Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

calspartan

March Madness in empty arenas? To prevent spread of coronavirus?

13 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Ffs, we have some of the most contentious partisans around on that side of the board and not even one of them brought up this fake story of Trump calling the virus a hoax garbage. He didn’t call the virus a hoax. From your linked article.

“The Democrats are politicising the coronavirus,” Trump said. “They’re politicising it. One of my people came up to me and said: ‘Mr President, they tried to beat you on Russia, Russia, Russia.’ That did not work out too well. They could not do it. They tried the impeachment hoax.

“This is their new hoax.”

The political football, that he was doing nothing, is the “hoax”, not the global pandemic. Nor has anything been handcuffed, or cut or defunded.

Saying "This is their new hoax" is de-legitimizing and calling the virus itself a hoax...like Dems just made it up...and it's nothing to be worried...it's not real...it'll go away in a day or two...nobody has died from it is what Trump said...I don't want to make a sports section political...but stop making up ish man....

20 minutes ago, bnastyaztecs said:

Saying "This is their new hoax" is de-legitimizing and calling the virus itself a hoax...like Dems just made it up...and it's nothing to be worried...it's not real...it'll go away in a day or two...nobody has died from it is what Trump said...I don't want to make a sports section political...but stop making up ish man....

I made nothing up, nothing has been defunded, nobody has been handcuffed. Saying that the people espousing those things that are categorically false are propagating a hoax, is not delegitimizing the virus. That’s politics. 

I will speak no more of that aspect on this side of the board.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

25 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

I made nothing up, nothing has been defunded, nobody has been handcuffed. Saying that the people espousing those things that are categorically false are propagating a hoax, is not delegitimizing the virus. That’s politics. 

I will speak no more of that aspect on this side of the board.

The Trump administration barred a top US disease expert from speaking freely to the public after he warned the coronavirus might be impossible to contain

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-anthony-fauci-trump-admin-stops-discussion-2020-2

That's the definition of handcuffing...his 2021 budget defunds the CDC budget...Congress has not approved it...that's the unvarnished truth....welcome to reality.....

9 minutes ago, bnastyaztecs said:

The Trump administration barred a top US disease expert from speaking freely to the public after he warned the coronavirus might be impossible to contain

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-anthony-fauci-trump-admin-stops-discussion-2020-2

That's the definition of handcuffing...his 2021 budget defunds the CDC budget...Congress has not approved it...that's the unvarnished truth....welcome to reality.....

https://www.msnbc.com/hardball/watch/dr-anthony-fauci-i-m-not-being-muzzled-79650373756

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

1 hour ago, NVGiant said:

Anyone have any great idea why there is a run on bottled water? Do they think the Coronavirus is going to shut the tapwater off?

My best guess is that people were told to prepare for an emergency like a hurricane, tornado, earthquake, etc and you grab water in all those instances.  I think people don't really know what to do, but they have to do something because of the sensationalism

18 minutes ago, bnastyaztecs said:

Take it to the OT board.

5 hours ago, Ibanez said:

There is a ton. It starts out like a common cold I thought.

The common cold IS a coronavirus.

This is much ado about little. The flu has killed more people this year than covid-19.

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

27 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

The common cold IS a coronavirus.

This is much ado about little. The flu has killed more people this year than covid-19.

Yep, same with the SARS-cov outbreak in 02-03.

It's not nothing, IMO. Seems to have a relatively high ICU rate. Majority of people infected don't go beyond cold symptoms which is good, but the death rate among the older demographic and the potential to spread there isn't something to ignore totally.

All the crazy Costco panic, the selling out of paper products, can products, and such? That's a little much to say the least.

8k3esKz.png

7 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

6 deaths in 87 confirmed cases in the US, those aren’t chicken little numbers.

And the 16,000 deaths in the US from the flu this year just can't compare to those shocking Coronavirus numbers can they? The 3125 deaths worldwide from Corona dwarfs the 650,000 deaths worldwide annually from the flu.  There is absolutely no sensationalism involved from the media.  Fact is most of the world will be dead by next Tuesday the way this virus is spreading.  

58 minutes ago, BSUFan said:

And the 16,000 deaths in the US from the flu this year just can't compare to those shocking Coronavirus numbers can they? The 3125 deaths worldwide from Corona dwarfs the 650,000 deaths worldwide annually from the flu.  There is absolutely no sensationalism involved from the media.  Fact is most of the world will be dead by next Tuesday the way this virus is spreading.  

So you’re response to sensationalism is...more sensationalism? The flu’s death rate is .1%. So far this thing is killing at 17 times that rate (if the lying commies in China can be believed). That’s not the Black Plague, but it’s not the flu either.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

Well almost time to move this to the OT Forum if the thread continues down this path. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

2 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

So you’re response to sensationalism is...more sensationalism? The flu’s death rate is .1%. So far this thing is killing at 17 times that rate (if the lying commies in China can be believed). That’s not the Black Plague, but it’s not the flu either.

https://www.realclearscience.com/blog/2020/02/29/five_reasons_you_dont_need_to_panic_about_the_covid-19_coronavirus.html

22 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

As the article says, a grave and serious threat. It’s using the Chinese communist party’s reported numbers, and I don’t buy them. Like I said, this isn’t the plague. It’s not the flu either, nor is it the earlier contagions of SARS and MERS that killed quickly, thus reducing people’s exposure. 

3 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

As the article says, a grave and serious threat. It’s using the Chinese communist party’s reported numbers, and I don’t buy them. Like I said, this isn’t the plague. It’s not the flu either, nor is it the earlier contagions of SARS and MERS that killed quickly, thus reducing people’s exposure. 

It's killing mostly the elderly and people with underlying medical conditions. Infants and children have a negligible mortality rate and are, most likely, a major vector for spread as they show only the mildest of signs and symptoms. The infection rate is also probably a LOT higher due to the number of very mild cases not reported in which people recovered with no medical attention, meaning the overall mortality rate is a lot LOWER than is currently being reported.

On 3/2/2020 at 9:55 PM, thelawlorfaithful said:

Been about 10 days and the world still turns. Imagine that.