bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

1 minute ago, CV147 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/katu.com/amp/news/coronavirus/oregon-working-to-put-indoor-mask-rule-in-place-indefinitely

You all see this?

Bizarre to me. They say they can repeal it. I am not convinced they would do so easily.

They would repeal it if numbers dropped down past a certain point. The purpose for making it permanent is to prevent it from expiring (and being rendered unable to renew) after 180 days.  With omicron, it’s clear we need it.  

8 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

IIt is important to have discussions about what is going on, doing our own research, and exchange ideas which in some cases we can't do anymore.

Yeah you're really doing your "research." You should PM Bob. He can turn you on to a couple twitter feeds right up your alley.

• Like 2

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

7 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

In many areas hospital capacities are always high, and that had nothing to do with Covid, there are less hospitals and hospital beds now than there were 10 and even 20 years ago. In some areas hospitals were over run and some other areas they weren't. There were certain decisions that were made that did make things which worse which we found out after the fact

But overall back to my point there are different reasons, not just one, for people debating on getting vaccinated. Now with Moderna vaccine being under investigation from FDA, EU and I think WHO, I know there is a third one but not 100% it was WHO, about causing heart issues ailments and potentially long term heart ailments in people especially the young, that is going to give more people a second though because they will wonder if Pfizer and J&J do the same thing.  Just not to lump everything together.

It is important to have discussions about what is going on, doing our own research, and exchange ideas which in some cases we can't do anymore.

No, please don’t do your own research. Read the scientists’ research.  It’s clear your sources suck balls. 

• Like 4

And thank you very much @Orygunand @Old_SD_Dudefor proving exactly what is wrong with people today. I'm sure both of you would jump off a bridge if everyone else were jumping as well. Thanks for being sheep we all need good sheep. The rest of us will be doing research, reading reports, reading studies and all that stuff which creates critical thinking which neither of you are interested in

• Facepalm 1
  • Super-Mega Idiot 1

5 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

And thank you very much @Orygunand @Old_SD_Dudefor proving exactly what is wrong with people today. I'm sure both of you would jump off a bridge if everyone else were jumping as well. Thanks for being sheep we all need good sheep. The rest of us will be doing research, reading reports, reading studies and all that stuff which creates critical thinking which neither of you are interested in

Everyone is jumping off the bridge.  You just have the choice to use a bungee cord with a 0.1% chance of breaking (1/1000 with vaccine) vs. one with a 1.6% chance of breaking (1/60 with your immune system).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wolfpack1 said:

lol. Share some of your studies.

1 hour ago, Orygun said:

They would repeal it if numbers dropped down past a certain point. The purpose for making it permanent is to prevent it from expiring (and being rendered unable to renew) after 180 days.  With omicron, it’s clear we need it.  

I disagree that with omicron anything is "clear." I also disagree that repeals would come easy. 

2 hours ago, Bob said:

Hospital capacity is currently stretched tighter than kim kardashian's yoga pants in highly vaxxxed places like Vermont, New Hampshire, New Mexico, Germany and other places.

I wouldn’t consider 64% highly vaxxed. And the vast majority of those stretching the yoga pants of hospital capacity are unvaxxed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

It’s a great idea to be informed but it’s important to be able to interpret original sources not paraphrasing summaries from “medical journalists”. It’s not easy to discern statistical significance, study power etc… Doing your own research that contradicts peer reviewed studies which are difficult to be published is like picking which media source you watch to support whatever beliefs you already have. Best practices established by peer reviewed studies and experience are the basis of the medicine we practice and applying them to the circumstances is the art of medicine. There really is no reason to go see a doctor or go to the hospital if you don’t believe in these concepts. Not bashing you specifically but in general very frustrating to the point that most medical people say do what you want, we don’t care anymore.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bob said:

Oh please, Bob. The differences in age vs. party affiliation in your table are so small as to account for a tiny fraction of the disparities seen in the vaccination/death graphs above.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bob said:

not all GOP voted for trump in last election Bob.  Votes and party affiliation are not always the same.  GOP lost voters to Biden in last election.  The stats referenced Biden votes and trump votes.  It did not go with party affiliation.

• Like 1

This board is full of very intelligent people. We have engineers, attorneys, nurses, CPA’s, but none of us are virologists. Speaking for myself, I’m not smart enough to interpret 99.9% of the peer reviewed studies that have come out over the last two years, so I do what I always do in life. I defer to the experts in the field. Some will call me a sheep for that, but they can kiss my ass. I’m just doing the intelligent thing to do. Listening to Uncle Elmo on his podcast spewing conspiracy theories isn’t very intelligent.

• Like 8
  • Cheers 2

15 hours ago, CV147 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/katu.com/amp/news/coronavirus/oregon-working-to-put-indoor-mask-rule-in-place-indefinitely

You all see this?

Bizarre to me. They say they can repeal it. I am not convinced they would do so easily.

They’ve done this before and repealed it. Oregon law only gives temporary authority to the state for things like public health mandates, so the only way to extend it is to make it “permanent” and then repeal. Same as they did with outdoor mask mandates. Same as they did this summer will other restrictions.

I don’t know if it’s necessary or not, but the majority of Oregonians seem to support the approach.

13 hours ago, sean327 said:

This board is full of very intelligent people. We have engineers, attorneys, nurses, CPA’s, but none of us are virologists. Speaking for myself, I’m not smart enough to interpret 99.9% of the peer reviewed studies that have come out over the last two years, so I do what I always do in life. I defer to the experts in the field. Some will call me a sheep for that, but they can kiss my ass. I’m just doing the intelligent thing to do. Listening to Uncle Elmo on his podcast spewing conspiracy theories isn’t very intelligent.

Yes!

I do not have the background or knowledge to interpret scientific data on my own. My skill is in finances/accounting and I only have an amateur's grasp of interpreting scientific data and how it relates to public health. Find reliable outlets for information that have a long track record of responsible reporting and trust them to report data In a way that the untrained person can understand it. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Bob said:

huh? A six percentage point difference in ages 50- 99+ is certainly significant! How many millions of people does that equate to in the ages that are most affected by the virus?'

Plus, as was already pointed out to you, blue counties were hit harder in the beginning of the pandemic and those who were going to die did it earlier. So there really isn't much to be gleaned from your cherry picked graph.

Lol. Bob complaining about cherry picking.

I provided the link to the article; you should try that - oh wait, you rely on tweets. The article looked at data from 3,000 counties across the US:

NPR looked at deaths per 100,000 people in roughly 3,000 counties across the U.S. from May 2021, the point at which vaccinations widely became available. People living in counties that went 60% or higher for Trump in November 2020 had 2.78 times the death rates of those that went for Biden. Counties with an even higher share of the vote for Trump saw higher COVID-19 mortality rates. 

In October, the reddest tenth of the country saw death rates that were six times higher than the bluest tenth, according to Charles Gaba, an independent health care analyst who's beentracking partisanship trends during the pandemic and helped to review NPR's methodology. Those numbers have dropped slightly in recent weeks, Gaba says: "It's back down to around 5.5 times higher."

You tout the importance of a six percent difference. Fine. The article is discussing differences of several hundred percent. I bolded passages in the quote above to make it easy for you. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Lol. Bob complaining about cherry picking.

I provided the link to the article; you should try that - oh wait, you rely on tweets. The article looked at data from 3,000 counties across the US:

NPR looked at deaths per 100,000 people in roughly 3,000 counties across the U.S. from May 2021, the point at which vaccinations widely became available. People living in counties that went 60% or higher for Trump in November 2020 had 2.78 times the death rates of those that went for Biden. Counties with an even higher share of the vote for Trump saw higher COVID-19 mortality rates. 

In October, the reddest tenth of the country saw death rates that were six times higher than the bluest tenth, according to Charles Gaba, an independent health care analyst who's beentracking partisanship trends during the pandemic and helped to review NPR's methodology. Those numbers have dropped slightly in recent weeks, Gaba says: "It's back down to around 5.5 times higher."

You tout the importance of a six percent difference. Fine. The article is discussing differences of several hundred percent. I bolded passages in the quote above to make it easy for you. 

If you look within states like Oregon (and I'm sure California), county differences in case rates and death rates can be really stark. In Oregon, where there is a distinct geographic difference in political makeup it is obvious. Blue counties such as the Portland area's Multnomah, Washington, and Clackamas, as well as Lane (Eugene), Benton (Corvallis), and purple Deschutes (Bend) are dramatically better than red Eastern and Southern Oregon counties such as Malheur (think Wildlife Refuge takeover) and Harney (where Bundy and his merry band of idiots were headed when they were arrested). Almost all of the Eastern Oregon counties have a vax rate of less than 50%, too. Now, the population ranges are wide from Multnomah, the state's largest, to counties such as Malheur. But the trends certainly seem to point in a certain direction.

Here is the latest data, from the NYT, to illustrate:

1296270077_ScreenShot2021-12-07at8_45_01AM.png.0d62c4d1ba2578b83f4f3c0b81228751.png

• Like 2