Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

madmartigan

Nathan Mensah: Any updates

It was pretty clear in the MWCT game SDSU misses Mensah's presence dearly. What's the percentage chance he's back in time for the NCAAT? 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

He was supposedly reevaluated by his doctor yesterday and rumor has it the results are expected to be made public this weekend.

Here's my take on that. It's now probable that the Aztecs will be the 2 seed in the West and I have little doubt that we'll win our first two games in Sacramento. I also have no doubt that Gonzaga will win their first two games in Sacto. So assuming we both win our first game at Staples Center - and no way will I predict that for SDSU since we've never won more than two games in the dance - then the teams would play each other. Having now seen the Zags several times this year, their front court is as good as there is this year. Therefore, without Nathan Mensah, playing Gonzaga would end SDSU's season.

Boom goes the dynamite.

2 hours ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

He was supposedly reevaluated by his doctor yesterday and rumor has it the results are expected to be made public this weekend.

Here's my take on that. It's now probable that the Aztecs will be the 2 seed in the West and I have little doubt that we'll win our first two games in Sacramento. I also have no doubt that Gonzaga will win their first two games in Sacto. So assuming we both win our first game at Staples Center - and no way will I predict that for SDSU since we've never won more than two games in the dance - then the teams would play each other. Having now seen the Zags several times this year, their front court is as good as there is this year. Therefore, without Nathan Mensah, playing Gonzaga would end SDSU's season.

I really hope he's healthy enough and gets cleared to play. Injuries suck. The Aztecs ceiling rises significantly with him in IMO. 

That said, as USU fans learned this season, it takes some time to get a guy back to full speed. It took Queta several weeks to trust his body and be at full strength. SDSU obviously won't have that luxury - hopefully Mensah doesn't take as long since he didn't break/tear anything.  

The article in the UT also mentioned that if he is cleared by his doctors, that he “might” still have to be cleared by the school’s office of risk management. With him, I like our chances to get to the 2nd weekend. Without him, I don’t have SGF’s confidence.

20 minutes ago, dshawfan said:

The article in the UT also mentioned that if he is cleared by his doctors, that he “might” still have to be cleared by the school’s office of risk management. With him, I like our chances to get to the 2nd weekend. Without him, I don’t have SGF’s confidence.

I wonder if al of the uncertainty associated with the Coronavirus will cause everyone involved with Mensah to take more precautions.

4 hours ago, mondego said:

I really hope he's healthy enough and gets cleared to play. Injuries suck. The Aztecs ceiling rises significantly with him in IMO. 

That said, as USU fans learned this season, it takes some time to get a guy back to full speed. It took Queta several weeks to trust his body and be at full strength. SDSU obviously won't have that luxury - hopefully Mensah doesn't take as long since he didn't break/tear anything.  

The difference is Nate didn't hurt a body part...and he's being running, shooting and no contact drilling...he's gone five on none in practice since he's been out...so he's ready to play...just hasn't gotten cleared:

The Aztecs seem confident he'll be cleared, he'd help defensively at the least, our rim protection is a issue (as is rebounding). He doesn't need to be nathan mensah of old but if he can be like 80% of what he played like this year he'd help. They've made it clear if he's cleared he'll basically backup wetzell and probably get in some lineups with yanni. I'd guess 15-20 MPG. This is of course assuming the tournament actually happens