I could not find it quantified per say, from the same bulletin:

"Cardiac complications of COVID-19 are approximately commensurate with SARS, MERS, and influenza analogs"

Which would seem to generally support your point.

What is equally important to realize however is that while influenza resulted in approx. 400,000 hospitalizations last year, in the absence of containment, covid-19 has the potential to hospitalize 6 million to 30 million Americans. And while influenza resulted in - what, 61,000 deaths? - last year, in the absence of containment this could result in millions of deaths in this country.

11 hours ago, ph90702 said:

This.  But soys of the world scream and cry on social media non stop until actions are taken.  Soys ruin the world, pussies.

9 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Co-morbid-CFA.jpg

So does driving. 1.25 million die per year in the US and its 50/50 to who's at fault. Should stop driving to ensure you don't hurt someone else

12 hours ago, mugtang said:

I expect to be working from home soon

Got work from home orders today. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 hour ago, mugtang said:

Got work from home orders today. 

Maybe this will lead to companies realizing that working from home doesn’t decrease productivity.  Therefore, we would be able to work from home more often.

With modern technology, there’s no reason to be flooding the roads with cars.

2 hours ago, jewelz4562000 said:

So does driving. 1.25 million die per year in the US and its 50/50 to who's at fault. Should stop driving to ensure you don't hurt someone else

KSiO374.gif

Where to begin to address the stupid in your post? :blink:

1. That is a global figure numbnuts. Spreading out of control in a global pandemic, covid-19 could kill 200 million people or more. And just in case it's not crystal clear, 200 > 1.25.

2. The number here - in the US - where we could see, according to the CDC, as many as 200,000-2.4 million deaths alone, there were 33,000 deaths from road accidents last year, about half the deaths resulting from the flu.

:hmmm: