Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quickdraw

UNLV Roster 2020 - 2021

I read several reports this last season about Wood, one thing they all had in common was he was the best shooter on the team by a ways.  I hope that transfers into the game and hopefully he is at least servicable on the defensive side of the ball. Then add in the best duo in the MWC with Jenkins and Hamilton and you have three potential great scorers.

I have seen Nick Blake play a few times he will be solid and I think Reece Brown will surprise a lot of people.  We know we have a good player in Coleman, Not great but good,  I think Diong will have a better year than this past season because he will be surrounded by scorers and they will spread the floor and force other teams to open the floor with their defenses. From what i have heard of Cadia I think he will be a great back up to Diong.

Looks like TJO likes an eight man rotation and that is a prety good squad he has assembled.  This team has no reason not to be a top 2-3 team in the MWC and may even have an outside chance at a regular season title, but I think we are still a year away from that.

2 hours ago, Shaker said:

I read several reports this last season about Wood, one thing they all had in common was he was the best shooter on the team by a ways.  I hope that transfers into the game and hopefully he is at least servicable on the defensive side of the ball. Then add in the best duo in the MWC with Jenkins and Hamilton and you have three potential great scorers.

I have seen Nick Blake play a few times he will be solid and I think Reece Brown will surprise a lot of people.  We know we have a good player in Coleman, Not great but good,  I think Diong will have a better year than this past season because he will be surrounded by scorers and they will spread the floor and force other teams to open the floor with their defenses. From what i have heard of Cadia I think he will be a great back up to Diong.

Looks like TJO likes an eight man rotation and that is a prety good squad he has assembled.  This team has no reason not to be a top 2-3 team in the MWC and may even have an outside chance at a regular season title, but I think we are still a year away from that.

We tied for second place last year.  No reason to finish worse than second place this year.

The back court will be one of the best in the league with Coleman, Jenkins, and Hamilton.  How the front court develops will determine a lot of how successful UNLV will be.  Diong, if he continues to improve, could be a force.  How others step up, we'll have to wait and see.  Even with a lot of new faces, this team has a chance to compete for the league title.  Of course, that could be said of a lot of the MWC teams.

Diong was marginalized last year because of the early team issues with effort, team play and shooting consistency. A great deal of focus was placed on guard play and outside shooting. Another challenge that he faced was that inconsistency in outside shooting. Every opponent pulled back and choked up the paint in both offense and defense. Diong was almost always doubled or triple teamed. 

There are less unknowns this year with the leadership on the floor. Coleman, Hamilton and Jenkins all have at least 1 year with the staff and system that TJ wants to run. They all have proven the effort and attitude that they bring to the floor. They have all played together under this system in games or practices. The staff has had an opportunity to get to understand their capabilities also. 

The biggest challenge is this whole shutdown going on. That is a challenge for everyone but with so many new players coming in we are more in need than teams with less turnover. The good news is that we should have far less turnover in the future. 

NonCon schedule posted. It has been since the Rice era that we’ve seen a schedule like this. I like going up against tougher competition instead of playing down to chalk up worthless wins to pad a win/loss record that won’t mean anything come March.

https://lasvegassun.com//news/2020/may/13/unlv-basketball-announces-non-conference-schedule/

On 5/12/2020 at 5:20 PM, ph90702 said:

We tied for second place last year.  No reason to finish worse than second place this year.

A three way tie for second but a fourth seed in the tourney.  When I say we should finish second I mean we finish second and not have to deal with a tie break system that puts us at the bottom of the tie.  But your right there is no excuse for not being in the top part of the MWC.  SDSU will still be the team to beat, yes they lose Flynn but the have Che coming in and he is a very good player.  I think we finish closer to them record wise but I still think they take the MWC this year.  Utah St will be the biggest competition for second place they have a pretty good team coming in. I think we UNLV is there with those two teams as the top three in the MWC.  There is BSU, UNM, and UNR but I think they are 4-6 and not 1-3 level.  UNM has a couple good players coming in but as long as they have MM the 2nd coaching I don't think they will compete for the top of the MWC. BSU will be a little better than last year but won't have the overall talent to get in the top three but they will be competitive.  UNR as much as I hate to say it but got a really good coach in Alford but I think they are about the same level as this last season but UNLV and Utah St will both be better and will create a separation.

UNLV will have the best back court in the MWC with Coleman, Jenkins, and Hamilton.  But our front court will be middle of the pack and our depth will hurt us especially if we have to deal with injuries.  

I think Reece Brown will be good, Blake will be a stud.  Yap will be a very good player for UNLV in a couple years.  I don't know much about Lindsey but from what I hear he will be a good role player in a couple years.  I think Tillis is to slow and not athletic enough to ever get real minutes while at UNLV and even though Martinez is a four star from what I have seen of him is he is closer to a Beas Hamga and I have heard quite a few reports of attitude issues. Caleb Grill will be very good for UNLV unfortunately he will have to sit this year.

4 hours ago, Shaker said:

A three way tie for second but a fourth seed in the tourney.  When I say we should finish second I mean we finish second and not have to deal with a tie break system that puts us at the bottom of the tie.  But your right there is no excuse for not being in the top part of the MWC.  SDSU will still be the team to beat, yes they lose Flynn but the have Che coming in and he is a very good player.  I think we finish closer to them record wise but I still think they take the MWC this year.  Utah St will be the biggest competition for second place they have a pretty good team coming in. I think we UNLV is there with those two teams as the top three in the MWC.  There is BSU, UNM, and UNR but I think they are 4-6 and not 1-3 level.  UNM has a couple good players coming in but as long as they have MM the 2nd coaching I don't think they will compete for the top of the MWC. BSU will be a little better than last year but won't have the overall talent to get in the top three but they will be competitive.  UNR as much as I hate to say it but got a really good coach in Alford but I think they are about the same level as this last season but UNLV and Utah St will both be better and will create a separation.

UNLV will have the best back court in the MWC with Coleman, Jenkins, and Hamilton.  But our front court will be middle of the pack and our depth will hurt us especially if we have to deal with injuries.  

I think Reece Brown will be good, Blake will be a stud.  Yap will be a very good player for UNLV in a couple years.  I don't know much about Lindsey but from what I hear he will be a good role player in a couple years.  I think Tillis is to slow and not athletic enough to ever get real minutes while at UNLV and even though Martinez is a four star from what I have seen of him is he is closer to a Beas Hamga and I have heard quite a few reports of attitude issues. Caleb Grill will be very good for UNLV unfortunately he will have to sit this year.

UNLV should win the MW this year.  Del Cadia and Wood are very underrrated IMO.  Frontcourt will be solid.  Need to add another true center in 2021.

Hopefully, Otzelberger can land this guy:

https://247sports.com/Player/Alex-Tchikou-46083649/

2 hours ago, ph90702 said:

Nick Blake is a two and through talent.  We finally have a BDJ-McCaw where he has the strengths of both.

Sounds like a lock for MWC Freshman of the Year.

On 5/16/2020 at 2:07 PM, ph90702 said:

UNLV should win the MW this year.  Del Cadia and Wood are very underrrated IMO.  Frontcourt will be solid.  Need to add another true center in 2021.

Hopefully, Otzelberger can land this guy:

https://247sports.com/Player/Alex-Tchikou-46083649/

No doubt.

Super interested to see Moses play. I watched him — and his younger brother this past season — play against my son. Never in a million years would I have imaged Moses was capable of playing in the MWC.

14 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

Super interested to see Moses play. I watched him — and his younger brother this past season — play against my son. Never in a million years would I have imaged Moses was capable of playing in the MWC.

I have never seen him play so I can only say what I have read and heard about him.. Although I did not know he played this past season as he was sitting on UNLV's bench as a redshirt.  The year before he played for Tulane and he shot 37.3% from 3 and 78.4 from the charity stripe.  But he also only averaged shooting 1.6 three point atempts a game and 1.2 FT's a game.  But even with that I think by the time conference play comes around Brown will be starting and Wood will be a back up and when he plays he is probably a 3-4 offensive option depending on the line up. WIth that role in mind he doesnt have to be great for MWC play just servicable.  Anything better is just a feather in UNLV's cap.

59 minutes ago, Shaker said:

I have never seen him play so I can only say what I have read and heard about him.. Although I did not know he played this past season as he was sitting on UNLV's bench as a redshirt.  The year before he played for Tulane and he shot 37.3% from 3 and 78.4 from the charity stripe.  But he also only averaged shooting 1.6 three point atempts a game and 1.2 FT's a game.  But even with that I think by the time conference play comes around Brown will be starting and Wood will be a back up and when he plays he is probably a 3-4 offensive option depending on the line up. WIth that role in mind he doesnt have to be great for MWC play just servicable.  Anything better is just a feather in UNLV's cap.

If your coach wants him he must see something. He could be all MWC or a bust or anywhere in between. Let’s hope for a season. 

3 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

If your coach wants him he must see something. He could be all MWC or a bust or anywhere in between. Let’s hope for a season. 

He will start next year.  Reece Brown is raw and will require seasoning.