Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

misplacedcowboy

Is Hawaii preparing to ditch the MW and go independent?

I like playing Hawaii but if Hawaii ever decides to go indy for football, they would probably be ok asuming they can get games once conference games start. As far as scheduling MWC schools for OOC games, who really cares? BYU seems to have managed to secure MWC games after leaving the MWC. 

Speaking of Pac12 options @#1Stunner , UCSD is ending their D2 era with national title aspirations and will begin their D1 era next year by hosting Cal.

:hmmm:

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/sports-columnists/story/2020-02-28/university-cal-san-diego-ucsd-mens-basketball-nationally-ranked-christian-oshita-mikey-howell-eric-olen

14 hours ago, Ibanez said:

K. What makes you think that? What makes you think SJSU is staying?  

Suds and Blase St will leave bringing the MW to 10. NCAA will deny a waiver for a CCG and the MW will have to add the NewMags and Weber State to make 12.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

Guest #1Stunner
3 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

Speaking of Pac12 options @#1Stunner , UCSD is ending their D2 era with national title aspirations and will begin their D1 era next year by hosting Cal.

:hmmm:

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/sports-columnists/story/2020-02-28/university-cal-san-diego-ucsd-mens-basketball-nationally-ranked-christian-oshita-mikey-howell-eric-olen

trip

44 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

I guess they could park their Olympics in the Big12 (would be too far geographically, though).

WCC is too small for USC.

Is the WCC though?  I could maybe see why some of the schools wouldn't want to compete with USC's budget, but the prestige to the conference would be big.  

Besides men's basketball, would the WCC be that much of a downgrade in competition?  The issue would be USC losing all of their rivals and playing the smaller arenas.  I don't know if USC's ego could take that.  

Basketball though with Gonzaga, BYU, and St. Mary's wouldn't be terrible.  Not sure how it would affect recruiting either.  

Guest #1Stunner
3 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

Is the WCC though?  I could maybe see why some of the schools wouldn't want to compete with USC's budget, but the prestige to the conference would be big.  

Besides men's basketball, would the WCC be that much of a downgrade in competition?  The issue would be USC losing all of their rivals and playing the smaller arenas.  I don't know if USC's ego could take that.  

Basketball though with Gonzaga, BYU, and St. Mary's wouldn't be terrible.  Not sure how it would affect recruiting either.  

I agree that the WCC is absolutely fine for most sports:  Women's Soccer, Women's Volleyball, Baseball, Softball, etc---the WCC is actually pretty strong in these sports.   And they don't matter much to fans, anyway.

Basketball is the big deal.  It would be like a big downgrade going from the PAC12 to the WCC.  Gonzage and BYU probably feel as good as any PAC12 school.  Saint Mary's is in a small venue, but good fan support.  But the other 7 schools have pretty bad fan support, and some play in high school caliber facilities (Pepperdine and LMU).

Not sure if USC fans would get over that. 

24 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

trip

You left out the part about them installing all new benches and stadium-style seats, an enlarged sky box, a 300-square foot broadcast studio, and other LED goodies.  It says something that their first home game will be against a Pac 12 opponent, and one from within California at that.

sd-1541700429-akra2n8zu0-snap-image

TL;DR - UCSD spent at least $6 million upgrading and renovating the gym.  This is from January 2019.

1 hour ago, Fowl said:

Highly doubt it.  They probably don't add anyone.

I do agree that USC is at risk of leaving and I've said that for years here.  My brother played football at USC and is is friendly with many in the administration there.  The olys are what have been holding them back.  Pac has phenomenal competition across all oly's and SC doesn't want to lose that.  But over the past decade the football side (and mostly their large boosters) have been getting their noses out of joint on the divergence between the media money the Pac provides vs the SEC and B1G.  Their boosters view them on par with Bama, LSU, Ohio State, Michigan, Texas, etc and it hasn't been sitting well with them that their money and conference prestige has been slowing falling behind.  It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Is the main reason the P12 is falling behind the SEC and B1G in media money because of the poor performance of the P12 network?  Or is it solely a matter of time zones and demographics?

If so, it seems like the big time USC, and other school, boosters should really be pushing to scrap or modify the way the P12 network operates.

19 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

I agree that the WCC is absolutely fine for most sports:  Women's Soccer, Women's Volleyball, Baseball, Softball, etc---the WCC is actually pretty strong in these sports.   And they don't matter much to fans, anyway.

Basketball is the big deal.  It would be like a big downgrade going from the PAC12 to the WCC.  Gonzage and BYU probably feel as good as any PAC12 school.  Saint Mary's is in a small venue, but good fan support.  But the other 7 schools have pretty bad fan support, and some play in high school caliber facilities (Pepperdine and LMU).

Not sure if USC fans would get over that. 

It works both ways.  Fan support will go up at those other schools if they're hosting USC.

Also, it's not like USC is fond of Wazzu, Oregon State and Arizona State.

47 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

Suds and Blase St will leave bringing the MW to 10. NCAA will deny a waiver for a CCG and the MW will have to add the NewMags and Weber State to make 12.

Cool.  Where are you speculating both teams going?  And when?  I am curious to see what happens as GOR expiration date gets closer for B12.  If those schools all stand pat, then i don't think you see very many G5 changes.  But if Texas and Oklahoma decide they can make more money elsewhere...  

1 hour ago, Fowl said:

Highly doubt it.  They probably don't add anyone.

I do agree that USC is at risk of leaving and I've said that for years here.  My brother played football at USC and is is friendly with many in the administration there.  The olys are what have been holding them back.  Pac has phenomenal competition across all oly's and SC doesn't want to lose that.  But over the past decade the football side (and mostly their large boosters) have been getting their noses out of joint on the divergence between the media money the Pac provides vs the SEC and B1G.  Their boosters view them on par with Bama, LSU, Ohio State, Michigan, Texas, etc and it hasn't been sitting well with them that their money and conference prestige has been slowing falling behind.  It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

SC needs to start proving they belong in that conversation. They have not been in it since when ? Pete fecking Carrol. ?

Americans Mayor

1 hour ago, #1Stunner said:

I guess they could park their Olympics in the Big12 (would be too far geographically, though).

WCC is too small for USC.

MW is USC natural home.

Americans Mayor

1 hour ago, jdgaucho said:

My biased opinion says SDSU would have Utah (former MWAC buddy), Colorado and Washington in their corner with Oregon as a toss-up.

The others are an uninspired no.  Arizona, ASU, Oregon State and Wazzu would take a significant hit in recruiting if SDSU was invited and UCLA, Stanford and Cal would be hesitant to elevate a Cal State.

It seems to me the Aztecs have been out recruiting them over the last five seasons. 6-1 and at one point the Aztecs had more Pac wins than Bucky Beaver.

Americans Mayor

1 hour ago, #1Stunner said:

Yeah, but would USC fans be happy about the tiny gyms in the WCC?   Wouild USC want to be a peer to LMU and Pepperdine?

Only schools that sell out their games are BYU, SMC and Gonzaga.

SC would negotiate a favorable scheduling arrangement. The SoCal teams have to play both games @ SC with split gate and the Bay Area games are played at Oracle with a split gate.

Americans Mayor

26 minutes ago, alum93 said:

Cool.  Where are you speculating both teams going?  And when?  I am curious to see what happens as GOR expiration date gets closer for B12.  If those schools all stand pat, then i don't think you see very many G5 changes.  But if Texas and Oklahoma decide they can make more money elsewhere...  

It was a sarcastic retort to the q of the grounds that Sparty has to remain in the conference. 

I do agree that Texas and OU hold a lot of cards. I could see SC, Nike and UW starting a new conference with them.

The weak sisters if the Pac and B12 will be on the chopping block. Kansas fb had better get good quick or they could be on the outside looking in.

Americans Mayor

35 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

It was a sarcastic retort to the q of the grounds that Sparty has to remain in the conference. 

I do agree that Texas and OU hold a lot of cards. I could see SC, Nike and UW starting a new conference with them.

The weak sisters if the Pac and B12 will be on the chopping block. Kansas fb had better get good quick or they could be on the outside looking in.

B10 would take Kansas if they could get Texas with them. However little chance horns would go to B10.

2 hours ago, renoskier said:

Is the main reason the P12 is falling behind the SEC and B1G in media money because of the poor performance of the P12 network?  Or is it solely a matter of time zones and demographics?

If so, it seems like the big time USC, and other school, boosters should really be pushing to scrap or modify the way the P12 network operates.

I don't know the answer to that question.  I suspect the bigger difference is in the P12 network vs the B1G and SEC networks.  IIRC the latter two networks have carriage on most all of the larger platforms whereas the former does not.  That was a big reason for those conferences to expand and take Rutgers, Maryland, and A&M - to get them into regions with large population bases to get a higher carriage fee.  IIRC the payment per sub in the conference footprint was close to $1 whereas outside of the footprint it was $0.15.  

I do know that USC has not been happy with the way the P12 network has been run and the lack of distributions to conference members.

In addition to playing Hawaii, UNM, Wyoming, and Fresno from the MWC in 2024,  NMSU just scheduled a home and home with Northern Illinois for 2024 and 2027.  First game in Las Cruces.  That's 8 games schedule 5 seasons out for the 2024 season.  Not bad.  Home schedule so far is Hawaii, Louisiana, UNM, and Northern Illinois.  

2 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

It seems to me the Aztecs have been out recruiting them over the last five seasons. 6-1 and at one point the Aztecs had more Pac wins than Bucky Beaver.

Then it would be even more pronounced.  Perhaps Malachi Flynn chooses SDSU over Wazzu straight out of high school, if the Aztecs had been a P12 member?