Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Castle Ram

MWC Football championship should be in Vegas

I don't understand the argument against the game being in a predetermined site.

Everyone knows the bb tourney is in Vegas and the fans fill up the T&M. Why wouldn't they grab Tix and a flight the moment they clinch the division ?

Vegas works for this conference. It is centrally located and fans enjoy the milder weather as well as an excuse to do Vegas.

I would be down with the CCG in Allegiant. Beats the hell out of any other stadium north of there.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

3 hours ago, Dimwhit said:

We may not have amazing attendance currently for the Championship Games, but if it moves to a neutral site, it will be much worse.

This.

The point of playing at a home site is to actually get a decent crowd. You play in Vegas good luck getting any crowd. Sure it might be "fairer" to just play in Vegas but the game would suffer. Many years there is clearly a better team anyways (ie they deserve to have the home crowd anyways). In 2013/14/19 one team was clearly better 15/16/17/18 a neutral site game would be fairer. 

A basketball tourney is slightly different.  Every team knows they are going and it is a 4 day tournament so much easier to plan an actual vacation around it.  

59 minutes ago, thedude15 said:

The point of playing at a home site is to actually get a decent crowd. You play in Vegas good luck getting any crowd. Sure it might be "fairer" to just play in Vegas but the game would suffer. Many years there is clearly a better team anyways (ie they deserve to have the home crowd anyways). In 2013/14/19 one team was clearly better 15/16/17/18 a neutral site game would be fairer. 

I don't even care how they decide the host. I get why they want the highest ranked team, but I'm sure there are other ways to determine the host. But definitely not neutral site.

Edit: Actually, I forgot it's no longer the highest ranked team but best conference record. Also a good way to determine the host.

Stuck playing in Lower Nevada for Basketball- why FB?

Come to SD- better weather, Women with Teeth and dressed (keeps out the FresTuckians) and lots of room. Plus, its San Diego...

35 minutes ago, Rev McQuervo said:

Come to SD- better weather, Women with Teeth and dressed (keeps out the FresTuckians) and lots of room. Plus, its San Diego...

Honestly I would 100% pick SD if they had a neutral site venue for the football championship 

-Being a western fan (Fresno) I would never have to worry about my team playing "on the road" for the conference champ game 

-Living in so cal if would be a nice 2 hour drive (assuming I leave at a time to avoid rush hour) to the game. Honestly I  might considering going to the game even if Fresno isn't playing. Could easily make a day trip out of it and have a total cost of $100 ($40 for gas, guessing $20 for the ticket, $20 for parking, and $20 for food) could make a couple day trip out of it if Fresno is in game (mainly cause I would wanna drink during the game lol). 

-Already spend 4 days in Vegas for the basketball tournament. I do enjoy it but honestly 4 days in Vegas is enough for the year. 

2 hours ago, Rev McQuervo said:

This

Americans Mayor

On 3/7/2020 at 8:45 PM, Spaztecs said:

I don't understand the argument against the game being in a predetermined site.

Everyone knows the bb tourney is in Vegas and the fans fill up the T&M. Why wouldn't they grab Tix and a flight the moment they clinch the division ?

Vegas works for this conference. It is centrally located and fans enjoy the milder weather as well as an excuse to do Vegas.

I would be down with the CCG in Allegiant. Beats the hell out of any other stadium north of there.

Why Vegas works for BB tourney but not necessarily championship game:

- All teams are included every year in bb, only two in football

- A lot more seats to fill in FB

- Additional cost and/or reduction in revenue to the teams/conference for using the neutral site

13 hours ago, Pelado said:

Why Vegas works for BB tourney but not necessarily championship game:

- All teams are included every year in bb, only two in football

- A lot more seats to fill in FB

- Additional cost and/or reduction in revenue to the teams/conference for using the neutral site

While those are accurate points, people still know the CCG will be in Vegas and Boise fans can pre book anyway.

Americans Mayor

In two years the Pac 12 Championship game probablymoves to Los Angeles.  

Originally the intention of the Pac 12 conference was to play the championship game in LA this year but an agreement couldn't be worked out.

The Pac 12 agreed to play in Las Vegas for just two years (2020 and 2021) so the MW championship could start being played in 2022.  https://pac-12.com/article/2019/07/24/pac-12-football-championship-game-be-hosted-one-nfls-newest-venues-las-vegas-2020 

Even if the Pac 12 keeps their game in Las Vegas, there can be a championship played Friday, a championship played Saturday game and a Raiders home game on Sunday.

I would definitely try to schedule a vacation that weekend, if possible.