Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

westfan

Corona Virus potential long term impact?

25 minutes ago, Bob said:

Do you guy realize over 60.... 60 whole people have succumbed to this pandemic in the USA! Over 60 people in a country of 300 million. Time to panic~!

I cant imagine being that unfeeling.  6k have died worldwide and it's just beginning to spread through many other countries.  

So my daughter has a friend who is a nurse on vacation.  Said nurse was supposedly called today and was asked to come home early because the state was contemplating shutting the borders.  If I lived anywhere but Colorado I would have brushed it off as nonsense.  However, I do live in CO.  We are a state run by idiots that were elected by idiots.  It could be true. 

While the dangers of Covid19 are real, so are the dangers of halfwits.

21 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

So my daughter has a friend who is a nurse on vacation.  Said nurse was supposedly called today and was asked to come home early because the state was contemplating shutting the borders.  If I lived anywhere but Colorado I would have brushed it off as nonsense.  However, I do live in CO.  We are a state run by idiots that were elected by idiots.  It could be true. 

While the dangers of Covid19 are real, so are the dangers of halfwits.

Other than you are talking about the entire state, closing off Colorado areas is not a new attitude.

Gunnison County closed its borders during the Spanish Flu. Residents could leave but not return to the county without going into mandatory quarantine. Violators were arrested.

https://www.gunnisontimes.com/content/gunnison-and-great-influenza-0

1 minute ago, FresnoFacts said:

Other than you are talking about the entire state, closing off Colorado areas is not a new attitude.

Gunnison County closed its borders during the Spanish Flu. Residents could leave but not return to the county without going into mandatory quarantine. Violators were arrested.

https://www.gunnisontimes.com/content/gunnison-and-great-influenza-0

The Spanish Flu was a whole different deal and closing state borders is beyond extreme.

20 minutes ago, Bob said:

Are you unfeeling to the 56,000,000 that die each year 

deflection is a stupid tactic

If someone you cared about were infected suddenly it would be extremely important.  I'm married to someone who is immuno-supressed if she caught it, she'd have a high chance of serious complications.  Joke around about it if you must, but many of us dont have that luxury

I keep forgetting there is an ignore feature.

Bye bob

5 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

I have more fatalistic thoughts on this virus.  No one wants to die, but once you reach the age of seventy you realize death is right around the corner. If it’s from this virus, cancer, or a heart attack your time is going to be up sooner than later. The ones I have empathy for are the younger group that won’t have their shot at a full life. Fortunately their odds on surviving the virus are much higher. 

I get that. While a generation or so removed (I'm GenX), if I were to not wake up tomorrow I will pass with few if any regrets. I feel blessed and have lived a full life. But I see the concern in my dad's eyes, for both him and my mom.

Four to eight weeks. That's all we have to collectively lay low for this to blow over with minimal costs. If we bite the bullet now -  for just four to eight weeks - we can all rest relatively easy afterwards and get on with enjoying our lives. I'm sure soup and slam would prefer that over a premature and avoidable departure, with or without regrets. :)

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/

This is a fantastic article explaining the reason why social distancing is imperative to "flatten the curve" and how that effects the spread of the virus.  It has some really good graphical simulations to show you the difference between doing nothing and doing what we are now doing.

1 hour ago, Bob said:

Are you unfeeling to the 56,000,000 that die each year worldwide?

If we aren't careful about this - we could add a million a day to that number. That would put us around 421,000,000.  This is new territory. We need to take this seriously.  And if we do and succeed, just remember:

When you do things right - some people won't think you've done anything at all.

I am in Spokane. Went to the store tonight and there was no bread, no pasta, no canned goods, no paper products.

People are losing their shit. Hopefully the supply chain remains strong but it is certainly being tested by these hoarding assholes.

5 hours ago, Bob said:

Hey, guys? Are we all dead yet????

56,000,000 deaths every year from all causes and we are supposed to be scared shitless of this OK

Bob, what you need to realize is on the low end of the spectrum, this alone could more than double that total by adding an additional 77,000,000 deaths worldwide.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

5 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

I am in Spokane. Went to the store tonight and there was no bread, no pasta, no canned goods, no paper products.

People are losing their shit. Hopefully the supply chain remains strong but it is certainly being tested by these hoarding assholes.

The supply chain is fine.  Nobody is wiping their ass more often, nobody has upped their ramen intake, etc.  By May or June, no additional goods will have been sold but sales will drop like a rock once the basements are full, and supply will stay stable.  Once we get past this media driven spike you can get all you want of anything you want.  It's a temporary situation driven by idiots.

1 hour ago, Bob said:

Are you unfeeling to the 56,000,000 that die each year worldwide?

I understand where you are coming from.  This is a new process, and the data is just not clear yet.  If we are not careful, we could add another 350-400 million on top of that.

This thing is very infectious.  Its easy to get. Most of us  - > 80% will get it.

It behaves very differently from person to person.  Some barely know they have it.  Others die fairly quickly.  Start adding in hypertension, obesity, diabetes,  and being 40+ years old, the data is currently showing your at a high risk. 

Who knows what will happen this week. Testing is becoming more and more frequent.  The world is flying blind right now.  Every week that goes by, we will know if we did the right things or not.

China is offline - and they have flatlined.  Those guys were also able to build some big hospitals in under two weeks.  They are also a communist country, so the data we get from them is probably not the most open.  Their economy is also shut down.

Take a look at what happened in Iran or Italy.  

We can't control this. We can mitigate it. Our healthcare system has been expensive for a long time, and now its about to get overwhelmed. I hope they took those profits and stockpiled ventilators, masks, meds, and other things.  We are going to need it - and the poor damn doctors and nurses are getting their ass kicked.

I think the latest projections I saw are saying that our hospitals will be full in 9 days.  Lets hope that doesn't happen - as that means the mortality rate will go up.

Just remember - when you do things right, some people will think you've done nothing at all.  I doubt we are anywhere close to getting this right.  Lets hope we all think nothing was done at all (then it was done right).

2 hours ago, Del Scorcho said:

I cant imagine being that unfeeling.  6k have died worldwide and it's just beginning to spread through many other countries.  

Far, far more than that number die ever day of everything except COVID-19. 

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

10 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

The greatest generation weren’t great because they were nihilists. They were great because they recognized human life was worth sacrificing for.

They gave and risked their lives for liberty. Not the other way around.

9 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

I think this thread has clearly illustrated the schism in values between some of the members here.

"Hey grandpa! Thanks for saving the world from Hitler and Hirohito and helping build this nation into the greatest economic engine on the planet! :D For your reward, you get to go drown in your own gurgling septic pile of shit! " :rolleyes: 

They're not really around to witness your utter ignorance of history.

8 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

While what you say is true, I have interacted and "known" some posters on this board long enough to know them to be misogynistic and/or misanthropic nihilists with zero regard for life or those who enjoy theirs. 

"When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time." - Maya Angelou

Perhaps you should recognize not everyone shares your value for life at all costs. Guess we can solidly pencil you in as "pro-life".