Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

calspartan

March Madness in empty arenas? To prevent spread of coronavirus?

Recommended Posts

National college players nonprofit group is asking the NCAA to do just that.

Here at Stanford, they are already shutting down its theater.  There's primary school closure...schools that are open have have less students in attendance...Costco ran out of water bottlers...traffic / parking eases up a bit.

Thoughts?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Chicken Little springs immediately to mind....

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

6 deaths in 87 confirmed cases in the US, those aren’t chicken little numbers.

Yeah, they are.  1 case for every 3.5 million people.  And half of all the US cases were from the 1 cruise ship.  And all the deaths are in 2 counties. 

As of 2 March 2020, more than 3,061 deaths have been attributed to COVID-19. According to China's NHC, most of those who died were older patients – about 80% of deaths recorded were from those over the age of 60, and 75% had pre-existing health conditions

 

 

Caution is fine.  What's going on now is way beyond it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

The media is doing a good job making a panic out of this situation.

Just take the media out of it...and look what countries and American businesses are doing...Fortune 500 companies have highly-paid experts to give them the real scoop...and these companies are pulling back...Japan...Italy and of course China are shutting down...Iran is blowing up with it...the virus is highly contagious and there is no vaccine...it's going to take at least a year for one...so business and the supply chain is backed up or non-existent...layoffs will ensue...and stuff on the shelves will either cost more...or won't be there...no business is losing money over fake news or a hoax virus:

 

Containers back up on Chinese docks as coronavirus triggers closures

"The growing backup of containers at China's ports is now causing ripple effects in the U.S. as well, the group says. "Within China, the supply chain has been compromised, starting at the China marine terminals extending all the way to the ultimate inland destination points. The supply chain disruption has crossed the Pacific and is evident at U.S. marine terminals, and inland," Peter Friedmann, executive director of the Agriculture Transportation Coalition, said in a release.

Consequently, U.S.-based agriculture and forest products exporters have been finding their cargo getting "stuck" at inland origin points, rail ramps, truck yards, refrigerated warehouses, and domestic marine terminals, the group said."

 

https://www.supplychainquarterly.com/news/20200211-containers-back-up-on-chinese-docks-as-coronavirus-triggers-closures/

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

6 deaths in 87 confirmed cases in the US, those aren’t chicken little numbers.

How many hundreds of unconfirmed cases do you reckon? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, bnastyaztecs said:

Just take the media out of it...and look what countries and American businesses are doing...Fortune 500 companies have highly-paid experts to give them the real scoop...and these companies are pulling back...Japan...Italy and of course China are shutting down...Iran is blowing up with it...the virus is highly contagious and there is no vaccine...it's going to take at least a year for one...so business and the supply chain is backed up or non-existent...layoffs will ensue...and stuff on the shelves will either cost more...or won't be there...no business is losing money over fake news or a hoax virus:

 

Containers back up on Chinese docks as coronavirus triggers closures

"The growing backup of containers at China's ports is now causing ripple effects in the U.S. as well, the group says. "Within China, the supply chain has been compromised, starting at the China marine terminals extending all the way to the ultimate inland destination points. The supply chain disruption has crossed the Pacific and is evident at U.S. marine terminals, and inland," Peter Friedmann, executive director of the Agriculture Transportation Coalition, said in a release.

Consequently, U.S.-based agriculture and forest products exporters have been finding their cargo getting "stuck" at inland origin points, rail ramps, truck yards, refrigerated warehouses, and domestic marine terminals, the group said."

 

https://www.supplychainquarterly.com/news/20200211-containers-back-up-on-chinese-docks-as-coronavirus-triggers-closures/

Oh, I understand how dangerous the situation is. You misunderstood me. The media is doing what they always do, concentrating on scaring the shit out of everyone. I'm waiting for them to blame Trump. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bob said:

How many hundreds of unconfirmed cases do you reckon? 

There is a ton. It starts out like a common cold I thought.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Bob said:

How many hundreds of unconfirmed cases do you reckon? 

I have no idea. Nobody does. The best numbers at any scale we have are out of South Korea. China is lying, Iran can’t begin to lie properly. This is just beginning. It’s not the plague, but don’t buy for a second anyone has a grasp on this thing. They don’t.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

Oh, I understand how dangerous the situation is. You misunderstood me. The media is doing what they always do, concentrating on scaring the shit out of everyone. I'm waiting for them to blame Trump. 

Trump didn't start the virus...maybe...but him calling it a hoax, handcuffing the experts at HHS, defunding it, and his constant lying about stupid ish (like the hurricane)...sure ain't helping quell the fears or getting out the uncut info (truth) about the virus.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, RSF said:

Yeah, they are.  1 case for every 3.5 million people.  And half of all the US cases were from the 1 cruise ship.  And all the deaths are in 2 counties. 

As of 2 March 2020, more than 3,061 deaths have been attributed to COVID-19. According to China's NHC, most of those who died were older patients – about 80% of deaths recorded were from those over the age of 60, and 75% had pre-existing health conditions

Caution is fine.  What's going on now is way beyond it.

That’s the Chinese communist party line. Parrot it if you like. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, bnastyaztecs said:

Trump didn't start the virus...maybe...but him calling it a hoax, handcuffing the experts at HHS, defunding it, and his constant lying about stupid ish (like the hurricane)...sure ain't helping quell the fears or getting out the uncut info (truth) about the virus.....

He didn’t do any of those things. But we have a thread on the other side of the board for that. 

There is serious disruption in the supply chain as you pointed out, and it’s not that hard to fathom it affecting the the sports world that we all enjoy.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It definitely is a serious situation, but the media needs to fill news and wants people to tune in, thus you get sensationalism.  

I went to Costco yesterday and they were out of toilet paper and paper towels.  First time that employee can remember that happening.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Wyobraska said:

It definitely is a serious situation, but the media needs to fill news and wants people to tune in, thus you get sensationalism.  

I went to Costco yesterday and they were out of toilet paper and paper towels.  First time that employee can remember that happening.  

I know of medical supply outlets here that ran out of masks....before the 1st US case was ever confimed.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

6 deaths in 87 confirmed cases in the US, those aren’t chicken little numbers.

Even with a vaccine the flu kills 60,000-80,000 people a year.  And yet there's no panic about that?  The infirm & aged are at risk the rest recover?  it's probably far more wide spread then recognized from people that stay home when they get sick & don't seek help unless it gets a lot worse.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, calspartan said:

National college players nonprofit group is asking the NCAA to do just that.

Here at Stanford, they are already shutting down its theater.  There's primary school closure...schools that are open have have less students in attendance...Costco ran out of water bottlers...traffic / parking eases up a bit.

Thoughts?

 

Anyone have any great idea why there is a run on bottled water? Do they think the Coronavirus is going to shut the tapwater off?

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

He didn’t do any of those things. But we have a thread on the other side of the board for that. 

There is serious disruption in the supply chain as you pointed out, and it’s not that hard to fathom it affecting the the sports world that we all enjoy.

Trump fends off criticism of 'hoax' remark after first US coronavirus death

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/29/joe-biden-trump-coronavirus-hoax-claim

 Is coronavirus panic a hoax?

"The next day Trump pulled away from his use of the word “hoax,” acknowledging the seriousness of the health threat “from China.”

https://thehill.com/opinion/healthcare/485398-is-coronavirus-a-hoax

 

There's a lot of people with their heads in the hole on this one...for political or skeptical reason...in this case...it's for real...and if it takes off in the next couple of weeks in the US...sports...and every other venue...like Disneyland...will shut down....if the Aztecs go east...I have no problem with that......

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...