Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

westfan

Corona Virus potential long term impact?

At this point who really knows the duration this virus will take to stop spreading causing the suspensions? In the U.S does it have the potential wipe out all of MLB this year and stick around for football season? The PGA is still playing without fans present, but I doubt they will be by the Masters. Some will say  this virus won't last into the Summer and Fall but who who the heck really knows?.. It's probably time for me to break out my fishing gear.

It’s honestly so crazy. Only 3300 people have died worldwide. Most of those in China which is a country with 1.2 billion.

The flu, heart disease, traffic fatalities, domestic violence, etc kill way more. Why are we going crazy over this?

what am I missing?

1 hour ago, bigd said:

It’s honestly so crazy. Only 3300 people have died worldwide. Most of those in China which is a country with 1.2 billion.

The flu, heart disease, traffic fatalities, domestic violence, etc kill way more. Why are we going crazy over this?

what am I missing?

Everything

1 hour ago, bigd said:

what am I missing?

The goal is to not add to the 3,000 already dead, nor is the goal to wait it out until even more are dead before action is taken. The goal is to prevent an exponential growth in the death rate.

With ending large gatherings of people, the hope is containment and that this will end much sooner. It's just really bad timing for the Tournament.

With proper containment, who knows? This could be over in 2 weeks.

3 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

The goal is to not add to the 3,000 already dead, nor is the goal to wait it out until even more are dead before action is taken. The goal is to prevent an exponential growth in the death rate.

With ending large gatherings of people, the hope is containment and that this will end much sooner. It's just really bad timing for the Tournament.

With proper containment, who knows? This could be over in 2 weeks.

At what cost? What if it was over in six weeks with 1,000 dead? Was it worth people losing jobs, livelihoods, businesses shuttering, trillions lost in retirement savings and pension funds?

Like it or not, at some point we have to acuarialize individual lives and risks (insurance companies have been doing it for centuries) and determine which is the higher cost. Poverty kills more people than any other human condition.

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

This cold virus will be short lived.  Just like all of the others.  The impact is that fear is easier to influence people now a days with something that only has a fraction of infections, hospitalizations and deaths if previous viruses.

If the media hyped up the flu every year then no sports would be played at all.  

1 minute ago, Wyovanian said:

At what cost? What if it was over in six weeks with 1,000 dead? Was it worth people losing jobs, livelihoods, businesses shuttering, trillions lost in retirement savings and pension funds?

Like it or not, at some point we have to acuarialize individual lives and risks (insurance companies have been doing it for centuries) and determine which is the higher cost. Poverty kills more people than any other human condition.

That's a large "what if."

Money, livelihoods, the economy, most of that comes back in time. Lives do not.

Unlike poverty, we have the ability to prevent these deaths if acted upon quickly and decisively. Poverty is not something that there is a simple solution to and involves a degree of choice.

2 hours ago, bigd said:

what am I missing?

There is only 3300 dead because countries started shutting down entire cities, welding apartment buildings doors shut with the residents inside, canceling school for their children, closing borders, and the like. And that’s if you believe the Chinese governments official numbers, or the Iranian regime’s which has had ten high officials die. Had they continued whistling past the graveyard and acted normally, like with your examples, the graveyard would have been a lot bigger.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

7 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

the possible financial impact of this is terrifying until a vaccine is found

I would guess this will be over long before a vaccine is found. China is currently drawing down its medical response.

The danger is we get this thing contained, China drawing things down followed by a second outbreak as everyone else begins to calm down. Then you get a multi year problem like the Spanish Flu. This might not be the only March Madness we cancel.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

3 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

The danger is we get this thing contained, China drawing things down followed by a second outbreak as everyone else begins to calm down. Then you get a multi year problem like the Spanish Flu. This might not be the only March Madness we cancel.

Hopefully by the time that happens we would have a vaccine.

6 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

Hopefully by the time that happens we would have a vaccine.

All those years of defending big pharma on the OT board will be worth it.

I don't understand the logic of shutting down college sporting events, yet leaving public schools and many universities open for the students. It seems to me if they're going to shut down the sporting events then they not allow students to go to class.

1 minute ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

All those years of defending big pharma on the OT board will be worth it.

The latest seems to be something about researchers in Florida using gator blood or some shit. How even more awesome would it be if "Florida Man" ends a world-wide pandemic?