bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

On 3/23/2020 at 10:58 AM, Del Scorcho said:

if you're scoring at home, we've now pushed over 40,000 cases in the US with 472 deaths

please stay home if you can, wash your hands frequently and maintain social distancing

Remember when we thought this was a bad day. Holy Crap what are we at now, almost a million deaths in the US. 

• Sad 4

18 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

And thank you very much @Orygunand @Old_SD_Dudefor proving exactly what is wrong with people today. I'm sure both of you would jump off a bridge if everyone else were jumping as well. Thanks for being sheep we all need good sheep. The rest of us will be doing research, reading reports, reading studies and all that stuff which creates critical thinking which neither of you are interested in

I’ve said this to @Bob before and I’ll say it to you: We are all sheep to some degree. Yea, you “did your own research” yet somehow manage to use the same talking points as literally EVERY OTHER ANTI-VAXX AND “VACCINE SKEPTICAL” person. Congrats. 

• Like 5
  • Facepalm 1

17 hours ago, CV147 said:

I disagree that with omicron anything is "clear." I also disagree that repeals would come easy. 

Nobody likes masks.  They'll repeal it when it's clear it isn't needed. At 1,000 cases per day, however, we need it.

If the danger of COVID isn't "clear" to you yet, your sources of information suck shit.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Orygun said:

Nobody likes masks.  They'll repeal it when it's clear it isn't needed. At 1,000 cases per day, however, we need it.

If the danger of COVID isn't "clear" to you yet, your sources of information suck shit.

Yea it’s really bizarre to me that people think these local elected officials want to keep mask mandates forever because…………………. Reasons, I guess? Stuff? Things? Something something “To ConTrOl ThE pOpUlAcE!”? Once the public feels indoor mask mandates are not needed the public pressure mounts quickly, and local politicians respond pretty quickly to that. I mean these aren’t members of Congress or the State Legislature that can run away to DC or a state capital, they have to live in the areas they represent full time. Makes them much more responsive to public backlash. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, sean327 said:

This board is full of very intelligent people. We have engineers, attorneys, nurses, CPA’s, but none of us are virologists. Speaking for myself, I’m not smart enough to interpret 99.9% of the peer reviewed studies that have come out over the last two years, so I do what I always do in life. I defer to the experts in the field. Some will call me a sheep for that, but they can kiss my ass. I’m just doing the intelligent thing to do. Listening to Uncle Elmo on his podcast spewing conspiracy theories isn’t very intelligent.

Problem is even the experts don’t know a lot about this virus and are constantly adjusting as they learn more. Granted it’s better than listening to Uncle Elmo. 

• Like 1

Just now, soupslam1 said:

Problem is even the experts don’t know a lot about this virus and are constantly adjusting as they learn more.

Yeah, soup. that's how science works. hell that's why science works. 

• Like 8

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

3 hours ago, NVGiant said:

If you look within states like Oregon (and I'm sure California), county differences in case rates and death rates can be really stark. In Oregon, where there is a distinct geographic difference in political makeup it is obvious. Blue counties such as the Portland area's Multnomah, Washington, and Clackamas, as well as Lane (Eugene), Benton (Corvallis), and purple Deschutes (Bend) are dramatically better than red Eastern and Southern Oregon counties such as Malheur (think Wildlife Refuge takeover) and Harney (where Bundy and his merry band of idiots were headed when they were arrested). Almost all of the Eastern Oregon counties have a vax rate of less than 50%, too. Now, the population ranges are wide from Multnomah, the state's largest, to counties such as Malheur. But the trends certainly seem to point in a certain direction.

Here is the latest data, from the NYT, to illustrate:

1296270077_ScreenShot2021-12-07at8_45_01AM.png.0d62c4d1ba2578b83f4f3c0b81228751.png

Same is true in California. Though, to be fair, it's not JUST a causational thing - that voting GOP and the ideological position is the main reason. It's part of it, but in the Valley our economies just don't allow as much for remote work and socially distanced work. Also a lot of prisons. That in and of itself means higher rates. Those counties also tend to be more red than Marin or SF or LA counties. So how much of it is the Ag families who refuse to get vaxed, refuse to wear masks and still go to their regular bars every day? And how much of it is the fact that we are a working class region, and we don't have as many in the professional position to be able to work from home and keep their kids home and so on?

• Like 2

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

5 minutes ago, Bob said:

Is this what you people want here?

Nah I'd settle for receiving an honorary CSU doctorate

• Haha 2
  • Super-Mega Idiot 1

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

18 minutes ago, Bob said:

Heck, no.

I dont speak Austrian....

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

1 hour ago, smltwnrckr said:

Same is true in California. Though, to be fair, it's not JUST a causational thing - that voting GOP and the ideological position is the main reason. It's part of it, but in the Valley our economies just don't allow as much for remote work and socially distanced work. Also a lot of prisons. That in and of itself means higher rates. Those counties also tend to be more red than Marin or SF or LA counties. So how much of it is the Ag families who refuse to get vaxed, refuse to wear masks and still go to their regular bars every day? And how much of it is the fact that we are a working class region, and we don't have as many in the professional position to be able to work from home and keep their kids home and so on?

Without a doubt economy factors in, and I didn't mean to suggest that political affiliation is the sole determinant. As far as deaths are concerned, factors such as obesity rates and median age factor in greatly, too. Tough to isolate one factor as a greater cause than another, especially for a mope like me. I'll say that the economy in Eastern Oregon, while agricultural based, is a different animal than the Central Valley. Wheat farming doesn't involve nearly as much close contact as some of the more labor intensive crops you see where you live. For instance, one of my best friends farms 17,000 acres of wheat in northeastern Oregon with three people, including himself. (Try that with strawberries!) And that's where we see the lowest vaccination rates in the state. However, to your point, the Willamette Valley farms a lot of fruits and berries, which is far more labor intensive. The coastal counties have a ton of seafood processing, and Covid has run rampant through those communities, too. 

Anyways, Deschutes County, where I live, is mainly a service-based economy. Lots of tourism. Lots of service jobs. Which is probably more at-risk than, say, a wheat farmer in Sherman County, Oregon. And looking at our numbers, you'd see a relatively high case rate (still lower than most of Eastern Oregon and the national average, but higher than state average), and relatively low hospitalization and death rate. Of course, we have a higher vaccination rate than Eastern Oregon, but we also have a younger, fitter population. So many factors. 

• Like 2

I am fine with hospitals having the discretion to lower the priority for non-critical cases in terms of care and donor lists regarding an unexempted and unvaccinated person.  Treat it as smokers trying to get new lungs, gluttons trying to get new hearts and whatever factors they are able to ration out finite resources.  Not going to support government blanket punishing everyone.  I have unvaxxed friends who have their own concerns based on health but aren't exempted and are essentially trying to be hermits to not get sick or pass it on if they do.  I don't see a reason to go after them.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bob said:

1 hour ago, East Coast Aztec said:

I am fine with hospitals having the discretion to lower the priority for non-critical cases in terms of care and donor lists regarding an unexempted and unvaccinated person.  Treat it as smokers trying to get new lungs, gluttons trying to get new hearts and whatever factors they are able to ration out finite resources.  Not going to support government blanket punishing everyone.  I have unvaxxed friends who have their own concerns based on health but aren't exempted and are essentially trying to be hermits to not get sick or pass it on if they do.  I don't see a reason to go after them.

30 minutes ago, Orygun said:

How scared of needles do you have to be to go to jail rather than get a safe, effective vaccine that keeps you from dying?  Stop being a goddamned c u n t.  

Quite the spectrum...

3 hours ago, Bob said:

Don't know.  The university Of Wyoming refused to let me attend classes on campus unless I updated my measles Vaccine.   so you know most places , including wyo  have strict vaccine requirements for something.

• Like 2