Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

westfan

Corona Virus potential long term impact?

7 minutes ago, quickdraw said:

My take on what I’ve read of this thread:

There sure are a bunch of asshole on this forum.

Would you name them for me?  I haven't seen any.

6 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

Would you name them for me?  I haven't seen any.

Its amazing to me that there are people here with little to no regard to the grief and suffering of others due to this event.  

It's as if they are welcoming a thinning of the herd, so to speak.  

I just hope those that feel this way are directly affected in some way 

People keep saying things like, oh the flu still kills more, etc. But this isn't replacing the flu (something that honestly people probably don't give enough of a shit about), this is in addition to the flu. Like 1-2% estimated mortality rate or not, should we do nothing about this?

No it won't stop it. But it will slow down infection rates, which is important because the healthcare system can be overwhelmed. That's when shit would get bad.

8k3esKz.png

12 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

Its amazing to me that there are people here with little to no regard to the grief and suffering of others due to this event.  

Wow, simply wow. This virus is bringing out both the best and worst in people. I guess that shouldn’t be surprising. 

Just now, Del Scorcho said:

I just hope those that feel this way are directly affected - karma

How about we call them realists?  Folks are gonna' die from this virus, just like folks die from other viruses.  It's not a good thing, but no amount of caring will change it.  You can discuss it from a scientific/mathematical standpoint, or a heartfelt socially concerned standpoint, or a cold acceptance of the facts standpoint.  None are wrong.  None make the individual an asshole.  It's all just a matter of how you view the facts.  They are facts.  People are going to die.  Getting emotional about it won't change that any more than stocking up on toilet paper will.  It's fine if someone wants to recognize the tragic human side of the situation, and equally fine (IMO) if someone wants to see it from a bigger and less emotional point of view.  It's all the same picture in the end, and none of the viewpoints make anyone an asshole.

Personally, I hope I don't lose anyone I care about and am taking common sense steps to address that.  I'm also in the higher risk population and I'm taking common sense steps to address that but if someone wants to look at the situation from a pragmatic standpoint instead of an emotional one I don't see a problem.  It's just way too touchy-feely to expect people to examine the tragedy of the worst case scenario IMO.  I think we need to see it in perspective.

26 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

You can’t start here.

26 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

And finish here.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

1 hour ago, Wyovanian said:

1.When nature does it, it's not eugenics, it's Darwinism.

2. They're not really around to witness your utter ignorance of history.

3. Perhaps you should recognize not everyone shares your value for life at all costs. Guess we can solidly pencil you in as "pro-life".

I hope you don't mind but I put all your posts together as individually they kind of suck as one-liners.

1. By this bullshit logic we should suspend all efforts at fighting disease. Hell, let's limit admittance to healthcare facilities to people who only got injured using man-made machines like a Goddamn American, right? Heart attack? Stroke? Cancer? GTFO pussy. Go die in the street like Darwin intended. :rolleyes:

2. Idiot-Button25x25.jpg

3. What kind of drunken drooling f*cktard equates the desire to look out for one's senior and elderly family members with being pro-life? :blink: Not to mention, I respect the wishes of all those Americans over 65 who don't want to suffer and/or die and wish to act accordingly.

Those of you malformed middle-aged midget cranks who can't seem to grasp that or want to go lick a shopping cart and die are more than welcome to. Just go sequester yourselves in some front range bouncy castle and GTFO so the rest of us can lay low and keep on keepin' on, m'kay?

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

59 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

They gave and risked their lives for liberty. Not the other way around.

They also rationed gasoline, meat, and clothing; to provide support for those who could actually do something productive about the situation.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

4 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

They also rationed gasoline, meat, and clothing; to provide support for those who could actually do something productive about the situation.

And people got put to work, not put out of work.

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

2 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

And people got put to work, not put out of work.

That’s what the situation called for, this time it calls for people to stay away from each other.

37 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

Life is hard. Nature's a rough master. The show must go on.

Just now, thelawlorfaithful said:

That’s what the situation called for, this time it calls for people to stay away from each other.

This is turning very quickly into a "cure" that is worse than the disease.

10 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

I have one of my grandparents' old ration books around here somewhere. It's amazing how ignorant some are of history.

3 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

This is turning very quickly into a "cure" that is worse than the disease.

So now you get to decide what our lives are worth? Since when is that an American ethos?

Maybe not all of us share your dispensable outlook, disdain, and/or lack of value for other people's lives.

14 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

I have one of my grandparents' old ration books around here somewhere. It's amazing how ignorant some are of history.

He’s not. He’s just a prickly guy. That why we love him.

38 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

Life is hard. Nature's a rough master. The show must go on.

When some adversity occurs I have a friend that says in a joking way “life is a bitch and then you die”. It’s more serious now, but humor can take the edge off. 

People react and cope in a lot of different ways. Some act nonchalant, some joke, others get really serious. To each his own. 

4 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

When some adversity occurs I have a friend that says in a joking way “life is a bitch and then you die”. It’s more serious now, but humor can take the edge off. 

People react in a lot of different ways. To each his own. 

We all die. It's how much we live that matters. Getting emotionally mired in others' misfortunes is a death unto itself. No time to feel sad for the salmon when the bear is after YOU.

"Can't get to heaven on roller skates,

Can't take a taxicab to Timbuktu.

Life is hard." -Timbuk 3

45 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

So now you get to decide what our lives are worth? Since when is that an American ethos?

Maybe not all of us share your dispensable outlook, disdain, and/or lack of value for other people's lives.

That ethos was established on the blood stained battlefields of Lexington and Gettysburg, and the bloody sands of Iwo Jima and Normandy when people gave their lives so that others could not just live, but live freely. That was their condition of surrender.

It's NOT an "outlook"- it's a natural fact. Living things die, and life goes on. Species go extinct, and life goes on. Nature always goes on. WE are a part of nature.