bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

8 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Bad example. Many obese cardiac patients have a choice like unvaccinated patients. Watch your diet. Why should they get preference? 

Just now, NVGiant said:

That wasn't my example. It was HRs and you added the obese. But why should unvaccinated Covid patients get preference, especially when they are the cause of the hospitals being overrun? 

Wasn't really an example either.  It was happening as of last week.  My wife sits on the foundation board for Parker hospital.  they were at 100% capacity (capacity is determined by staff and not beds, they have open beds, but no staff to attend to those beds) and had to turn cardiac patients away and told them to seek treatment elsewhere.  

3 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Why should an obese cardiac patient get preference. He/she has a choice also. 

Because rationing their care doesn't seem to help alleviate the pressure on a hospital? Rationing care of the unvaccinated would? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HR_Poke said:

Not sure it's that big of a hospital to have a dedicated ward for just covid patients.

Side note I talked with my old neighbor over thanksgiving.  She's an RN at the Cheyenne hospital.  She said their admin furloughed a lot of the nursing staff in 2020 because they got federal funds to cover the cost of traveling covid nurses.  She said the hospital started using all those paid for nurses to do non covid stuff just so they could furlough existing staff.  Pretty phucked up in my opinion. 

I don’t have a very high opinion of the traveling COVID nurses. Last year my wife had to get a bunch of traveling nurses (mostly were from the Bay Area and Arizona) when her facility dealt with a COVID outbreak among the staff/residents, and they were offended over one of their “working conditions”. What was the working condition? Having to stay at a Marriott in Salinas. I guess that was insulting to them, and they insisted they be put up in a hotel in PEBBLE EFFING BEACH. Mind you, the facility is in Salinas nearby that Marriott, and Pebble Beach is like 40 minutes away. Some of them actually threatened to leave over this, and of course they got their way because what the hell else was my wife’s company going to do? Apparently some of them were decent workers, but a lot of them had this attitude that they should be getting their asses kissed because “they didn’t have to be there” and blah blah blah. 

Anyways, rant over. I know that’s just an anecdote, but whatever. 

3 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

I don’t have a very high opinion of the traveling COVID nurses. Last year my wife had to get a bunch of traveling nurses (mostly were from the Bay Area and Arizona) when her facility dealt with a COVID outbreak among the staff/residents, and they were offended over one of their “working conditions”. What was the working condition? Having to stay at a Marriott in Salinas. I guess that was insulting to them, and they insisted they be put up in a hotel in PEBBLE EFFING BEACH. Mind you, the facility is in Salinas nearby that Marriott, and Pebble Beach is like 40 minutes away. Some of them actually threatened to leave over this, and of course they got their way because what the hell else was my wife’s company going to do? Apparently some of them were decent workers, but a lot of them had this attitude that they should be getting their asses kissed because “they didn’t have to be there” and blah blah blah. 

Anyways, rant over. I know that’s just an anecdote, but whatever. 

That sucks.  My wife's hospital group sent a bunch of staff to NYC when they had their early outbreak.  They were sleeping on cots and such in the on-call rooms and didn't get hotels.  Most came back with PTSD I guess.  But yeah there are always going to be people that are complete a-holes about situations like that.  "Consultants" and all....

11 minutes ago, HR_Poke said:

That sucks.  My wife's hospital group sent a bunch of staff to NYC when they had their early outbreak.  They were sleeping on cots and such in the on-call rooms and didn't get hotels.  Most came back with PTSD I guess.  But yeah there are always going to be people that are complete a-holes about situations like that.  "Consultants" and all....

Yea it blew my mind how she described them. I think it was probably because at the time (last spring) the outbreak wasn’t all that bad in CA, so there wasn’t really this “wartime mentality” here. To be fair to the traveling nurses, I imagine last winter the attitude was much different. 

9 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Yea it blew my mind how she described them. I think it was probably because at the time (last spring) the outbreak wasn’t all that bad in CA, so there wasn’t really this “wartime mentality” here. To be fair to the traveling nurses, I imagine last winter the attitude was much different. 

I've heard people say Locum Tennun docs were like that too.  Really arrogant and just all around a-holes. 

2 hours ago, happycamper said:

not the thrust of my post. democrats begged and begged for votes, got them, did not a lot

We’ll that’s the system.  States, no matter how small, get their own pair of Republican/moderate Dem senators who are inordinately stupid and selfish.  Not really feasible to get shit done in that environment. 

2 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Why should an obese cardiac patient get preference. He/she has a choice also. 

You don’t understand much about health science, do you?  Not all who are overweight cardiac patients “made a choice”.  Genetics plays a huge role in obesity.  

• Like 2

new cases setting records in England.  Hospitalizations are climbing quickly.  uhh omicron mild?

He warned that in some areas the doubling rate for cases was now under two days, adding: "I'm afraid we're also seeing the inevitable increase in hospitalisations up by 10% nationally, week-on-week, and up by almost a third in London."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-59673150

23 minutes ago, Billings said:

new cases setting records in England.  Hospitalizations are climbing quickly.  uhh omicron mild?

He warned that in some areas the doubling rate for cases was now under two days, adding: "I'm afraid we're also seeing the inevitable increase in hospitalisations up by 10% nationally, week-on-week, and up by almost a third in London."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-59673150

Get your booster shot.

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/omicron-covid-19-variant-12-15-21/index.html

Health officials warn that Omicron could soon become the dominant variant in the US, and preliminary data suggests that a booster dose of the Pfizer/BioNTech or Moderna vaccine provides substantially better protection against the Omicron variant than the primary two-dose series. 

1 minute ago, alum93 said:

Get your booster shot.

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/omicron-covid-19-variant-12-15-21/index.html

Health officials warn that Omicron could soon become the dominant variant in the US, and preliminary data suggests that a booster dose of the Pfizer/BioNTech or Moderna vaccine provides substantially better protection against the Omicron variant than the primary two-dose series. 

Already did in August as I am immune compromised.  I can get another in February.....

• Like 2

6 hours ago, modestobulldog said:

Colorado governor, a rare Democrat with common sense, declares end of medical emergency, no mandates needed.

"You don't tell people to wear a jacket when they go out in winter and force them to [wear it]," he said. "If they get frostbite, it's their own darn fault. If you haven't been vaccinated, that's your choice. I respect that. But it's your fault when you're in the hospital with COVID."

"Frankly, people who want to be protected" have gotten vaccinated, he added. "Those who get sick, it's almost entirely their own darn fault."

"Eighty-four percent of the people in our hospitals are unvaccinated, and they absolutely had every chance to get vaccinated."

https://www.axios.com/colorado-governor-polis-covid-mask-mandates-d7c62e9e-33a4-41c8-b9f8-5b0345c7a2c1.html

I myself am about there with mandates & masks - Getting to where enough people have the vaccines & are taking other precautions.........to those that refuse, then let them deal with any covid issues on their own 

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Here comes omicron. Supposedly more contagious than delta. What’s the next strain after that? When does it ever end Dr Fauci? Please just admit you don’t know. Where’s my next stimulus check? 

This is such a stupid post for so many reasons. Get this Facebook-caliber garbage outa here.

• Like 4