Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

Boise State at UNLV

3 hours ago, PlayersinVegas said:

But also Bosie State played horrible, really bad. They haven't been good in a long time, maybe a change is coming 👀

Nope.  AD has no spine and no plan to actually have a solid hoops program.  Hell, Leon just got another year extension and more cash for 18 wins.  Can't make it up.  A contract rewarding mediocrity is all that needs to be seen.

4 hours ago, ph90702 said:

Boise State has hit their ceiling under Leon Rice.  I honestly don’t think the program can get much better.  It’s not a great job.  Middle of the pack in the MW.

It's a solid job if it paid.  It doesn't.  Bottom 2 or 3 in overall budget in the MWC.  Rice actually does well given that.   If he had money he wouldn't need retreads and wannabes on the staff.  He could actually recruit someone to coach O and D.   Bleymeir was famous for starving hoops to pay for title 9, etc and our AD is a Bleymeir  trainee.

4 minutes ago, roughrider said:

It's a solid job if it paid.  It doesn't.  Bottom 2 or 3 in overall budget in the MWC.  Rice actually does well given that.   If he had money he wouldn't need retreads and wannabes on the staff.  He could actually recruit someone to coach O and D.   Bleymeir was famous for starving hoops to pay for title 9, etc and our AD is a Bleymeir  trainee.

Why add baseball then?

3 hours ago, toonkee said:

All of that is true. I think a sign of a great coach is when you get results and confident play from the lesser players on the team. We've got walk-ons and scrubs playing quality minutes. It's a good sign.

Like I keep saying, it is all very Kruger-esque. Like that year we went to the Dance with Joe Darger at center.

He seems to recruit similar guys. Not uber talented, but high basketball IQ and coachable.

I think it can be a recipe for winning the MWC, but not sure after that. Don't think he will be around long enough to hit his ceiling. I think he will get plucked by a G5 within 3 to 5 yrs. Maybe Kevin Kruger could take the reigns after that?

6 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

Why add baseball then?

I wouldn't have.  It was Kustra's parting gift to strap the AD and it's bungling leadership.

I invest to get the most out of the 2 sports you can actually make money on before any new boondoggle or pet projects.

27 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

Like I keep saying, it is all very Kruger-esque. Like that year we went to the Dance with Joe Darger at center.

He seems to recruit similar guys. Not uber talented, but high basketball IQ and coachable.

I think it can be a recipe for winning the MWC, but not sure after that. Don't think he will be around long enough to hit his ceiling. I think he will get plucked by a G5 within 3 to 5 yrs. Maybe Kevin Kruger could take the reigns after that?

If TJ has a good year I think it’ll happen a lot sooner than that. He’s already turning heads, even with a crappy record. 

And TJ went after some top players, he just didn’t get them, he was too much of an unknown. We’ll see what happens. 

28 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

Man that would be a real blow if he left for another G5. gotcha GIF

1 hour ago, SharkTanked said:

I'm too young to know wheat the young Lon Kruger was like. But if I recall correctly, I think he was known as a real fiery guy for a lot of his coaching career. It wasn't until recently that he's taken on more of that grandpa-esque, charming side.

I see TJO as a young Kruger. The dude is passionate and fiery.  Seems like he wants to do basketball stuff 90% of his time, and spend the other 10% with his family (don't get caught up on the numbers... but he wants bball and family, with nothing else). The UNLV version of Kruger seemed a bit more lax. Even things like radio interviews or coach's shows (radio/TV) it just feels like TJO doesn't want to be there. If he's not coaching, doing film study, recruiting, meeting with his guys, etc. he just wants to be at home.

Otzelberger isn’t going anywhere. Why would you leave here when it’s possible to win a national championship?  San Diego State is the only other program in the conference that can say that.

Another thing that annoys me is that people act like UNLV is a stepping stone job.  That really pisses me off!  It turns into a self-fulfilling prophecy when you say that.

4 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

Otzelberger isn’t going anywhere. Why would you leave here when it’s possible to win a national championship?  San Diego State is the only other program in the conference that can say that.

Another thing that annoys me is that people act like UNLV is a stepping stone job.  That really pisses me off!  It turns into a self-fulfilling prophecy when you say that.

My friend, if we can't or won't pay 3-4 million a year, it's a stepping stone. I don't like it but that's the reality. 

25 minutes ago, toonkee said:

My friend, if we can't or won't pay 3-4 million a year, it's a stepping stone. I don't like it but that's the reality. 

We have more money from the Learfield IMG College deal.  We’re also getting more money from the TV deal.  Without any booster support, we should be able to afford raising him to $2 million per year.  With his style of play, if he starts winning, I think the money would be there from the boosters to give him at least $1 million more per year.

5 hours ago, qwelish said:

Newsflash: weve been finishing above .500.

It has been a struggle under Menzies.  That is why I was nervous about my bet.  I feel better now.  UNLV is turning this thing around.   I think they have a great shot in the tournament and should be playing for top3 in conference next year.  That is a big improvement.  

39 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

Of course it is.  He will leave once this ship is turned around.   Nature of the beast.  

9 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

We have more money from the Learfield IMG College deal.  We’re also getting more money from the TV deal.  Without any booster support, we should be able to afford raising him to $2 million per year.  With his style of play, if he starts winning, I think the money would be there from the boosters to give him at least $1 million more per year.

Well, hopefully, TJ proves worth that kind of money and we will find out.

3 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Well, hopefully, TJ proves worth that kind of money and we will find out.

I personally don’t think he’s going anywhere.  He turned down the UNLV job at first, but DRF kept reaching out to him and things went from there.

The only reason why I think he left South Dakota State is because we have a much higher ceiling here.

31 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

I personally don’t think he’s going anywhere.  He turned down the UNLV job at first, but DRF kept reaching out to him and things went from there.

The only reason why I think he left South Dakota State is because we have a much higher ceiling here.

And he got a great contract.

2 hours ago, toonkee said:

Correct, unless somehow UNLV's administration can do something it has been unable to do since the 70's and get its act together he is as good as gone when even a pretty good opportunity comes along.