Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

soupslam1

NCAA Tournament to be Cancelled?

30 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

How will they determine if Aztec students are coloring inside the lines? 😁

Is that what they pay you the extra $600 of big bucks for? 

BFD.jpg

You'll notice that with the graphic, just like with basketball, we're a top and you're a bottom. :ph34r:

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

1 hour ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Expect the CSU system to follow with SDSU and SJSU leading the way already. 

Side note: Congrats SJSU. You were first in something for a change.

If/when depends upon the growth in the number of cases in each community. Some campuses are in counties with currently no cases like Stanislaus. Others like Fresno and Humboldt are in counties with only one current case.

Let’s see, we have the NCAA tournament, the NBA playoffs, and MLB all coming up in the next two weeks to a month. If many colleges are cancelling on campus classes, I can’t see fans attending the above events. And it’s very possible the events themselves might be cancelled. 

Hell, why not shut down all government and corporate offices and businesses? Stores have to stay open as people need to eat. 

1 hour ago, FresnoFacts said:

If/when depends upon the growth in the number of cases in each community. Some campuses are in counties with currently no cases like Stanislaus. Others like Fresno and Humboldt are in counties with only one current case.

I think the movement towards this we're seeing right now is as preventative in nature as it is reactive. We only have one case - and a travel-related one at that - identified in the entire county (population 3,000,000), yet the two largest universities have already adapted this change.. However, I've maintained since early Jan there were transmission vectors already present in the genpop, and that community spread is only a matter of time here as it is elsewhere.

From the governor of Washington:

"The problem is, is that we really need to as leaders make decisions looking forward to where this is going, rather than where it is today," Inslee said. "We might have 1,000 people infected today in Washington but this doubles every week in an epidemic like this, and so seven weeks from now we may have 60,000 people plus infected."

Link

The mayor of Seattle held a presser today and expressed the same concern that they believe they have as many as 1,000 cases that are yet to be detected. I would assume this is based on data modeling based on the reproductive number derived from both historical data and the outbreak they're dealing with firsthand. 

7 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

You'll notice that with the graphic, just like with basketball, we're a top and you're a bottom. :ph34r:

Nothing wrong with that. Sometimes I let @Spaztecs’s mom be on top. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

2 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Nothing wrong with that. Sometimes I let @Spaztecs’s mom be on top. 

She's always on top. 

She has her way with her boy toys. Not the other way around.

B)

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

14 minutes ago, namssa said:

The US went from 500 infected people to 1000 infected people in the last 36 hours so this is growing very fast.

That is actually slow growth. Hold on for the next week or 2.

I'm hoping the NCAA Tournament will go on as scheduled with fans, same with the NIT, but City and State policy regarding public gatherings seem to be changing on a daily basis  I can see the CBI and CIT being canceled.

2 hours ago, westfan said:

I'm hoping the NCAA Tournament will go on as scheduled with fans, same with the NIT, but City and State policy regarding public gatherings seem to be changing on a daily basis  I can see the CBI and CIT being canceled.

Washington has banned all gatherings of >250 people in the Seattle area. :(

The CDC has adapted a "one size does NOT fit all" approach, and is actively deferring to state and local health agencies to develop their own strategies and taking an advisory and support role.

I think this is a mistake. They should be actively aggregating data (they probably are, but not for the purpose of defining cohesive strategies to be deployed locally) to define best practices for containment and supporting coordinated containment efforts even while they are deferring to state/local agencies who are shifting away from containment to a more mitigation-focused approach.

If instead they are going to be more laissez faire in their response, they sure as hell better throw enough money at the state and local agencies to ensure they can afford the resources to do the heavy lifting.

As of now, containment in Seattle has failed. And it likely has in the Bay Area as well. But the patient count in SoCal is still low enough (one confirmed travel-related case in San Diego County) to maintain aggressive contact tracing and isolation strategies in order to contain it within the local communities. This is the proverbial stitch in time saving nine - it is imperative to do everything possible, both at the individual and institutional levels, to try to keep the patient count below the thresholds that would require a migration to a mitigation strategy.

NM reported its first cases today.

One in Bernalillo and two in Socorro county. Older folks...recent travel.

NM state high school BB tournament happening this week in the Pit and other venues. Usually a big draw. No change in procedure announced thus far.