Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quickdraw

UNLV Roster 2020 - 2021

2 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Umm...not sure Daum is a great example. Where was he going to go?

Grad transfer to a P5.

7 hours ago, ph90702 said:

If you’re such a UNLV fan, why did you go elsewhere?

UNLV Lineup

PG - not as good as Marcus Shaver, Jr

SG - not as good as Devonaire Doutrive

SF - not as good as Emmanuel Akot

PF - not as good as Derrick Alston, Jr.

C - not as good as Mladen Armus

Bench - not as good as Rayj Dennis, Abu Kigab.

Have fun losing to Boise again next year.

22 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

UNLV Lineup

David Jenkins Jr is one of the top transfers in college basketball.  LSU recruited him when he transferred.

27 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

UNLV Lineup

Leon Rice- not as good as TJ Otzelberger.

8 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

UNLV Lineup

That’s quite a lineup. Is it too soon to predict that Boise will be undefeated next season?

The only guy I am really all that worried about losing from this year's team is Hamilton.  Dude blew up this year and proved he could be a force.  I think we have two things in our favor to keep him around.  First, he will come back as an unquestioned started all will probably get all the minutes he can handle.  Second, I believe he would have to sit a year if he transfers.  Sitting for a year is a tough pill to swallow for some kids.  If he comes back to UNLV and plays like he did this year, he may be able to work himself into the NBA draft.

Hardy would be a loss, but I think you can replace his on-court production with Jenkins.  I also think Jenkins has more of the "intangibles" than Hardy.  Even sitting on the bench he seemed to be a leader on this team.

I had high hopes for Antonio, but his game just didn't translate.  Wish him well on wherever he goes next.

Diong could actually benefit quite a bit by becoming the back up center.  Spending more time on the court against less talented players could help him focus on what he is good at, protecting the rim and dominating the boards.

4 hours ago, HoosierRebel said:

The only guy I am really all that worried about losing from this year's team is Hamilton.  Dude blew up this year and proved he could be a force.  I think we have two things in our favor to keep him around.  First, he will come back as an unquestioned started all will probably get all the minutes he can handle.  Second, I believe he would have to sit a year if he transfers.  Sitting for a year is a tough pill to swallow for some kids.  If he comes back to UNLV and plays like he did this year, he may be able to work himself into the NBA draft.

Hardy would be a loss, but I think you can replace his on-court production with Jenkins.  I also think Jenkins has more of the "intangibles" than Hardy.  Even sitting on the bench he seemed to be a leader on this team.

I had high hopes for Antonio, but his game just didn't translate.  Wish him well on wherever he goes next.

Diong could actually benefit quite a bit by becoming the back up center.  Spending more time on the court against less talented players could help him focus on what he is good at, protecting the rim and dominating the boards.

Mbacke Diong has a lot of untapped potential.  He can be a lot better than what he’s shown.  I think he will start at center next year with Jhaylon Martinez as the backup.

4 minutes ago, PlanetOfTheASD said:

Mbacke Diong has a lot of untapped potential.  He can be a lot better than what he’s shown.  I think he will start at center next year with Jhaylon Martinez as the backup.

If he starts next year it is because he has morphed into a completely new offensive player, which I don't see happening. He is a great rim protector, but doesn't offer much more,m especially on offense.

When we can get more consistent shooting we can spread the floor more. This will open up the paint and give him a little room to operate. He passes well and catches passes which helps as people try to double team him. Everything will be dependent on guys hitting shots, just like this year. When our shooting was on everything worked together.

1 hour ago, HoosierRebel said:

If he starts next year it is because he has morphed into a completely new offensive player, which I don't see happening. He is a great rim protector, but doesn't offer much more,m especially on offense.

Exactly, he is offensively a detriment in this scheme.  For this offense to reach its peek you need bigs who can pass and have a face up game, particularly from distance to open up driving lanes.  

Enjoy the energy he plays with but Diong needs to be a rotational player as opposed to seeing significant minutes.  Hoping to see a grad transfer big brought is who is a better fit.

2 hours ago, PlanetOfTheASD said:

As we saw in the MWC tourney, he just isn’t a fit in the system TJO is implementing. TJO worked the best he could with the players we got this year that we’re left over from an archaic offensive system from the year before. 

TJOs offense needs more shooters and Diong doesn’t have the range needed in this system That is not to say his offense is all about jacking up shots. If it was, Antonio would still be on the team. 

Its about spacing. It’s more about pressuring the defense by using speed, angles and rotations where the guards can attack the gaps. 

8 hours ago, HoosierRebel said:

Yeah, Jenkins should blow away Hardy's production.  Jenkins is a TJO system guy, Hardy most definitely was not. Jenkins and Hamilton will be a force and will likely average 40 points combined.

6 hours ago, PlanetOfTheASD said:

He can't stay on the floor. Too many fouls.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke