Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

soupslam1

NCAA Tournament to be Cancelled?

About an hour ago next weeks Indian Wells tennis tournament was called off because of a single person infected with the Cvirus in the Coachella Valley, outside Los Angeles. That tournament is a big one on the tennis tour that attracts the best players in the world and thousands attend. 

Sacramento and Los Angeles regional NCAA basketball sites have far more people and potential exposure. Will the tournament be cancelled or go fan less? What about Major League Baseball that begins in a few weeks? 

No.

https://www.si.com/college/2020/03/08/march-madness-tournament-sites-coronavirus-outbreak

The advice we're getting from our experts is playing without fans is not called for," Gavitt said.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

8 minutes ago, thedude15 said:

Maybe they could play without fans (which would suck) but I doubt they would cancel it. I mean the tv networks won't pay they if they don't play the games. 

They could play without fans but still televise the games as that’s where most of the money comes from anyway. It would really be strange though.

26 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

They could play without fans but still televise the games as that’s where most of the money comes from anyway. It would really be strange though.

yep. That is why even if this gets bad I still think they show will go on just without any fans. Would take away from the event but I would still watch it on tv.

To me the more interesting questions is will any players get sick?  granted the odds of a prime athlete in their early twenties getting seriously sick is low but they could still get infected and placed on quarantined I mean just imagine Duke gets the illness and has to forfeit their round of 64 game vs some 15 or 14 seed. 

edit- to be clear I am not wishing the illness on any athlete or person. Furthermore these athletes are probably better equipped to handle the dx that almost anyone (ie young, good health, likely no comorbidities). So even if some did get sick they would be very very very very very very likely to be ok. 

30 minutes ago, jewelz4562000 said:

It's the flu.. Just don't go if you are old. Media making everyone freak out over nothing 

this is not a flu virus.  

1 hour ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

If this happens, declare war on China. A world war would be preferable to no March Madness.

But SDSU could claim a national championship, so that would be nice. They have the best record and that’s how it works, right?

37 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

But SDSU could claim a national championship, so that would be nice. They have the best record and that’s how it works, right?

So I've heard

2 hours ago, slappy said:

What is it then?

It's a corona virus. The common cold is a corona virus. This particular strain is called covid-19. It is virulent, but not particularly lethal. Less lethal than the flu. The biggest problem is that most people are complete idiots. The second biggest problem is it won't kill most of them.

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

6 hours ago, Wyovanian said:

It's a corona virus. The common cold is a corona virus. This particular strain is called covid-19. It is virulent, but not particularly lethal. Less lethal than the flu. The biggest problem is that most people are complete idiots. The second biggest problem is it won't kill most of them.

I’ve read they estimate the death rate right now at 3.6 percent. So if say 20 million people in the US contract the virus that a pretty significant number of deaths. Am I looking at this wrong?

Well,  In a couple of days, i have to fly through Seattle, on my way to work in Alaska. Should I try to reroute away from Seattle? I hear its a ghost town anymore. Not many people getting out and about there. Ive heard from this from a nephew, and  friends that live there.

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

8 hours ago, Wyovanian said:

Patently false. Absolute bullshit. 

BTW, a 1976 Honda Civic and a 2020 Maybach are both "just" cars. 

But yes, most people are complete idiots. I agree with that point wholeheartedly.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg