Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

westfan

Corona Virus potential long term impact?

3 minutes ago, Pokes Forever said:

Alarmists vs deniers.....nobody wins and not one mind is changed.  Real question is when we will see the first post proclaiming the preseason conference and national championship from the Boise brigade!

I'm not an alarmist. I think people should take it seriously but not panic. Sometimes you have to point to serious things to get people to take it seriously.

And Boise should definitely win the MWC in football next year.

1 hour ago, CV147 said:

Who is "they"?

What "agenda"?

Is your local newspaper "they"? How about the Small County Times representing a population 800?

Are you even old enough to remember the swine flu pandemic?

I’m talking about the news media and they had an agenda to protect and advance. The swine flu killed 18k Americans and there wasn’t nearly this amount of hysteria. Why? 

As far as agenda goes. Let me ask you this, what piece of major legislation was passed after the swine flu pandemic? 

(Hint: Something-care)

51 minutes ago, BSUFan said:

The potential exists that I will win the lottery this weekend.

The total to date global figure for the past three months from the virus currently stands at just around 5,416 or about 60 a day.  A far cry lower than the thousands a day from automobiles accidents.

F*ck the stupid in some of these posts is legion....

COVID-19 has killed 278 people per day over the last week. You see, it's what us educated people call a "moving average." :rolleyes:

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

16 minutes ago, Pokes Forever said:

Alarmists vs deniers.....nobody wins and not one mind is changed.  Real question is when we will see the first post proclaiming the preseason conference and national championship from the Boise brigade!

Anyone who either is or claims to care about someone in their lives who is either over the age of 60 or has co-morbidity issues with heart disease, diabetes, hypertension, or chronic respiratory disease needs to wake the f*ck up and pay attention.

1 hour ago, Bob said:

Leftists love to ignore verifiable facts and data and instead use unproven academic models to project doom on all of us

This has nothing to do with politics Bob. It's about science and probability.

11 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

Are you even old enough to remember the swine flu pandemic?

I’m talking about the news media and they had an agenda to protect and advance. The swine flu killed 18k Americans and there wasn’t nearly this amount of hysteria. Why? 

As far as agenda goes. Let me ask you this, what piece of major legislation was passed after the swine flu pandemic? 

(Hint: Something-care)

Oh ffs... H1N1 (read: swine flu) only killed 18,000 Americans because it was only 1/5 as deadly as the seasonal flu, with a CFR of .02%. Multiply that by 100 and you'll get how many people in this country could die from COVID-19 with the same number of infected people.

Oh, hell, who am I kidding... let me give you a hand: 18,000*100 = 1,800,000. 

Maybe reallocate just some of that tin foil hat money for Purell? 

3 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Anyone who either is or claims to care about someone in their lives who is either over the age of 60 or has co-morbidity issues with heart disease, diabetes, hypertension, or chronic respiratory disease needs to wake the f*ck up and pay attention.

Fall into a couple of those categories myself..... spent last weekend at the state wrestling with 5000 of my closest friends I didn’t know I had.  Practice good hygiene and stay aware of social distancing as best I can.  Refuse to panic over the “what if” but understand that this is something new and can only hope that those responsible for keeping us safe are doing their best.  BTW I believe this thread is probably on the wrong board.

It SUCKS to be a CSU Ram!

12 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

This has nothing to do with politics Bob. It's about science and probability.

Not totally accurate. It’s both. 

The automobile accident red herring has to stop. The large number of people that die from automobile accidents occurs because the number of times people get into a vehicle every year is enormous. People catch the corona virus once and 2% of them die from it. If there was a 2% chance you’d die every time you rode in an automobile, it would be comparable and society would treat it as a crisis. I’ve driven 6 times today and if the death rate were in any way comparable I’d have an 88% chance of survival at the beginning of the day. Driving is not that dangerous.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

1 hour ago, BSUFan said:

The potential exists that I will win the lottery this weekend.

The total to date global figure for the past three months from the virus currently stands at just around 5,416 or about 60 a day.  A far cry lower than the thousands a day from automobiles accidents.

F*ck the stupid in some of these posts is legion....

It's actually closer to five months. The first diagnosis was in the 1st or 2nd week of November. It is now the 2nd week of March. That's a solid four months minimum. 

The velocity of exposure and mortality are simply not in line with the global panic that has ensued. 

Totally government, sports/celebrity and main stream media driven. Too many contagion type movies.

1 hour ago, TheSanDiegan said:

COVID-19 has killed 278 people per day over the last week. You see, it's what us educated people call a "moving average." :rolleyes:

Enjoying those deaths now aren't you.  You'll be dancing when the average reaches the number killed daily in automobiles. Now if you sustain the corona death average at or above the daily average of automobile deaths for the next ten years you'll be insufferable. 

Some how I just knew my time at Claremont was a waste of money. 

I'll continue to look at the glass half full. You can relish in your doom and gloom.

Alright let’s all bring it down a notch. There’s no need to get personal here with this.  We’re all in this together. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 hour ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

The automobile accident red herring has to stop. The large number of people that die from automobile accidents occurs because the number of times people get into a vehicle every year is enormous. People catch the corona virus once and 2% of them die from it. If there was a 2% chance you’d die every time you rode in an automobile, it would be comparable and society would treat it as a crisis. I’ve driven 6 times today and if the death rate were in any way comparable I’d have an 88% chance of survival at the beginning of the day. Driving is not that dangerous.

Current death rate is estimated @ .07%.  Reports also indicate there may be many more that have the virus that haven't been reported and haven't been tested which will drive that number even lower. 

Please let my cousin know your view on dangers of driving.  He would be very happy to hear it.

40 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Alright let’s all bring it down a notch. There’s no need to get personal here with this.  We’re all in this together. 

Speak for yourself. You like Reno. That's something I cannot co-exist with, I'm sorry.*

*Kidding, you can always buy some toilet paper from me at a discount, Mug.

20 minutes ago, BSUFan said:

Current death rate is estimated @ .07%.  Reports also indicate there may be many more that have the virus that haven't been reported and haven't been tested which will drive that number even lower.

Flu and covid fatalities are calculated the same way. How many people get the flu that aren't reported?

48 minutes ago, BSUFan said:

Not it is not. That would mean 7 out of every 10,000 people who get the disease die from it. That’s clearly not the case. The WHO put the death rate at 3.4% two days ago. Now unreported cases will push that number down, but even if it’s 1% that is serious with how contagious it is. If 30 million people catch it like they do the flu, that’s 300,000 deaths. That’s more dead Americans than in all of world war 2.

Please let my cousin know your view on dangers of driving.  He would be very happy to hear it.

I’m guessing he was in an accident so you think that makes math not matter. I’ll try anyway. Dear unfortunate cousin, there is some degree of danger than comes with any human behavior. Accidents happen and when the behavior is performed hundreds of billions of times a year, those accidents may make it seem that the behavior is more dangerous than it really is. It’s not. 

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.