Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BestintheWest

UNLV BBALL

1 hour ago, 4UNLV said:

Yeah, he’s graduating, he wouldn’t need to. It would just be a way to play with his brother. 

Im pretty sure his brother is a 2021 recruit so he wouldn't play with him if he moves anyway. I guess he can decide to sit out then play with his brother.

2 hours ago, PlanetOfTheASD said:

Overrecruiting is part of the business.  Jonah Antonio, Jay Green, etc. are how you get fired.

Fair, but if I was a player, I'd never want to go to a coach who overrecruits the moment you hit the freshman wall.

7 hours ago, ph90702 said:

If you’re such a UNLV fan, why did you go elsewhere?

8 hours ago, Yellow Evan said:

My biggest concern headed into next season is that too much player turnover will turn to bite us and lead us to a slower start than many would like. I really like how we played down the stretch last year and was a welcome relief but it still took a loss to Pacific at home in late December for us to get our act together. TJO doesn't have a proven track record with really exceeding expectations aside from last year (I'd say he met them at SDSU in balance, although there's striking similarities to his first season at both stops). Pending how the next few weeks shape up, we for sure could contend for the postseason and the MWC title, but to expect us to go to the tourney and/or be ranked is set to be let down. I also don't really like how TJO over recruited. The only players on the roster that is true dead space is Demeble though I'm not the biggest fan of Tilman either. Ideally we have 5-6 new players next seasons and 2-3 of those redshirt. 

Other than that, all aboard the TJ train. Yesterday it occurred to me I was actually sad that the UNLV season was over and I'm actually going to miss watching them. Haven't felt that feeling in the program since 2013 or earlier.

Certainly some positive take aways from the season, record aside.  In particular it appears the program has a head coach who is willing to go the extra mile to install discipline and hold players accountable if he feels they are not meeting expectations.

Was also nice to see the program playing its best basketball at seasons end for the first time in a good while.

That said, the one major disappointment is once again going through another significant roster reconstruction.  Complained about it during Rice’s time, Marvin’s stay so will maintain consistent on the importance of seeing a core group of players stick around and grow together.

While I understand it as the first class was thrown together quickly, hopefully this incoming large class is the last time we will see this kind of roster overall for a while.  Given these are not a bunch of 5 star, top 50 types, imperative for both they and the program's sake they stick around and the staff coaches them up as time moves forward.

Whole heartedly agree about how all the new faces could make for a rocky beginning in the OOC next season.  The summer trip will help to an extent but no substitute for going against D-1 competition.  For the talk from some of an NCAA appearance, a lackluster record in the OOC in a league like the MWC will make an at large unlikely.

Personally still not looking at post season expectations until season 3, unless the unexpected occurs and Jenkins, Hardy and Hamilton are on the roster  and they gel together.  

14 minutes ago, Ernie Baer said:

Certainly some positive take aways from the season, record aside.  In particular it appears the program has a head coach who is willing to go the extra mile to install discipline and hold players accountable if he feels they are not meeting expectations.

Was also nice to see the program playing its best basketball at seasons end for the first time in a good while.

That said, the one major disappointment is once again going through another significant roster reconstruction.  Complained about it during Rice’s time, Marvin’s stay so will maintain consistent on the importance of seeing a core group of players stick around and grow together.

While I understand it as the first class was thrown together quickly, hopefully this incoming large class is the last time we will see this kind of roster overall for a while.  Given these are not a bunch of 5 star, top 50 types, imperative for both they and the program's sake they stick around and the staff coaches them up as time moves forward.

Whole heartedly agree about how all the new faces could make for a rocky beginning in the OOC next season.  The summer trip will help to an extent but no substitute for going against D-1 competition.  For the talk from some of an NCAA appearance, a lackluster record in the OOC in a league like the MWC will make an at large unlikely.

Personally still not looking at post season expectations until season 3, unless the unexpected occurs and Jenkins, Hardy and Hamilton are on the roster  and they gel together.  

The turnover is necessary.  UNLV isn’t going to win big with Antonio, Green, Dembele, etc.

Its about Otzelberger getting his guys.

You guys can lie about predicted win totals (I predicted between 14-16 wins spot on) all you want, and circle jerk each other and dedicate books to lying about my positions. Have fun with that.

But I dont see anyone predicting s16, rankings, ncaas. Not sure getting housed by byu and pacific is overachieving in every way, but hey, maybe that thing called objectivity is a lost art? Who knows. Remember when no credit was given for finishing with 11 mw wins? That was sooo long ago I know.

No one even knows what the roster will look like at this point. All I did is voice uncertainty about next season, but you guys are such lame haters that just making shit up is typical. I think 20 wins give or take next season, but 20 wins no ncaa or rankings is not a good season for UNLV. 

I have yet to see anyone outside of you know who predict ncaa next season. This person also seems to be the new voice of reason, which is hilarious.

13 hours ago, qwelish said:

You guys can lie about predicted win totals (I predicted between 14-16 wins spot on) all you want, and circle jerk each other and dedicate books to lying about my positions. Have fun with that.

But I dont see anyone predicting s16, rankings, ncaas. Not sure getting housed by byu and pacific is overachieving in every way, but hey, maybe that thing called objectivity is a lost art? Who knows. Remember when no credit was given for finishing with 11 mw wins? That was sooo long ago I know.

No one even knows what the roster will look like at this point. All I did is voice uncertainty about next season, but you guys are such lame haters that just making shit up is typical. I think 20 wins give or take next season, but 20 wins no ncaa or rankings is not a good season for UNLV. 

I have yet to see anyone outside of you know who predict ncaa next season. This person also seems to be the new voice of reason, which is hilarious.

Dude, how long are you going to play the martyr? I only lurk the board and it is already tiresome to me.

13 hours ago, PlanetOfTheASD said:

The turnover is necessary.  UNLV isn’t going to win big with Antonio, Green, Dembele, etc.

I guess what confuses me is that Antonio was one of his guys. I mean every coach is entitled to a recruiting miss, but this one was a head scratcher.

1 hour ago, SharkTanked said:

I guess what confuses me is that Antonio was one of his guys. I mean every coach is entitled to a recruiting miss, but this one was a head scratcher.

This could also be Jonah"s choice for a variety of reasons. That is the thing about recruiting and transfers, there are multitudes of reasons from both for making decisions but no fault needs to assigned. Yeah I agree head scratcher but oh well.

I wish Jonah the best of luck and congratulations on your graduation and degree.

2 hours ago, SharkTanked said:

Antonio was the first TJO commit............and a supposed 3 pt shooter he fit the bill for TJO's game plan .........but also last season TJO was probably also grabbing anyone with any skills just to fill out the roster.

Still think we are two seasons out from seeing the real TJO operation ..........this year probably was a glimpse of how a cobbled together roster finally showed promise in MWC play..........but Antonio, EML, Tillman were all last minute gets to fill the roster.

If TJO's incoming 20-21 class sticks around and is added to with the 21-22 & 22-23 classes then the program is all TJO's and we should know where things are - TJO doesn't seem to be one to rely on landing the superstar recruits, maybe that changes while he's at UNLV...admittedly South Dakota or wherever he we prior wasn't going to land high ranked recruits & maybe UNLV ups his recruiting game where rankings are concerned, but still TJO might be a system guy and he needs his guys to get in and stay in the program to get to full potential 

Still UNLV did better in the MWC than I was thinking 

1 hour ago, UNLV2001 said:

Antonio was the first TJO commit............and a supposed 3 pt shooter he fit the bill for TJO's game plan .........but also last season TJO was probably also grabbing anyone with any skills just to fill out the roster.

Still think we are two seasons out from seeing the real TJO operation ..........this year probably was a glimpse of how a cobbled together roster finally showed promise in MWC play..........but Antonio, EML, Tillman were all last minute gets to fill the roster.

If TJO's incoming 20-21 class sticks around and is added to with the 21-22 & 22-23 classes then the program is all TJO's and we should know where things are - TJO doesn't seem to be one to rely on landing the superstar recruits, maybe that changes while he's at UNLV...admittedly South Dakota or wherever he we prior wasn't going to land high ranked recruits & maybe UNLV ups his recruiting game where rankings are concerned, but still TJO might be a system guy and he needs his guys to get in and stay in the program to get to full potential 

Still UNLV did better in the MWC than I was thinking 

It will take Otzelberger at least until his third season to fully see his style of play.  However, they should, at a minimum, make the NIT next year.  Anything short of an NIT is a disappointment IMO.

Hopefully, they don’t play my Tigers! Geaux Tigers!

1 minute ago, PlanetOfTheASD said:

Jonah Antonio was first recruited by Otzelberger at South Dakota State.  That’s the level where Antonio belongs TBH.  He had trouble shooting due to the competition.  He will be a knockdown shooter at a lower level.

Agree with this assessment - Antonio more suited to Big Sky Conference than MWC 

19 hours ago, PlanetOfTheASD said:

Will be interesting to see how the turnover pans out over time. If this becomes a core group that leads the program into NCAA appearances, strong MWC finishes, then obviously worth it.  

Specific to success for next season though it raises valid questions getting this number of new players to gel, and for any at-large bid, gel very quickly.  

On 3/11/2020 at 1:58 PM, PlanetOfTheASD said:

Jonah Antonio was first recruited by Otzelberger at South Dakota State.  That’s the level where Antonio belongs TBH.  He had trouble shooting due to the competition.  He will be a knockdown shooter at a lower level.

Funny thing was I said that Totz seemed to be recruiting to S Dak while here with guys like Shibel and Antonio. There was also some terrible player he was looking at out of some midwest program. I forget the guys name, but he was a stiff. 

I guess when I say things like that its perceived as hating on Totz, but im not. Its just true. No doubt those are really good players in the summit. The mw is nationally competitive at the top, summit like at the bottom. 

This is also why I really need to see how guys like Moses and Jenkins pan out. Also guys like Yap, Lindsey, Reece even Martinez. 

I want to see what Totz ceiling is with his guys. I could easily see TJO ending up with Blake or Reece at center and playing Jhaylon

only spot minutes until he transfers. I hope not, but just based on the league and TJs style of coaching, I just wouldnt be shocked. 

Recruiting and roster construction are a big part of the equation in college basketball. TJ has done a lot of recruiting in just one calendar year.

Does it equate to an immediate big time program, 35ish level program, rankings, mw championships, what exactly?

This upcoming season will tell us a lot.

On 3/11/2020 at 9:33 AM, HoosierRebel said:

Dude, how long are you going to play the martyr? I only lurk the board and it is already tiresome to me.

Can you let me know what I said that was inaccurate? Just defending myself from liars and know nothings.

I 100% guarantee you will not reply with something exact. Thats why you had to use a vague term like, "play the martyr". 

Because I am defending myself from fallacious attacks from people who I have already destroyed with FACTS & INFORMATION. Not bs l, "play the martyr"...

Claims to be a lurker but has almost 3,000 posts.... yeah, okay! 

You guys just lie & lie & lie....

20200319_090720.jpg