Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

westfan

Corona Virus potential long term impact?

5 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

You guys still get weed from Mexico?  That's rough.

honestly I have no idea where it comes from anymore but it's sure gotten stronger since my first puff in 2003 lol

mem skyline sig.jpeg

I’m seeing that new cases in the US (US as a whole) fell on the 21st as compared to the 20th.  However, I’m not 100% sure of the source of that info.  Is anyone else seeing the same?

Is it fitting or irony that possibly the most versatile word in the English language is also of unknown origin?

5810036134_cb4d739b38_b.jpg

24 minutes ago, bornsilverandblue said:

I’m seeing that new cases in the US (US as a whole) fell on the 21st as compared to the 20th.  However, I’m not 100% sure of the source of that info.  Is anyone else seeing the same?

Scroll down to the "Daily New Cases in the United States" graph:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

We'll see soon enough if the slight downturn on March 21 is a trend or an outlier.   For those that somehow can't read/access the graph, some recent numbers:

March 17 - 1,748

March 18 - 2,848

March 19 - 4,530

March 20 - 5,594

March 21 - 4,824

One can hope this is hopeful trend, but you just don't know about the reporting, etc.  The days and weeks ahead will tell the tale...

1 hour ago, sjsbuff said:

One can hope this is hopeful trend, but you just don't know about the reporting, etc.  The days and weeks ahead will tell the tale...

Yep, could just be a function of not all entities reporting on the weekend.

2 hours ago, SpartanDude said:

Yep, could just be a function of not all entities reporting on the weekend.

A friend pointed to another possibility: tests now in many areas being reserved for the most serious cases.  I remain cautiously hopeful.

Is it fitting or irony that possibly the most versatile word in the English language is also of unknown origin?

5810036134_cb4d739b38_b.jpg

4 hours ago, sjsbuff said:

We'll see soon enough if the slight downturn on March 21 is a trend or an outlier.   For those that somehow can't read/access the graph, some recent numbers:

March 17 - 1,748

March 18 - 2,848

March 19 - 4,530

March 20 - 5,594

March 21 - 4,824

I mean IF we were testing everybody it would be positive info. But honestly I am assuming it is because in many places they are just testing people that need to actually be admitted to the hospital... Many people with symptoms are just being sent home (without a test) and told to self quarantine for 14 days. Then they quarantine and hopefully get better if not they will show up to hospital and get admitted/tested. 

35 minutes ago, bornsilverandblue said:

A friend pointed to another possibility: tests now in many areas being reserved for the most serious cases.  I remain cautiously hopeful.

Yep. I have been saying that since the start. It is going take a couple of weeks until they start testing everyone. Until that point in many places it will just be the serve cases.

Just like staff (I work in an hospital but my area would not directly treat a known COVID pt) in my clinic are asking for N95 masks. I told them we will not get a single one for weeks. Those supplies will be sent to areas providing direct treatment to COVID/suspected COVID pts. Will will likely be exposed to a COVID pt but "oh well" in a time of crisis you have to prioritize were limited resources are used. 

11 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

I'm so f***ing tired. 48 hours last week, 57 hours this week and lines wrapping around the store at 9am just to hoard crap.

plus, filling 90 day scripts for cash/discount card has become common with this panic buying we're seeing leading to 3 times more dispensing for me. (aka more hours)

at least we're getting a 300 dollar bonus for dealing with all this BS the past 2-3 weeks and their also paying out our full quarterly bonus (called Sam's Share) no matter what kind of numbers your store is posting...I wanna say max out on that is like 250-300 bucks.

I'll take it.

Mon: 

90356743_2781154678598433_13934374526847

Tue:

90000321_2783409501706284_98961402324058

Wed:

89974482_2778853605495207_67254351292687

it just went on and on like that til Friday...

In case you haven’t been told enough, thank you. You’re doing a great job. This is a war and you’re on the front lines. We all appreciate that.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

5 hours ago, sjsbuff said:

March 17 - 1,748

March 18 - 2,848

March 19 - 4,530

March 20 - 5,594

March 21 - 4,824

Unfortunately March 22nd was by far the worst day in the U.S. since reporting began: 9,339 new cases and 117 new deaths.

19 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

In case you haven’t been told enough, thank you. You’re doing a great job. This is a war and you’re on the front lines. We all appreciate that.

thx, bro...i REALLY appreciate it. it's been tough but we're making it! :-)

mem skyline sig.jpeg

4 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

thx, bro...i REALLY appreciate it. it's been tough but we're making it! :-)

Yes, thank you.  You guys deserve bigger bonuses for putting your health and potentially your life on the line.  Stay safe out there! 

On 3/23/2020 at 12:17 AM, HawaiiMongoose said:

Unfortunately March 22nd was by far the worst day in the U.S. since reporting began: 9,339 new cases and 117 new deaths.

Seems like a great time to 'open the country up' like the moron in chief is proposing.

2 hours ago, roughrider said:

Seems like a great time to 'open the country up' like the moron in chief is proposing.

It is actually.  Have you seen the stores?  How do you think the goods show up?  How do you think the goods get grown and processed?  It doesn't happen by magic.   

You'll see more deaths from a Depression than you'll see from this virus.   Already, there have more cases than normal of child abuse happening because people are getting stir-crazy at home.   

Everyone talks about a flattening the curve but all the does is expand the life cycle of the virus and give time for it to mutate.   That's why there are second and third waves of infections because the virus was able to survive and mutate.   You want to kill the virus quickly, get everyone infected and it'll die much quicker.  Keep in mind that the flu virus mutates quite a bit slower than the cold virus.  It one of the reasons why you can have a somewhat effective flu vaccine and why there isn't a vaccine for cold viruses.   The US is pretty good at adapting to rapid situations more so than back in 1918.  We can setup instant hospitals and hotels and cruise ships are offering space for the infected patients that need hospitalization.   Yeah, perhaps 30% -40% of the population will be infected just like the flu, but not all will have symptoms heavy enough for hospitalization. 

I've seen the charts from the Spanish flu of Philly vs St. Louis.  Sure Philly had a large spike but it was over much, much quicker than St. Louis.   Yeah, it scares people but the long politician drag this on, there will be other consequences and death that will cause even more harm than the virus itself. 

6 minutes ago, MWC Tex said:

It is actually.  Have you seen the stores?  How do you think the goods show up?  How do you think the goods get grown and processed?  It doesn't happen by magic.   

You'll see more deaths from a Depression than you'll see from this virus.   Already, there have more cases than normal of child abuse happening because people are getting stir-crazy at home.   

Everyone talks about a flattening the curve but all the does is expand the life cycle of the virus and give time for it to mutate.   That's why there are second and third waves of infections because the virus was able to survive and mutate.   You want to kill the virus quickly, get everyone infected and it'll die much quicker.  Keep in mind that the flu virus mutates quite a bit slower than the cold virus.  It one of the reasons why you can have a somewhat effective flu vaccine and why there isn't a vaccine for cold viruses.   The US is pretty good at adapting to rapid situations more so than back in 1918.  We can setup instant hospitals and hotels and cruise ships are offering space for the infected patients that need hospitalization.   Yeah, perhaps 30% -40% of the population will be infected just like the flu, but not all will have symptoms heavy enough for hospitalization. 

I've seen the charts from the Spanish flu of Philly vs St. Louis.  Sure Philly had a large spike but it was over much, much quicker than St. Louis.   Yeah, it scares people but the long politician drag this on, there will be other consequences and death that will cause even more harm than the virus itself. 

Pretty sure that the reason for 'flattening the curve' is so as to not overwhelm the hospitals and staff, and equipment will be available.