Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DoubleBlueGold

Los Angeles Bowl

7 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

Meh.

I would far prefer to see our champ matched up with the AAC or C-USA champ.

Dude, it would be nice to play the AAC more, but this is about recruiting, recruiting, recruiting and fan interest. We compete with the PAC for recruiting, period. A game in a hotbed of recruiting for the entire nation against a very good PAC opponent is awesome for the conference. The more we can be perceived as a conference that’s not far off in quality, the better it is for the conference. We couldn’t ask for more. This is a big upgrade from the LV Bowl. 

We do need another lower bowl game with say a 6-6 PAC, or even 5-7 in some years. ANYTIME the MWC can beat a PAC team, it’s an important win for perception, and great for MWC vs. PAC stats like # of MWC wins over PAC schools. Great stats to rattle off to recruits. 

kat.jpg

9 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

Dude, it would be nice to play the AAC more, but this is about recruiting, recruiting, recruiting and fan interest. We compete with the PAC for recruiting, period. A game in a hotbed of recruiting for the entire nation against a very good PAC opponent is awesome for the conference. The more we can be perceived as a conference that’s not far off in quality, the better it is for the conference. We couldn’t ask for more. This is a big upgrade from the LV Bowl. 

We do need another lower bowl game with say a 6-6 PAC, or even 5-7 in some years. ANYTIME the MWC can beat a PAC team, it’s an important win for perception, and great for MWC vs. PAC stats like MWC wins over PAC schools. 

This should be a pretty big success.  Since they have to coordinate with the NFL schedule, the dates could be mid-week so this year it could be on 12/23 or 12/30 or 12/31.

Now we’ll wait who will broadcast the game.  Maybe CBS or Fox OTA will pick it up.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/national/story/2020-02-26/la-bowl-will-welcome-pac-12-mountain-west-to-sofi-stadium

sounds like this year they won’t have the rest of the complex completed yet, but will an awesome venue to visit.   Sounds like they will have some cheap tickets to be able to fill the stadium as much as it can.   It’ll have to be after Christmas so fans can enjoy LA and the bowl events like the AZ Bowl. 

2 hours ago, MWC Tex said:

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/national/story/2020-02-26/la-bowl-will-welcome-pac-12-mountain-west-to-sofi-stadium

sounds like this year they won’t have the rest of the complex completed yet, but will an awesome venue to visit.   Sounds like they will have some cheap tickets to be able to fill the stadium as much as it can.   It’ll have to be after Christmas so fans can enjoy LA and the bowl events like the AZ Bowl. 

"...enjoy LA..." :huh:

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

16 hours ago, Koji Vu said:

Definite upgrade from LV Bowl, and SDSU needs to renew the Poinsettia Bowl when it gets its new stadium built.

And let the Holiday Bowl go elsewhere or fold. F'Them (sorry Guillermo's)...

11 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

We do need another lower bowl game with say a 6-6 PAC, or even 5-7 in some years. ANYTIME the MWC can beat a PAC team, it’s an important win for perception, and great for MWC vs. PAC stats like # of MWC wins over PAC schools. Great stats to rattle off to recruits.

Playing 6-6 Pac teams has zero appeal to me. Esp when our conference champs get blown out.

Playing the AAC or CUSA champ makes more sense.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

Guest #1Stunner
18 hours ago, Rebels18 said:

This is a total downgrade. It sucks the Vegas Bowl dumped the MWC. Now the Las Vegas Bowl gets the the best available Pac-12 team that isn't in a NY6 Bowl or play-off + a Big 10/SEC school....and LA Bowl gets the a 5th place Pac-12 school? With how shitty the Pac-12 has been? Yikes. 

Las Vegas is 10x the destination that LA is, especially for the MWC.

It's within driving range for most of the conference, including the Front Rangers USU, and Boise. 

In comparison, the Los Angeles Bowl will probably have worse attendance since it is not an easy drive for half of the conference.

I don't think the Los Angeles Bowl is bad, just that Las Vegas is a better location.   Too bad the MWC can't have both locations.  I'm not sure why Las Vegas can't host 2 bowl games.  I though the new Las Vegas Bowl had been moved to after Christmas.

Guest #1Stunner
12 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

How is it a big upgrade from the Las Vegas Bowl?

The PAC12 numbers 5 through 8 teams are all essentially the same thing.  All of those teams are usually 7-5.

I do think that the new LA stadium looks amazing, but Las Vegas also will have a new, amazing stadium.

Too bad the MWC can't have Los Angeles and Las Vegas.

2 hours ago, Rev McQuervo said:

I'd say that if the Hoteliers want to bail on the Holiday Bowl, then SDSU should pick it up and host TWO bowl games! More revenue, and perhaps more bowl games for the MWC.

I wonder if a MWC vs AAC bowl game in San Diego is in the future?

I wonder if the LA Bowl is planning a bigger payout to get a 5th place PAC team?  
The Sun paid $4.5 million and Redbox paid $3.6 million while the “old” LV Bowl paid $2.9 million.

So either the LA Bowl is putting a $5+ million Bowl payout or the Sun and Redbox lowered theirs.

Either way, it sounds like it be a bigger payout than the previous LV Bowl.

On 2/27/2020 at 8:01 AM, Rev McQuervo said:

There’s no reason a new bowl couldn’t be created in Vegas at the Raiders Stadium to replace the Boise Bowl, and even another one in LA. I’d really like to see a new Emerald/Kraft Bowl created and played at the same place, AT&T (now Oracle) Park. That would be ideal for Nevada, Fresno St. and SJSU (4-0 in last 4 bowls, 3 of them in 2006, 2012 and 2015) when they’re bowl eligible. Maybe play the lowest P12 eligible team. 

kat.jpg