Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fbpack

NBA draft big board malachi flynn#29 Jalen Harris#35

46 minutes ago, fbpack said:

I hope not I think Nevada takes a massive step back without harris next year

It's going to take 3-4 seasons to recover from the Muss Mess.

No Harris, Johnson, Drew. Zouzoua or Reyes. probably 90%+ of your offense

Hymes, Robinson, Washington, Milling and Meeks is what remains.

BUT you have Alford. He's already managed to at least get the squad in class balance somewhat but he did it with kids who really aren't competitive at this level. Washington and Hymes aren't prototypical Alford post guys, who likes to bang and clog the middle with big bodies. Robinson is closer to an Alford guy but he looks soft to me. Hopefully he'll mature.  I don't think you can expect him to reach on grad transfers because of what that does to team makeup.  He may reach for a undergrad transfer or two but they won't help you next year.  You'll play with what you have and hopefully some talented freshmen to fill the holes at guard.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

1 hour ago, fbpack said:

I hope not I think Nevada takes a massive step back without harris next year

Yeah. Without Harris Nevada would be lucky to win 15 games.

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

I should add that we'll have our challenges  too.  KJ, Flynn and Wetzell are a big part of our game.

We've got some guards coming in that are doing some nice things in High School right now but who knows if that translates. We'll have Seiko and Pulliam. None of these guys can be relied upon to be a Flynn level contributer. 

J Mensah looks to be a bench guy and N. Mensah can't stay on the floor. We have a kid coming in from Philly (Che Evans) that can play PF/SF with Matt.  We'll need to find help down low which is harder to find than guard help.

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

32 minutes ago, battle.borne said:

Yeah. Without Harris Nevada would be lucky to win 15 games.

I think he's gone no matter what.  Guy wants to play for money.  He can do that in G league, overseas or the NBA.  There's no benefit for him to come back next year to a squad that will be less competitive than it is this year.

-Richard Feynman

-P.J. O’Rourke

3 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

chef cook GIF by Hell's Kitchen

No Alston...

That was never in the cards.

-Richard Feynman

-P.J. O’Rourke

1 hour ago, SDSUfan said:

BUT you have Alford. He's already managed to at least get the squad in class balance somewhat but he did it with kids who really aren't competitive at this level. Washington and Hymes aren't prototypical Alford post guys, who likes to bang and clog the middle with big bodies. Robinson is closer to an Alford guy but he looks soft to me. Hopefully he'll mature.  I don't think you can expect him to reach on grad transfers because of what that does to team makeup.  He may reach for a undergrad transfer or two but they won't help you next year.  You'll play with what you have and hopefully some talented freshmen to fill the holes at guard.

Nevada also has Desmond Cambridge coming on board next season.  He is a 6'4 guard who averaged 16 points a game over 2 years at Brown.

2 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Alston (6'-9") is averaging 17.6 ppg, 5 rpg, and 3.1 ast. (35% from 3pt)

Flynn (6'-1) is averaging 17.6 ppg, 4.4 rpg, and 5.1 ast. (37% from 3pt)

Except Flynn can play defense and shoot well. And although Flynn is under sized at guard, Alston is severely under weight at the small forward spot, and lacks the handle to play guard. 

3 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Alston (6'-9") is averaging 17.6 ppg, 5 rpg, and 3.1 ast. (35% from 3pt)

Flynn (6'-1) is averaging 17.6 ppg, 4.4 rpg, and 5.1 ast. (37% from 3pt)

NBA doesn't draft on college stats.  He's not big enough to be a PF.  Not quick enough to be a SF. Can't handle the ball well enough to be a 6'9" guard in the NBA .  He'd get thrown around like a rag doll.  He's a good, not great, college player. In a year or two that may change. Right now he looks more like a HS kid than a NBA man.  Don't know if you've ever been to an NBA game or seen NBA players up close. They're practically a different species in terms of their sheer size and athleticism.  Being tall and somewhat talented gets you to college.  There are only 30-40 slots open in the NBA on a yearly basis.  If you're not one of the top 30-40 basketball players in the world not currently in the league, your chances are slim..

-Richard Feynman

-P.J. O’Rourke

3 hours ago, nvspuds said:

Nevada also has Desmond Cambridge coming on board next season.  He is a 6'4 guard who averaged 16 points a game over 2 years at Brown.

don't know him.  Hope he's good.

-Richard Feynman

-P.J. O’Rourke

4 hours ago, SDSUfan said:

I think he's gone no matter what.  Guy wants to play for money.  He can do that in G league, overseas or the NBA.  There's no benefit for him to come back next year to a squad that will be less competitive than it is this year.

DO you speak to Harris often?

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

52 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

don't know him.  Hope he's good.

He was the leading scorer for Brown for 2 seasons.  He was the IVY League Freshman of the year.  Originally recruited by Mussleman.  Had offers from P5 schools.  Has been sitting out this season.  We won't know for sure until next season but he is reportedly very good.  Insane hops.  He wasn't a particularly proficient shooter at Brown but Alford is good a coaching guards.  I would guess he will be a starter from day 1

5 hours ago, SDSUfan said:

They'll be fine. Harris would be a huge loss. But Washington and Cambridge are both very good. Meeks is a good player, offensively, and I expect him to take a leap forward next year. I wouldn't be shocked to see Hymes and Milling transfer, though. I'm not convinced either are good enough for this level. If that happens, I would be surprised if Alford didn't grab a grad transfer or two to help plug in some gaps. If Harris comes back, they'll be much more balanced than this year. 

Hymes has already used his redshirt..I don't think he will transfer.  I actually think that even with Harris returning the team may take a step back.  If everybody who can return does return the roster will have 5 freshmen, 4 sophs 2 juniors and one senior.  That is a very young roster.

However, I do expect Alford to grab a grad transfer with his one open scholarship.