Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quickdraw

UNLV Roster 2020 - 2021

4 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

Lastra was a booster at one time.....then he got upset & bailed out - Not sure what he's got as for inside information on anyone. 

I know, and he is so negative now. I was kind of surprised Isaacs actually stood up for the bball program.

18 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

I know, and he is so negative now. I was kind of surprised Isaacs actually stood up for the bball program.

Not sure what got under Lastras skin, but he went from hanger-on to negative pretty quck

We should start having more roster stability moving forward. Recruiting should also start ticking up once a foundation is set. That is what last year, somewhat and especially this year is all about along with a strong dose of culture. It’s about time.

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2020/jun/03/analysis-donavan-yap-coming-to-unlv-with-gunslinge/

Analysis: Donavan Yap coming to UNLV with gunslinger attitude

How you answer this question will go a long way toward determining how excited you’ll be about incoming recruit Donavan Yap. Okay, here goes:

Did you enjoy the Jovan Mooring experience?

If you answered “Yes” because you appreciated Mooring’s extended, extended range and his lack of a conscience when it came to taking big shots, then you’re going to like Yap. If you answered “No” because you weren’t a fan of Mooring’s tendency to shoot the Rebels out of games on nights when his touch went cold, then Yap may induce some unpleasant flashbacks.

I’m not a fan of the Mooring years not only because of him but also because of the lack of team play and discipline as a team. Those guys were lost most of the time when the game got tight or the opposing team made changes. Jovan was allowed to do what he did because the team wasn’t prepared to make changes and the staff didn’t have a clue on what changes to make or didn’t have players that would do what they were told by the staff. It was all a big free for all come game time. I don’t see that being allowed by this staff and I see the team being much better prepared for the things that happen during a game. If Yap sees himself as the next coming of Jovan Mooring I wouldn’t expect to see much of him or for many years in the future.

3 hours ago, quickdraw said:

Well, this article is interesting. I haven’t really spent any time yet thinking much about the squad as a whole. I hope the season actually happens.

https://lasvegassun.com//news/2020/jun/09/biggest-difference-for-runnin-rebels-in-2020-might/

The season will happen.  We will shoot at least 36.8% from three as a team.  David Jenkins and Moses Wood will shoot 40+% from three.  Moving the three point line back had a big effect on shooting.  Only half as many teams shot 37.0%+ from three last season as the season before.  The numbers will start to normalize over time as teams get used to the longer distance.

On 6/3/2020 at 2:37 PM, quickdraw said:

I’m not a fan of the Mooring years not only because of him but also because of the lack of team play and discipline as a team. Those guys were lost most of the time when the game got tight or the opposing team made changes. Jovan was allowed to do what he did because the team wasn’t prepared to make changes and the staff didn’t have a clue on what changes to make or didn’t have players that would do what they were told by the staff. It was all a big free for all come game time. I don’t see that being allowed by this staff and I see the team being much better prepared for the things that happen during a game. If Yap sees himself as the next coming of Jovan Mooring I wouldn’t expect to see much of him or for many years in the future.

Otzelberger is getting players who are unrefined.  There is a big gap between their ceiling and floor.  His ability to develop will be of the utmost importance.

On 5/28/2020 at 11:24 AM, UNLV2001 said:

Not sure what got under Lastras skin, but he went from hanger-on to negative pretty quck

I think his son was DOBO when Rice was HC, so he probably has some ill will towards that.

2 hours ago, Poster17 said:

I think his son was DOBO when Rice was HC, so he probably has some ill will towards that.

Mark Warkantien's daughter was Rice's DOBO, so it was probably a similar position on the staff.

That whole contingent became very alienated from UNLV, not just by the Rice firing, but then by Stacy Augmon not being hired as his replacement, and also by UNLV not pursuing George Karl with Augmon as his top assistant.

3 hours ago, BleedRebelRed said:

Mark Warkantien's daughter was Rice's DOBO, so it was probably a similar position on the staff.

That whole contingent became very alienated from UNLV, not just by the Rice firing, but then by Stacy Augmon not being hired as his replacement, and also by UNLV not pursuing George Karl with Augmon as his top assistant.

George Karl would’ve been a disaster.  My hope is that UNLV never hires a retread in men’s basketball going forward.

1 hour ago, ph90702 said:

George Karl would’ve been a disaster.  My hope is that UNLV never hires a retread in men’s basketball going forward.

You couldnt afford him anyway.