Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

westfan

Corona Virus potential long term impact?

28 minutes ago, qwelish said:

Updated today you imbecilic troglodyte. 

F()ck you are stupid.

Really? Are you really such a petulant little clownmonkey that I have to point out - again - that you are demonstrably, categorically incorrect? :blink:

The graphs you're nuthugging show zero fatalities in Germany. As of today there are seven, and as of last Monday there were three

The last week COVID-19 has averaged more than 275 fatalities a day, about 500% more than the 56 per day reflected in those charts. So if that wall-o-data is updated as of today, than it's simply bad data. 

You truly must be one of the most ignorant posters on this entire board. You combine the Asberger's of young-ph with the intellectual load capacity of blewmules. F*ck I would be embarrassed if you were an Aztec.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

Let's tone it down a bit and stop with the insults.

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 hour ago, TheSanDiegan said:

You can't make a test kit for a pathogen that hasn't existed yet. :facepalm:

As far as shoring up vulnerabilities, hey - I have an idea... why doesn't the White House form a working group who's sole mission is to make sure we're ready to respond next time there's an unforeseen outbreak that could become a global pandemic and threaten both the global economy and our way of life? They could call it the "Pandemic Response Team."

Wait, what's that? We had one of those? And their very purpose was to shore up such vulnerabilities? But they were fired by Trump in 2018? :waiting:

Link

Test kits are essentially swabs, test kits take specimens from the upper and lower respiratory tracts. Then it’s sent to a lab to verify whether you have the illness or not. 

As for your other point, the pandemic response team won’t decrease our dependence on China. Likely would create more red tape to solve issues. Right now we’re fortunate things were acted on quickly unlike past pandemics. 

We’ll get through this and rebound in a major way. Always have. 

4 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Let's tone it down a bit and stop with the insults.

I appreciate the clean-up work given the importance of the topic, but if you're going to pull something as snazzy as "sentient menstrual blood fart" then surely you can pull the zero-value noise immediately above it (from UNLV's blewmules) too, no?

1 hour ago, CV147 said:

Take it seriously. If you're in the vulnerable age group (60+) or have health issues involving your lungs, heart, kidneys, or diabetes, stay away from large groups of people.

Why didn't the CDC or public health agencies advise that we shut down shit like this during swine flu? It isn't because of the media. It's because they know how it will affect those groups. It kills a good portion of them.

Yeah it is, actually. 

5 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

I appreciate the clean-up work given the importance of the topic, but if you're going to pull something as snazzy as "sentient menstrual blood fart" then surely you can pull the zero-value noise immediately above it (from UNLV's blewmules) too, no?

I didn't read it all so yeah I can

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Just now, Rosegreen said:

Yeah it is, actually. 

So the media is affecting the CDC, not the other way around?

I beg to differ.

Public health organizations are coming out with DOZENS of press releases on guidance and recommendations. Those are going from the government to the media.

1 minute ago, CV147 said:

So the media is affecting the CDC, not the other way around?

I beg to differ.

Public health organizations are coming out with DOZENS of press releases on guidance and recommendations. Those are going from the government to the media.

I’m referring to the swine flu era, the media absolutely influenced the cdc and other officials at the time. They downplayed it massively. 

They just wanted to further their agenda and are still doing it today. 

I’m referring to the swine flu era, the media absolutely influenced the cdc and other officials at the time. They downplayed it massively. 

They just wanted to further their agenda and are still doing it today. 

Who is "they"?

What "agenda"?

Is your local newspaper "they"? How about the Small County Times representing a population 800?

Test kits are essentially swabs, test kits take specimens from the upper and lower respiratory tracts. Then it’s sent to a lab to verify whether you have the illness or not. 

As for your other point, the pandemic response team won’t decrease our dependence on China. Likely would create more red tape to solve issues. Right now we’re fortunate things were acted on quickly unlike past pandemics. 

We’ll get through this and rebound in a major way. Always have. 

[sigh] No, a test kit is more than a "swab." :facepalm:

1. They have to draw blood, as they test either the blood itself, or the serum or plasma extracted from it.

2. Then they require reagents to extract the virus' RNA

3. Then they need to test it.

Now, I don't know why microbiologists require the genetic sequencing of a virus before they can test for it (hoping someone can step in here), but I think - think - it is because of the uniqueness of the antibodies our immune system produces. But regardless, they have to map the genome of the virus before they can test for it. 

And as mentioned, they can't sequence a genome until they have it

11 minutes ago, Bob said:

Leftists love to ignore verifiable facts and data and instead use unproven academic models to project doom on all of us

It's just crazy to me that nothing exists anymore that is politically neutral. It's always "us" vs "them" and everyone falls in line. It's so fecking stupid

5 minutes ago, CV147 said:

All who think the media is blowing this out of proportion, please go to your state's government health department website and check the press releases.

Did you even bother to read what you wrote before you hit the post button?

:huh:

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

6 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

What "society" is that, exactly? Planet Earth's? :blink: Because that's a global figure, not a national statistic.

Imagine a half-million people dying every day. For a year. That's the potential covid-19 has.

F*ck, the stupid in some of these posts is legion...

The potential exists that I will win the lottery this weekend.

The total to date global figure for the past three months from the virus currently stands at just around 5,416 or about 60 a day.  A far cry lower than the thousands a day from automobiles accidents.

F*ck the stupid in some of these posts is legion....