Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BestintheWest

UNLV BBALL

Coach Otz squeezed all the talent he could out of this squad. I think it's safe to say we're in good hands.

Tough finish for Elijah. To go down with another injury after this team was killin it with his leadership these last 5 games.

On to the David Jenkins Jr. era.

I'm already locking in my Maui trip. This team is gonna be legit next season.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

Good start to a new era. My expectations have been met and exceeded. I just wanted to see real D1 B-ball return to UNLV. I’m excited to see what the future holds. It is encouraging that we could take a 1st year squad and staff an finish in 2nd place in the MWC. Crazy but fun year.

Just now, quickdraw said:

Good start to a new era. My expectations have been met and exceeded. I just wanted to see real D1 B-ball return to UNLV. I’m excited to see what the future holds. It is encouraging that we could take a 1st year squad and staff an finish in 2nd place in the MWC. Crazy but fun year.

We should make the NCAA's as a 7-9 seed next year.

1 hour ago, BestintheWest said:

Coach Otz squeezed all the talent he could out of this squad. I think it's safe to say we're in good hands.

Tough finish for Elijah. To go down with another injury after this team was killin it with his leadership these last 5 games.

On to the David Jenkins Jr. era.

I'm already locking in my Maui trip. This team is gonna be legit next season.

Didn't realize he was a senior. That does suck. As hard as he's been ballin the last few weeks, he deserved more than to have his season go out with a whimper like that, especially in light of how much you guys obviously missed his presence today.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

1 hour ago, quickdraw said:

Huh? 

37 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Didn't realize he was a senior. That does suck. As hard as he's been ballin the last few weeks, he deserved more than to have his season go out with a whimper like that, especially in light of how much you guys obviously missed his presence today.

At the end of the game we saw him just standing down at the end of the bench, he looked so sad. 

10 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

At the end of the game we saw him just standing down at the end of the bench, he looked so sad. 

Dude gave his all to this team for one season. Best PG we had since Kruger.

29 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

Improved three point shooting and finding front court players who can fit Otzelberger’s system (pass/shoot from distance) are a must.   

Perhaps in time but I don’t see any of the bigs coming in being the answer for next season….a quality grad transfer that fits would certainly help.

I would add while the defense improved some later in the season (primarily due to Mitrou-Long who is finished) there is still room for improvement.   

194th in defensive efficiency, 213th against the three point shot, 263rd in turnovers generated.  

Offensively, better ball movement.  222nd in the country in assists per field goal made.  Too much one on one play.  Also, foul shooting (226th).  

Going to be interesting to see if they end up in any post season tournaments.  If they don’t that probably tells you not many of these guys are going to return and Otzelberger sees the extra practice time as basically being a waste.

UNLV has a coach. The MWC needs vegas to be good again. I think they will be a factor again next year.

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

26 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

UCLA and CAL come to Vegas next season. Maui has UNC, Davidson, Providence, Alabama, Stanford and Texas.

I think we might have an away at KState. Not sure if BYU is still going.

I think its safe to say the schedule is gonna be pretty good.

As long as Hardy and Hamilton don't bounce I think we'll be alright.

Hamilton and Coleman gotta be locks. I know people speculate about Hardy playing with his brother, but I dunno about all that.

Jenkins will stretch the floor out a ton. He made 112 3's last season at 46%. Absolute insane numbers.

Jazz Johnson made 88 for 37% and Jessup made 92 at 40% for reference.

Coleman, Hardy, Hamilton and Jenkins is a deadly ass combo.

Donovan Yap and Nick Blake might be able to fight for some serious time early.

Frontcourt a few players coming in to compete. All stretch 5 potential for small ball.

I'm kinda diggin the JC product we have coming in and I know Coach Otz was on this dude for awhile.

He shoots 37% from 3 and 83% from the FT line. Can rebound it up too...he's averaging just under 10 boards. Looks like he will fit in the offensive flow real nice.

All is well, For Rice is gone.